Thread: My pacman frog is not eating neither pooping!

Jason123

Default My pacman frog is not eating neither pooping!

I bought him before one week and he only ate 3 crickets.
    One night I put him in a small tub for 2 hours that was on a heating blanket.The tub was covered with a paper towel.There were 3 crickets with him.(2 small and 1 very big , almost the 2/3 of his lenght).After 2 hours I came to check and the giant crickets was missing!I think he ate but there is the possiblity it may have escaped cuz the tub was not covered pretty well.
    I haven't found any poop in his enclosure (30cmx30cmx30cm).
    I gave him 2 days before a luke warm bath with some drops of honey (dechlorinated water)but it didn't help to make him do his business.
    The last days I was rearanging some stuff in his enclosure cuz there were some problems, so I had to move the frog sometimes.(One day he bite me)
    Now I let him alone without touching him (I only spray his enclosure).
    Yesterday he was in his hide but today when I woke up he was in the middle of his terrarium.After some hour he went under a fake plant a he is still here.I think he is really shy
    He looks pretty chubby and not skinny.I tried many foods , like crickets(dusted and not),mealworms and waxworms.
    I dont know if I am overreacting but I am new to the hobby and I want to make sure that my frog will be happy and healthy!
    Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My pacman frog is not eating neither pooping!

You may be keeping him too cool, i had the same situation
    before with tomato frogs, a heat mat on the side or a ceramic
    bulb may work.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Jason123

I thought about that and I placed a heating pad on one side of the enclosure , not under it.I did that some days before so I think it is a temperature problem,
    but hank you

Nationality
    [United States]

What are the actual temps inside the tank? Also, the humidity? The reason I ask is because heat pads don't provide that much heat, and it's very localized... I keep mine on as sort of an emergency heat source in case something happens and the room's space heater accidentally gets turned off or unplugged, so my frog can huddle up against it until I can correct the problem (happened last night actually...). A bulb is really better for heating.
    Can you post the Trouble in the Enclosure sticky and answer all those questions including any changes you've made to his tank?

One thing about pacs is that they can hold so much water they can still look fat even when they are very thin. If you sit him in his water dish he will probably pee, then you can see whether he's really getting skinny or not.
    Can you feel very gently along your frog's right side? Sometimes frogs will stop eating and pooping when they have a blockage called an impaction. If you feel a lump on the right side, that's what it is. To treat that, I usually soak the frog for 10-15 minutes in honey water.

Nationality
    [United States]

Answer Dvirginiana's questions and the questions in the link. http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html

Repost the asweres here in your thread.

Jason123

1.30cmx30cmx30cm
    2.no other frogs
    4.25 celsius at the warm side and 20 celsius on the cold side
    5.spring water for misting and dechlorinated spring water for soaking
    6.plantation soil(I was using moss but I removed when I heard that it may cause and impaction)
    7.an artificial plant( Pet Supermarket )
    8.crickets,waxworms,mealworms
    9.reptivite , I cant answer that cuz he is not eating at all!
    10.no lighting , he is an albino
    11.a heating pad , sticked to the right side of the terrarium
    12.I don't know , maybe yesterday cuz I cant find the second crickets but maybe it is somewhere hidden
    13.YES! today
    14*
    15.I dont know, I think its a baby
    16.1 week
    17.captive bred
    18.No treats yet.I give him the food just before the lights turn off
    19.Very often cuz I have to check if he is ok
    20.high traffic area.
    21.I change the water in his water dish every other day and I mist his enclosure 2 times a day.

14*Name:  DSC_0083.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  49.7 KBName:  DSC_0085.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  43.5 KBName:  DSC_0086.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  45.8 KBName:  DSC_0089.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  32.2 KBName:  DSC_0091.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  41.1 KBName:  DSC_0092.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  29.5 KBName:  DSC_0093.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  43.0 KBName:  DSC_0094.jpg
Views: 3161
Size:  44.9 KB

The frog may looks chubby in this picture but when I woke up today I found a big poop(I think that the poop looks like a cricket , (the big one, remember?)I can almost see the feathers and the head of the cricket) and the frog was very skinny!
    I tried shaking the food in front of his mouth , but nothing, he ignores it.
    Help please!
    Thank you!

