Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Poor frog!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Poor frog!

Sounds good! She’s about the size of a computer mouse, if I remember correctly. I have been trying to keep the handling down to a minimum, just to keep her and her skin healthy. When I take the pictures though I can measure her. So far the only times I have touched her were to check her leg when I mist her (with dechlorinated water, of course).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Awesome!

Nationality
    [United States]

These are the pictures I have of her- so a little smaller than I originally said. Her leg was looking better today, and today was the first day she didn’t drag her leg. You can still see where the bone was having an issue, but her foot and lower leg isn’t twisting anymore. It was really quick, so I’m hoping within a week she will be totally healed??
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Nationality
    [United States]

That doesn’t look bad at all, looks like you’re doing a great job housing her! She’s a cutie. Make sure to watch for any sign of infection, fungus or swelling.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds good! Thank you so much!!!

7. This member thanks LetsSayWellRounded for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey! Just an update on Aomaris! She is doing well. Her leg is a bit limper today than yesterday and she’s having a little bit of trouble keeping control of it, but I think it’s just because I let her move around a little too much. The good news is, today she’s shedding! So, I think tomorrow I’m going to try some live crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

That’s great! Good that she seems to have fight in her. Crickets is a good idea, just make sure you remove their jumping legs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds good! Thank you so much!!!

Nationality
    [United States]

Hey! I’m getting her supplements today, do you have any brands you suggest? It’s been a few years since I’ve had reptiles, and I’ve never kept this species of frog. Do you think she needs D3, or do you think she’s fine with plain calcium?

Nationality
    [United States]

I got her the one with D3. I got both crickets and superworms, so I’ll see what she likes better. I coated a super worm and put it in her tank (she wouldn’t take it, even from the tongs, which I think is a good thing, it means she’s getting stronger. What could have been mistaken for trust earlier in her recovery was just pain, I think), and I’ll see if she eats it in an hour. Tomorrow I’ll do the same with a cricket.

13. This member thanks LetsSayWellRounded for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here is my advice for crickets

This is how I keep Banded Crickets. They can last for 6-7 months and maybe longer I stopped count doing it this way.

Get a large plastic bin and drill air holes on the too of the lid.

Buy Mazuri Better Bug Gutload as the food for all your feeders and give it fresh two times a week to the crickets. You can and I recommend add in with the gutload Tetrafauna Reptocal with D3. This will give D3 along with more nutrients to the cricket and to your toad.

Add repashy crested gecko diet and whatever repashy supplements to the gutload and calcium this makes the food smell better and attract the crickets. It adds more variety to their food. I use the color enhancer with this but it's not really anything necessary.

Get Flukers Cricket Gel for a water source. It's kind of like giving the crickets Jello and the cricket gel has calcium in it to also help boost the crickets nutrition up for your animals.

there's a lot more you can do with the diet but this is just the base and most important part that I'm explaining. Next you purchase a bulk amount of crickets from like Josh's Frogs or from Rainbow Mealworms. I'd say if you have a lot of animals somewhere between 200 to 1k could last you a very long time.

The next step is very important you want to allow the crickets to have to or even three days if you're not in a rush to eat the food and drink the gel that you have provided. Doing this allows you to make sure the crickets have eaten and they are nutritious for your animals. The gutload actually says this on the instructions.

if you want to breed the crickets they are very easy to breed in captivity and you could continue to have a living colony if you want. I am just covering the basics of keeping crickets for three to four months.

I just tried roaches and they are the alternative to crickets. I am not generally sold on roaches I like using crickets more for the sound and for the hunt. I have large enclosures and I enjoy allowing my animals to hunt. There is nothing wrong with roaches but I have found great success with banded crickets. I have not had a cricket die in the last 4 months of keeping them and I got them when they were small. there have not been any that have bread in my bin either. I have replenished only once or even maybe twice but I have not had one Cricket died. This used to give me headaches and is why I switched the species of cricket I use and why I buy in bulk now. If you want to know more about how to feed the crickets to your animals and how to keep them alive I would gladly explain to you more in detail if you want. The nice thing about this species of cricket is that they are not aggressive and handling them by hand I have never been bitten by them unlike the other crickets you would receive in the pet store. They have never attacked my frogs or toads and I feel very comfortable with using them and calling them my staple feeder. I obviously use multiple feeders but they are the most important feeder that I keep and I make sure that I have good sanitary conditions for them as well as provide buffet style meals and I also make sure to keep up with them two to three times a week. Imagine A farm with many cows living but they are happy well-fed able to reproduce and they are nutritious for everybody to eat. This is the philosophy that I approached with having right now my crickets and also my mealworm colony. I hope this helps you.

