Thread: Experience with Leptopelis uluguruensis??

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Experience with Leptopelis uluguruensis??

I'm really interested in these frogs but have found very little information on them. Does anyone here have experience with them? Is there another type of frog they should be raised similarly to that I could do some research? Has there been successful breeding yet in the US, or are the ones sold here primarily wild caught?

I'm torn between this frog and Polypedates dennysi... but considering the lack of information regarding the Ruby Eyes...I think I may end up going with the Viet. Blue tree frog.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Experience with Leptopelis uluguruensis??

I have had a pair for 4 years now. They are one of my favorite tree frogs with lots of character and oh so freakin cute!
    The ones sold are always WC there is no one known that had ever bred them I don't think. I tried to a few months ago as my female is gravid but nothing ever came of it.
    If you can find some I'd definitely go with these! Superior to the other ones you want.

Not really sure what to compare them to care wise. They are from a mountainous area in the wild, not at the peak though more in the middle in a forest. I did a lot of research on the area where they live. The temperatures are on the cooler side, throughout the year range from 20 C to 25 C (68 F to 77 F) They should never exceed 25 C. So average room temperature with a 13w 5% UVB compact bulb on them is enough, focus on keeping them cooler rather than warmer.
    You can either keep them on eco earth substrate as they sometimes burrow, or you can keep them on a reptile carpet or similar. I have kept them on both with no problems. They like a large water dish/area. Moderately mist them at night when the lights go out. They don't like it directly on them though so try and avoid them while misting. Humidity I would say maybe around 60%? I have never found a hygrometer that works correctly so I gave up on them, misting them once or twice a day is enough. They like a lot of space so the bigger the terrarium you can get the better, they are extremely active bouncing and climbing around all night so will make use of all the space you give them. I have 2 in a exo terra 18x18x24. Try and get as many as you can afford as being WC sometimes some of them unfortunately don't make it. If you have questions you can PM me. I have alot of pictures and some videos of them on instagram. http://instagram.com/the_frog_keeper#

2.2.0 - Giant Waxy Monkey Frogs
    2.4.0 - White's Tree Frogs 1.3.0 - Red Eyed Tree Frogs
    5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs 1.2.0 - Tomato Frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thank you!

I have been reading about these babies nonstop for a week now, but most information I find is 2+ years old.

I have found some that are currently available, but I do not have a viv set up for them yet. I'm thinking maybe it would be good to snap them up today while I can and keep them in a simple hospital tank (paper towel as substrate, water dish, fake plastic plants that are easy to clean,) that I already have clean and ready to use, while I get the viv together. I read that they tend to be disease prone because they're WC so that might be a good idea for observation anyway. All I really need is a new batch of plantation soil and live plants. I already have everything else needed from having used the viv a few years ago and just need to wash it all up. Really, I could have a fully planted viv by the weekend ready for these guys.

Nationality
    [United States]

If going with the Ruby Eyes; also recommend practice a strict quarantine with them until tested for parasites and exposure to Chytrid fungus. Andaroo discussed their care well, think read they also need full darkness to become active at night. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Would I quarantine them each individually? I have enough 10 gal tanks to do so if ordering 3 of them, but would rather not have to set all 3 up. I would not keep them in the same room as my grays because I will not take any risk of contaminating them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    Would I quarantine them each individually? I have enough 10 gal tanks to do so if ordering 3 of them, but would rather not have to set all 3 up. I would not keep them in the same room as my grays because I will not take any risk of contaminating them.
    Lynn wrote the best answer to your question in here: http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...uarantine.html .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

8. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Awesome, thank you. I will have to pick up one more light then tonight and all 3 will be set and ready, given they have 3 in stock. I just emailed them and am waiting on a response.

Nationality
    [Canada]

They don't need complete darkness. Mine aren't bothered if there is dim lighting on in the room. I put the main light on in the room to tong feed them and that doesn't bother them either. Also a simple quarantine setup is a great idea i always do this for new frogs easy to keep clean and check on them and see if they are eating. I would quarantine them all together since they are coming from the same place. Only seperate them if you arent sure if they are eating or not but they are greedy and have a quick feeding response. Dont rush their main tank you should Keep them in quarantine until they are eating and waking up regularly and such.

5.1.0 - Uluguru Forest Tree Frogs 2.0.0 - Amazon Milk Frogs 1.2.0 - Tomato Frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about not rushing the new viv. I'll still get it done, but gives it time for the plants to establish before a frog tramples them LOL. I will quarantine them separately I think until I at least get individual fecal samples and tests done. I still haven't heard back from the company and they were closed before I left work, so I couldn't call them. I will have to do that in the morning. I don't want to order 3 and then have them say "Oh, we're only sending you one." A lot of money to pay out for shipping if it only lives a few days because of the stress from shipping or being WC.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about not rushing the new viv. I'll still get it done, but gives it time for the plants to establish before a frog tramples them LOL. I will quarantine them separately I think until I at least get individual fecal samples and tests done. I still haven't heard back from the company and they were closed before I left work, so I couldn't call them. I will have to do that in the morning. I don't want to order 3 and then have them say "Oh, we're only sending you one." A lot of money to pay out for shipping if it only lives a few days because of the stress from shipping or being WC.
    just have them in decent sized plastic containers with fly screen / mesh. Cut out a big section of the lid put a piece of the mesh over the container so it over hangs on all sides and then the cutout lid to hold the mesh in place. They dont need proper terrariums or anything for quarantine and dont worry about any kind of lightbulb for them now either as long as the room is bright enough during the day so they know when its day and night.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

The place I was looking to get these still has not responded to any of my inquiries. They also do not guarantee amphibians when shipping. I think I may be better off passing this one up right now and looking for these little guys at an expo or from dealers that will, at the very least, have a guarantee for live arrivals.

Nationality
    [Canada]

The place I was looking to get these still has not responded to any of my inquiries. They also do not guarantee amphibians when shipping. I think I may be better off passing this one up right now and looking for these little guys at an expo or from dealers that will, at the very least, have a guarantee for live arrivals.
    They are really rare you will have a hard time finding them at expo or anywhere else. I had my 2 shipped to me and they weren't stressed from it. Heck I even had them flown over from the UK to Canada when I moved 3 years ago and that didn't bother them either LOL

Nationality
    [United States]

Just a quick opinion here, but I wouldn't buy any amphibian if it wasn't guaranteed live arrival.....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I think I'm going to put this species out of my mind completely. Considering there has been no successful breeding in captivity yet, I do not see the purpose in buying these frogs. All I can offer this species is a further decline when you consider extremely experienced herpetologists cannot get them to breed. I will look for something already captive bred, or that I know I would have a chance of breeding in order to expand the species. I spent several hours last night reading about failed attempts at breeding, and females dying as a result of becoming gravid with no release. I do not want to contribute to that. I'll leave it up to the experts to continue trying to get these beautiful babies to breed. Maybe, someday, if they're successful, I will be able to keep some!

Thanks for all of the input I got here though! It was very helpful and did help me to make a decision!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Bumping because I was researching these! I'd want one, but only if they could breed in captivity and weren't taken from the wild.

18. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

They are amazing and I have been keeping a close eye on their progress. So far, it's possible that there is one place in Europe that has secretly successfully bred these in captivity. There have never been any captive bred Leptopelis uluguruensis available for purchase yet at this point though. Lots of people get the females to become gravid, but are not able to get them to successfully lay. This is because they are so particular about how they breed! They breed in the sand/dirt along rivers and then the river floods washing the new tadpoles in. It is so specific that it has been nearly impossible to replicate. Because of that, I refuse to deplete the wild caught population by purchasing them. However, the second they're available as captive bred, they're mine lol. And I'll let you know if I ever find them, Elly!

20. 2 members thank LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

There are two color morphs - green-backed and brown-backed. The green-backed frogs have pale spots or rings on the back, resembling fungus on a log. The throat of breeding males is sky blue. They are a forest species from the mountains of Tanzania. Breeding is unknown. They are a nice looking frog,
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

22. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Thread Information