CHUBBY

Quote Originally Posted by Jason123 View Post
    1.30cmx30cmx30cm
    2.no other frogs
    4.25 celsius at the warm side and 20 celsius on the cold side
    5.spring water for misting and dechlorinated spring water for soaking
    6.plantation soil(I was using moss but I removed when I heard that it may cause and impaction)
    7.an artificial plant( Pet Supermarket )
    8.crickets,waxworms,mealworms
    9.reptivite , I cant answer that cuz he is not eating at all!
    10.no lighting , he is an albino
    11.a heating pad , sticked to the right side of the terrarium
    12.I don't know , maybe yesterday cuz I cant find the second crickets but maybe it is somewhere hidden
    13.YES! today
    14*
    15.I dont know, I think its a baby
    16.1 week
    17.captive bred
    18.No treats yet.I give him the food just before the lights turn off
    19.Very often cuz I have to check if he is ok
    20.high traffic area.
    21.I change the water in his water dish every other day and I mist his enclosure 2 times a day.

The frog may looks chubby in this picture but when I woke up today I found a big poop(I think that the poop looks like a cricket , (the big one, remember?)I can almost see the feathers and the head of the cricket) and the frog was very skinny!
    I tried shaking the food in front of his mouth , but nothing, he ignores it.
    Help please!
    Thank you!
    Foodwise, stay off the mealworms. They are hard to digest, and they carry minimal nutritional content. Stick to dusted crickets and dusted dew worms (nightcrawlers). Waxworms are fatty and should only be offered as treats. I use Herptivite and RepCal on my frog's food (RepCal every other day, Herptivite once a week). I'm not sure if you need another calcium supplement to go with your vitamin supplement since Reptivite offers D3 but I would double check with another board member. Feed your Pacman appropriately sized food items. You said you fed the frog a very large cricket which may have led to a longer digestion period, thus no pooping. Try feeding at night, they have a much better feeding response (though they will readily take anything throughout the day).

You mentioned you hold your frog often. I'd suggest to leave him completely alone until his eating habits have improved and until you start seeing growth development. I understand you have nothing but good intent but you may be causing more harm than good. The frog has been in your care for under a week, which means the frog will still be acclimating to his new surroundings. Leave him be and let his stress levels die down (change water and spot pick poops only). Try moving his cage into a lower traffic area of your house/apartment.

You should de-chlorinate the water you use for misting, just like you do for soaking. Another option is to mist with distilled water as this will keep mineral residue off your glass (DO NOT USE DISTILLED WATER FOR SOAKING PURPOSES).

That heating pad on the right side of your terrarium (If I can see the picture correctly), appears to be really big. Maybe another board member can chime in but I'd suggest something a little smaller. Make sure it's plugged into a thermostat (temps fluctuate).

Other than that, your answers to the other questions seem well in the range of the husbandry that is required for a healthy happy frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Chubby seems to have you covered.

I will also suggest as Chubby has that you get a smaller UTH(heat pad) to place on the side. A 6 inch x 8 inch heat pad would be better. You need to also be sure that you are providing a 12 hour day/night cycle for the frog. This can be acheived by keeping the frog in a room that is well lit by natural light, but keep the enclosure away from windows.

Offer smaller prey. Medium crickets should be fine. Earthworms are an excellent food as well.

Nationality
    [United States]

It seems like your temps are still too low. The ideal temp range for pacs is a daytime range of 80-82 Farenheit (26-28 C) and a nighttime range of 75-80 Farenheit (24-26). The temps on his low end are getting down below 70 Farenheit, which is low enough to make them not eat. You can use a red heat bulb for albinos, provided it is not more than 40 watts. And the red bulbs can be left on day and night, since most reptiles and amphibians can't see red light and it won't affect their day/night cycle.

Blaze1

Is a 50 wat infrared bulb pushing it DVirginiana?

Nationality
    [United States]

I don't really know... If I had to guess I'd say a 50 watt red bulb probably wouldn't cause one to go blind or anything, but especially with an albino I definitely wouldn't want to take the risk (if at all possible, not for a green/brown one either).

Nationality
    [Canada]

no, 50W infrared lamp is not pushing it. it is exactly what is needed. Jason - temps are way too low, remember what i told you before, TEMPS! get them up, if your heat mat is not getting temps where they need to be get 50W infrared heating lamp ( the fixture has be with a dimmer), you need a dimmer, as you tank is just 12" high.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Jason123

Thank you guys!
    This time I letted him the night with a waxworm and a mealworm(I know is hard to digest but I havent other food sources,my last crickets died).
    I think he ate the worms!I mean I searched the terrarium and the plantation soil but I didnt a find the worms, so he may ate them at the night.
    I thought that these frogs were eating machines!
    Mine is very shy, is this normal for a pacman?
    And about the lamp Pet Supermarket
    How do I place it?(do I need this thing ? Pet Supermarket )
    Thank you!

Jason123

anyone?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jason123 View Post
    anyone?
    The bulb will work, but you need a 50 watt not a 75.

With this type of bulb you need a Fluker's 5.5 inch clamp lamp with dimmer switch for the bulb to work correctly.

About the mealworms or waxworms. They will burrow into the substrate. It is hard to say whether he ate them kr they are just hiding in the substrate. These frogs are aggressive once they become comfortable with their home. You want to keep stress levelz as low as possible. The frog is just adjusting to its home. It needs to be kept in a quiet toom where it is away from loud noises and people constantly walking by and scaring it.
    Also when offering food do not turn on any bright lights. They are nocturnal so should be fed at night.

Jason123

Thank you!
    Unfortunately, I can only get exo terra products because the others are not available , so I am getting this I guess Pet Supermarket
    About the eating thing, I found a dead waxworm today in his terrarium , I think he ignores his food even when the lights are off.Today , when I opened the terrarium to remove the dead worm , he was active , so I dont think he is lethargig.But whenever I look at him , he is in the back corner off the terrarium ,he nevers moves or burrows.Most times , he is not sittting like a normal pacman frog,he is like he is ready to attack(eyes half closed,small pupils, and his front legs are not under his boddy,he is like he is ready to walk like a lizard and not hop around like a frog)
    I ll try my best to put his terrarium to a less trafic area.
    I have heard that many frogs go on a phase which is called aestivation, is it possible for him to be in that phase?
    Thank you!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Jason, sorry nobody replied and i can't get access to internet easy right now.
    have you fixed temps? he is not going to eat if temps are too low, you need to provide proper environment fast and you need to do it fast! and only then possibly after a few days settling in he'll probably eat for you.
    what are exact temps right now, day? night?

that lamp fixture that you're thinking is good, i don't see however if it has a dimmer switch, with a height of 30cm ( 12") it will be difficult to manage proper temps without it even with 50W infrared lamp, if you can't get with a dimmer then you need to get a controller of some sorts to maintain proper temps.

no, based on your description he is not aestivating.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

I would say that, right now, getting his temps up quickly is the most important thing. It probably wouldn't hurt anything if you went ahead and got the lamp, and then just got a dimmer switch as soon as possible... Babies are more sensitive to incorrect temps than adults, so that's why he's acting funny.

Jason123

Thank you!
    Unfortunately I dont know where can I get a dimmer switch.
    They only thing I found Is this Exo Terra : Light Cycle Unit / Electronic Dimming Terrarium Lamp Controller
    If this is not compatible with my lamp , can I have one of these lamps Exo Terra : Night Heat Lamp for night and the red one for the day?
    Thank you!

Thread Information