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

15. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so much! I got banded crickets and superworms when I went to the store, and so far it seems that she prefers the superworms. I’m thinking the crickets move around too much for her. Right now, the frog, crickets, and worms are all out in my garage (in separate enclosures), but I think I will be bringing them inside this week. It’s getting a little chilly. Thank you so much for the advice!!

Nationality
    [United States]

So, not so great news. Aomaris’s leg IS healing (though a little crooked, she can still use it, which is a relief), however, she hasn’t eaten for about a week and a half. Out of desperation, this morning I mashed up some crickets and mealworms, mixed in some calcium powder, and had to force-feed her. She swallowed the first bite with some throat rubbing, but is holding on to the second. I’m hoping she will swallow when I leave. I’ve had to force feed small lizards and toads before, but never a frog. Is there an ‘off feed’ paste that I can use for her? She was doing so well, and I’ve grown really attached to her.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LetsSayWellRounded View Post
    So, not so great news. Aomaris’s leg IS healing (though a little crooked, she can still use it, which is a relief), however, she hasn’t eaten for about a week and a half. Out of desperation, this morning I mashed up some crickets and mealworms, mixed in some calcium powder, and had to force-feed her. She swallowed the first bite with some throat rubbing, but is holding on to the second. I’m hoping she will swallow when I leave. I’ve had to force feed small lizards and toads before, but never a frog. Is there an ‘off feed’ paste that I can use for her? She was doing so well, and I’ve grown really attached to her.
    Sorry to hear this. It could be the cooler temperature is effecting the metabolism of the frog. A supplement you can force-feed is this

Carnivore care Oxbow

I just ordered this. Search it on Amazon. Good luck!

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk

19. This member thanks Larry Wardog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you so so much!!! I thought it was the cold too, but her hip bones were jutting out, so I got nervous.

21. This member thanks LetsSayWellRounded for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry I didn’t reply y’all I been really busy Thanks so much Aaron!

23. This member thanks BossFrog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Just thought I’d give a little update- as I am still in high school and therefore living at home, I have to live by my mother’s rules. She’s been putting off transferring Aomaris to a bigger tank for a little while now, but I think within the next week she will be put in a bigger terrarium. For right now though, I haven’t gotten the off feed stuff yet, so I mashed up some freeze dried mealworms and mixed them with some calcium to turn into a paste for her. It was a little difficult to get her to take to it, but I think she’s going to do well eating this for now.
    Oh yeah! And I also made her an Instagram (just for fun lol, I thought it might be cute to watch her heal). It’s @aomaris_the_frog

25. This member thanks LetsSayWellRounded for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

That’s awesome! hope she gets better!

100+ Post Member Animallover3541's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LetsSayWellRounded View Post
    Just thought I’d give a little update- as I am still in high school and therefore living at home, I have to live by my mother’s rules. She’s been putting off transferring Aomaris to a bigger tank for a little while now, but I think within the next week she will be put in a bigger terrarium. For right now though, I haven’t gotten the off feed stuff yet, so I mashed up some freeze dried mealworms and mixed them with some calcium to turn into a paste for her. It was a little difficult to get her to take to it, but I think she’s going to do well eating this for now.
    Oh yeah! And I also made her an Instagram (just for fun lol, I thought it might be cute to watch her heal). It’s @aomaris_the_frog
    I'm also still living with my mother and a high school freshman, so I know what you mean about having issues getting her a larger tank. When I've needed cheap housing for frogs, especially bullfrogs, in the past I've gotten plastic totes (ex.sterilite bins). They're cheap, and you have hundreds of sizes to chose from. I hope this helps you save some many and take care of your frog!

And I'll make sure to follow her insta when I get a chance too.
    "If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."
    - James Herriot
    The first step towards fixing your flaws is recognizing that they exist.
    FFA & Livestock Judging
    1.0.0 Ball Python (Redstripe)
    1.1.0 D. versicolor
    0.0.1 Red Eared Slider
    1.0.0 A. fowleri (R.I.P 1/13/21, I miss you Herbie)

28. This member thanks Animallover3541 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you all so much for the wonderful advice. I’m sorry to say that Aomaris unfortunately passed away. She was doing really well, eating on her own and gaining weight again, when suddenly one day while I was at school, she just refused to go to the wet side of the tank. Coming home to that was really upsetting, but I’m glad that I at least tried to help her. Thank you again for all of your help.

30. 2 members thank LetsSayWellRounded for this post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information