Thread: Help!

NJHunterAZ

Unhappy Help!

I'm new here had frogs for awhile now. I left for vacation and our frogs were looked after properly while we gone. When we came back my Amazon Milk Frog was shedding she still has some skin stuck to her upon further looking I noticed that her left eye is now clouded over. Her right eye had started to cloud over as well. I know I don't have a photo attached right now to assist with help. I have scanned this site for possible further information and havent found anything similar. She has since been placed into a hospital tank. with nothing but paper towel which is changed out daily and a water dish changed now 2 times daily. This morning she had more skin shedding off of her but her eye is still clouded. She can still see and jump and is still eating as well. She also keeps her eye fully open. Her eye is also not white yet so it may still be viable. I don't know if this is due to a hard shed or not. I have not done any drops to her eyes yet. I read about the turtle drops helping and saline but was unsure of going that route so I have just tried to rub her eye with some water which seems to help a little as well as her soaking herself.

Her tank is as follows

Exo-terra 30 gallon with areas to perch up high which she was doing prior to the hospital tank move. I don't think she has an injury to her eye because she has been in that tank for a long time now. Substrate is peat moss with rocks on the very bottom. Rocks are not accessible at all there is a sufficent amount of soil. Humidity is kept in normal range.

Thanks for help or suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

NJHunterAZ

Default Re: Help!

Name:  20120803_232713.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  176.7 KBName:  20120803_232854.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  185.2 KBName:  20120803_232902.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  194.0 KB

here are photos.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Bacterial infection is very possible. Clouded eyes is a sign of a bacterial infection. Did the one looking after your frog rinse out the water dish with hot water and whipe it down before placing fresh de-chlorinated water in the dish and was this done daily?

NJHunterAZ

Upon noticing the frog which i'm totally reaming my husband for. I found out that he told her to just overflow the water. With further detail she did state that she over filled the water until it was somewhat clear but it had a film on it. At this point i'm irritated with the both of them and I feel so bad for her that this happened that I broke down and cried this morning. I did try saline solution last night but this morning it looked just the same. My husband said it looks bulged but it doesnt to me. She can still blink it as she would her healthy eye.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by NJHunterAZ View Post
    Upon noticing the frog which i'm totally reaming my husband for. I found out that he told her to just overflow the water. With further detail she did state that she over filled the water until it was somewhat clear but it had a film on it. At this point i'm irritated with the both of them and I feel so bad for her that this happened that I broke down and cried this morning. I did try saline solution last night but this morning it looked just the same. My husband said it looks bulged but it doesnt to me. She can still blink it as she would her healthy eye.
    Well that's the problem right there. Fresh water must be provided daily and the dish must be wiped out before placing fresh water in it. You may have to take her to a Vet that specializes in Amphibians because the eye may just be the only sign of infection showing. If she starts to have runny droppings or if its runny with blood in it, it could be Protozoan infection which like the eye will need antibiotics.

NJHunterAZ

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Well that's the problem right there. Fresh water must be provided daily and the dish must be wiped out before placing fresh water in it. You may have to take her to a Vet that specializes in Amphibians because the eye may just be the only sign of infection showing. If she starts to have runny droppings or if its runny with blood in it, it could be Protozoan infection which like the eye will need antibiotics.
    I am aware of that they need fresh water. Other thank the sign of her eye being clouded she is acting normal. She is still eating and able to jump about and isn't showing any signs of lethargy or runny stools or signs of blood. I saw on other sites that methylene blue would work with cloudy eyes do you think this would even help at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by NJHunterAZ View Post
    I am aware of that they need fresh water. Other thank the sign of her eye being clouded she is acting normal. She is still eating and able to jump about and isn't showing any signs of lethargy or runny stools or signs of blood. I saw on other sites that methylene blue would work with cloudy eyes do you think this would even help at this point?
    If she is acting strong enough right now, I would take her to a Vet asap, they can give you the right meds to use instead of trying some things. Good luck, beautiful baby BTW!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Thread Information