Thread: Pacman Frog help

Default Pacman Frog help

Hello, I recently got a baby Pac-Man Frog and I’ve done a ton of research but I still feel like I need some help. I got it on Saturday the 24th and I currently have it in a 16 quart (4 gallon) Sterilite container. I know it’s recommended to have them in a 10 gallon - 20 gallon but I thought since it’s so small that it wouldn’t need so much space at the moment and since they also move very little. I also put in about 4 inches of Eco Earth Coco Fiber so it can burrow pretty deep. When I brought it home though, it burrowed (like they do) but has been like that since Saturday (so approximately 5 days). I know they go into a state of estivation and moving into a new environment can be stressful so it takes them awhile to get accustomed to their new surroundings. However, I’ve noticed that the temperature usually gets about 75 - 77 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and gets to about 71 - 73 at night so I’m worried that it might be too cool in there during the day. I currently have two digital thermometers/hydrometers in there. There’s an Acurite one and another I can’t remember the brand name of. Both get different readings but usually the Acurite is more accurate. They will occasionally show the same humidity percentage. With that in mind, I also made the mistake of misting it too much. As far as my two digital thermometer/hydrometers say the humidity has started to climb down from 81% to about 66%. But it will occasionally spike back up to about 70% on both digital readers. I haven’t misted since Sunday and as far as I can tell the substrate seems to be damp. I have a small water dish in there also with some fake leaves/vine. I did attempt to dig and see if it was alright. I dug 2 inches deep and a little part of it was sticking out but idk what part of its body. Maybe the head? When I touched it though, it did twitch. So it’s definitely alive. Here are my questions: is it burrowed mainly because of not enough heat? Or because it’s stressed atm? And with the burrowing in mind should I wait for it to come out when it’s ready or go ahead and move it to a bigger enclosure? Letting the humidity getting down to what it is now and misting once a day alright as well? Also with the heat does anyone have any recommendations about ceramic heat emitters? I attempted to use a heat pad but it quickly came undone so I’m definitely not using that again. I was thinking when I get the chance to upgrade to an Exo Terra 18 x 18 x 18 terrarium and getting an Arcadia Deep Heat Projector. Sorry I promise I have done research and have compared several care sheets and documents but I still feel very lost. I’m just trying to be the best possible keeper that I can be.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Pacman Frog help

Thos Temperatures are perfect and a 16qt bin is just fine for a baby frog. I would dig him up and give him a good spray down and offer him some food

Quote Originally Posted by BeckExotics View Post
    Thos Temperatures are perfect and a 16qt bin is just fine for a baby frog. I would dig him up and give him a good spray down and offer him some food
    Thank you for such a quick reply! I should’ve mentioned that I use a temp gun as well and it is currently buried in the cooler side which is about 71 - 72 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve just seen in so many different places that it has to be 80 - 82 or else it will cause serious health problems. But again thank you.

if you want to wake him up and do a help check put him in a small empty container with a little bit of water about a half an inch depending on size more or less and spray him for about 5 to 10 minutes

if you want to wake him up and do a help check put him in a small empty container with a little bit of water about a half an inch depending on size more or less and spray him for about 5 to 10 minutes
    I tried offering him food (a cricket) but he wouldn’t eat. He is breathing/moving. I might just be overthinking and I don’t want to disturb it anymore than I need to. I still feel like it’s not warm enough so I’m looking into the Arcadia Deep Heat Projector.

He wont eat unless you do the soaking and spray him to wake him fully out of the mood he is in. Which is basically like when you first wake up and are still out of it and dont know what is really going on

He wont eat unless you do the soaking and spray him to wake him fully out of the mood he is in. Which is basically like when you first wake up and are still out of it and dont know what is really going on
    Oh alright i’ll do that then

Quote Originally Posted by Wenzel View Post
    Oh alright i’ll do that then
    Alright I tried that but the little guy was not having it. He just hopped around and when I tried offering a cricket he just ignored it.

Alright I tried that but the little guy was not having it. He just hopped around and when I tried offering a cricket he just ignored it.
    Actually I take back what I said. I put him back in his enclosure and waited and he decided to stay above ground and I offered him a cricket and he ate it! I offered him two more dusted Crickets and he ate them right up!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Temp is way too cold. You don't keep them at room temp.

Glad that the frog ate finally. Probably adjusting to the new home. Try and get those temps a little higher. You really don't want to be much lower than 78° for day time temps. With improper temps you run the risk of health issues in the long run.

Other than that you seem to be doing okay.

I agree I should have been more clear about daytime/nighttime temps. Usually wanna be between 76/84 as your day time temps and can drop too about 70 as your night time temps

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Even 70° at night is a little on the cool side. It should hover around 74 to 76 at night and 78 to 86 for day. Occasionally it wouldn't hurt to drop that low, but consistent drops to 70° can be troublesome.

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Even 70° at night is a little on the cool side. It should hover around 74 to 76 at night and 78 to 86 for day. Occasionally it wouldn't hurt to drop that low, but consistent drops to 70° can be troublesome.
    Oh I know I definitely need to bump up that daytime temp up. It’s never gone below 71 at night but it definitely doesn’t even need to be that low. I’m getting paid soon so I know I need to add some heating. I tried a UTH to the side but it wouldn’t seal properly because of the bin sticking out in a weird way. I removed it without thinking and it immediately malfunctioned. I was thinking of cutting the top open and putting a mesh with a deep heat projector but I feel like it would be too close it might cook the little guy. So I might just have to upgrade him entirely? Or should I go ahead and get something immediately? If you have any other suggestions I’m open to them. Maybe a 10 gallon aquarium? I saw one on Amazon and its height is about 13 inches.

Oh I know I definitely need to bump up that daytime temp up. It’s never gone below 71 at night but it definitely doesn’t even need to be that low. I’m getting paid soon so I know I need to add some heating. I tried a UTH to the side but it wouldn’t seal properly because of the bin sticking out in a weird way. I removed it without thinking and it immediately malfunctioned. I was thinking of cutting the top open and putting a mesh with a deep heat projector but I feel like it would be too close it might cook the little guy. So I might just have to upgrade him entirely? Or should I go ahead and get something immediately? If you have any other suggestions I’m open to them. Maybe a 10 gallon aquarium? I saw one on Amazon and its height is about 13 inches.
    Actually I just bit the bullet and bought a Exo Terra 18x18x12 Enclosure and Arcadia Deep Heat Projector. The enclosure should arrive Wednesday but idk when the DHP is suppose to arrive. Hopefully, he can just hold out for a little longer and it arrives soon.

Thread Information