Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: American Green TF Skin Disease?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    I don't think I have the money to take him to a vet. How much (ballpark) would it cost for a test like that? Is there anything I can get "over the counter" to treat this?

  2. #2
    Paul Rust
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripe46 View Post
    I don't think I have the money to take him to a vet. How much (ballpark) would it cost for a test like that? Is there anything I can get "over the counter" to treat this?
    I'm sorry, you cannot treat it with over-the-counter drugs. You need calcium sandoz syrup and amphibian ringers solution that you can only get from a vet. Call a local vet and if the animal was wild they might treat it for free. As a last resort and desperate attempt to save it you can try heating the enclosure to 95F for four hours and then letting it cool back down to room temperature. This might kill the frog but do not go over 95F. Do this once a day until symptoms clear. This is not a full treatment and it may die anyway. If I couldn't do anything else I would try this instead of doing nothing, but that's just me. One last note here, having a good prior relationship with a vet before you need one is a good Idea. I'm very sorry I can't do more.

  3. #3
    scribbles
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    If it is living with another frog, the other frog will also need to be tested.

  4. #4
    Paul Rust
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
    If it is living with another frog, the other frog will also need to be tested.
    Absolutely.
    Keep in mind that I don't know if it is chytrid, I'm just giving you an educated guess at best. But be assured, I don't give knee jerk opinions and if I don't have any idea I will tell you that, I have seen this disease before, that's why I suggest it might be chytrid.

  5. #5

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Ok well here is a little history on the matter. Before I new what I was doing I contacted a mail order dealer in Florida, I told them what species I was interested in. They told me that they would all be fine housed together in a 20 gallon tall aquarium. Originally It was (2) red-eyed tree frogs, (2) green tree frogs, and 1 Vietnamese blue tree frog. That was in august of 2008 since then both red-eyeds and the Vietnamese blue have died. Starting about 8 months after I got them first one red eyed, then the second, then the Vietnamese. Finally I talked to someone who knew something and they stated the obvious (don't house different species together) but after that the two green tree frogs seemed great. I clean their cage regularly, the only time I slipped up was a long weekend where i couldn't get someone to come and spray them, and it go so dry in the cage that both frogs buried themselves. I have since separated the two. The problem is that getting my car inspected is going to be extremely expensive, and I just cant swing a vet bill right now, and probably wont be able to for a month or so.

  6. #6
    scribbles
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    How long have the two been separated? If you do end up trying the heating method Paul suggested, and can keep the frog alive until you can afford it, I would still test both frogs for chytrid.

  7. #7

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by scribbles View Post
    How long have the two been separated? If you do end up trying the heating method Paul suggested, and can keep the frog alive until you can afford it, I would still test both frogs for chytrid.
    They have been separated for less than a day, here is a pic of the other


  8. #8
    Paul Rust
    Guest

    Default Re: American Green TF Skin Disease?

    Quote Originally Posted by NW Amphibian Rescue View Post
    Absolutely.
    Keep in mind that I don't know if it is chytrid, I'm just giving you an educated guess at best.
    Just giving you a direction to explore

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help Red eye skin problem ??
    By JasonW in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: April 18th, 2010, 06:01 PM
  2. Metabolic Bone Disease?
    By Aimee in forum Aquatic Clawed Frogs
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 9th, 2009, 10:50 PM
  3. Feeding American Green Treefrogs
    By into in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM
  4. How to Care for a Sick Frog with Red Leg Disease?
    By Crazy Frog in forum General Discussion & News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 6th, 2009, 02:00 AM
  5. Frog fungus/disease
    By Octopus in forum Pacman Frogs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 15th, 2008, 11:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •