Thread: How long can a froglet go whitout eating?

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Default How long can a froglet go whitout eating?

Hey guys!
    Got a baby Pacman frog last thursday the size of........ 1/3 of a bic lighter...ish. the problem is it hasnt eaten anything since it got home. been trying to lure it, but nothing showing no intrest at all.
    Should i be worried? or just keep it cool for a ouple of Days. Found this forum searching for the answer to my question.

Some basic info.

Keept on wet papers towel. Plastic leaves to hide under.

Aqua safe is used in every drop of water.

Temperatures range 26-28 Daytime and 24-26 Nighttime.

UTH used on side of plastic terrarium/faunarium. the frog is in a smaller White plastic container inside of the bigger faunarium (the frog cant see outside its own Little container as i have another in the same setup but a bit bigger like 2/3 of bic lighter). I find it easier to Control temp and humidity that way. I have plastic wrap 2/3 of the Went holes in the faunarium.

Been trying to feed it Worms and mealworms ( i know not god, but got them with the frog and tryed desperatly after it didnt want Worm cuttings) I have also ordered repashys grub pie to try. Ive tried tong feeding it and just putting in a small bowl with food in it.

Calcium/d3 and multivitamin is used every feeding. Not at same time though.

I currently have two Pacman Babies one is a Apricot (size is like 2/3 of a bic lighter) eats like a champ. And one green (1/3 of bic lighter) haveeaten nothing. Got them both att the same time. Also have a older frog that is Brown, didnt get him as a baby so im new to this froglet stuff

So, what do you guys Think. Should i be worried or just keep it cool for a couple of Days and hope for it to settle in properly? I only try to feed it at night and do like so i try one time for a Little bit, then stop if it shows no intrest. Leave it for a couple of hours and then try a different feeder worm/mealworm.

Appreciate the help!!//KingKhan

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: How long can a froglet go whitout eating?

Hi, ya im thinking the same as you are that he probably just needs abit more time but I wouldn't let him go to much longer. They are all different, I have 2 that ate as champs the first night home and my third guy took him about 4 days to settle and eat. Just keep trying and if it goes to much longer you may have to try and force feed, but keep this as last resort because its very stressfull for them. Were is the gauge sitting inside your tanks? is it in the one with him or in the bigger one that the smaller is in? If its not in the small one I would put it there and see what the temp is, it may abit cooler in the small one and he may need a little bit more heat to get his metabolism going.

Nationality
    [United States]

a nice warm bath definitely helps before feeding. my two little ones eat every several days now, but when i first got them my one ate great the other didnt eat till several days later but now a month later his appetite is getting more frequent. so i guess every frog is different, my big guy eats every other week or more so. just keep them warm and hydrated till they want to eat as well as try different moving insects ( dubia roaches,hornworms, earthworms, butterworms etc)

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Hello and thanks for the reply! i have put one probe in the faunarium and one probe each in the White containers. The one in the faunarium says its 28,2Celsius right now and the ones in the plastic containers says 27,5Celsius. I Think its maybe a bit to Cold for the small ones? ive put the Little guy in a warm bath right now and gonna try feed him in a while. Im gonna up the temp a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by monster View Post
    Hi, ya im thinking the same as you are that he probably just needs abit more time but I wouldn't let him go to much longer. They are all different, I have 2 that ate as champs the first night home and my third guy took him about 4 days to settle and eat. Just keep trying and if it goes to much longer you may have to try and force feed, but keep this as last resort because its very stressfull for them. Were is the gauge sitting inside your tanks? is it in the one with him or in the bigger one that the smaller is in? If its not in the small one I would put it there and see what the temp is, it may abit cooler in the small one and he may need a little bit more heat to get his metabolism going.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Thanks for the reply. Yeah there definetly individuals The Apricot one (named peaches) is cool and laid back most of the time, any sudden "big" movement make her bolt away thou. But all in all chilled out and looking for a meal as soon as you open the lid to her container.
    The Little green one is the troubled one, really scared when u open the lid and trys to jump out of the container puffs up a bit. really really not intrested of the food, just trying to get away. Trying a bath right now as i write this, temp of the water is 29celsius and treated with aqua safe. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    And im going to the petstore today to pick up a bit of different feeders to see what triggers him/her the best.

Quote Originally Posted by MissFroggyToes View Post
    a nice warm bath definitely helps before feeding. my two little ones eat every several days now, but when i first got them my one ate great the other didnt eat till several days later but now a month later his appetite is getting more frequent. so i guess every frog is different, my big guy eats every other week or more so. just keep them warm and hydrated till they want to eat as well as try different moving insects ( dubia roaches,hornworms, earthworms, butterworms etc)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Have you found any poop from the one that hasn't eaten since you have had him? If not he might have have a little bit of an impaction from them feeding at the store and this would cause him not to want to eat. If he hasn't when you give him a bath put a couple drops of honey into the water and let him sit in here for about 20 mins. Make sure the water isn't deeper then his chin, put him in dark quiet room while hes in this bath and you can put a towel over his bath to help keep the water warm. After this just give him a normal bath with no honey to wash the honey residue off. He may go in one of the baths or he could go back in his enclosure. But if he has went to the bathroom disregard this for now but if you have any pooping problems down the road this usually works.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

He took a "massive" dump yesterday actually, forgot to write that in the first post!

Thanks for the honey tip, will try it down the road if needed!

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Update for you guys!

Still no eating or intrest there of. Have tried....hm, Think its called Nightcrawlers? the mealworms i got with the frogs and a dubia nymph.
    Still looks in great Health though and is alert and aware.

Will update again when something new comes up. Will try the honey bath tomorrow night after work.

Thread Information