Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My setup!!!

pacman

Talking My setup!!!

I caught three american toads at a pond that had alot of eggs. I also have a green tree frog in there!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: My setup!!!

Very nice, but I wouldn't keep the two species together. Toads are toxic so they may end up poisoning the treefrog.

justin shockey

ya or eat him

Billy

I agree with Kurt and Justin. Those are nice toads, btw. Once they settle in, you shoud try getting them to accept food from your fingers. I love toads, and they make great pets.

justin shockey

ya they do but my fave is to take them to a ant mound and watch the mound on the ants

pacman

Talking Re: My setup!!!

Just got Eco-earth and live pothos plants!!!

Kurt

Cool, good luck with plants!

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by pacman View Post
    Just got Eco-earth and live pothos plants!!!
    Wow, looks nice with some live plants and eco earth. Btw, those aren't pothos. The plants you have are Dieffenbachias, also known as "Dumb Cane". Pothos are in the same family as Dieffenbachias, but with a major difference. Pothos are vining plants with heart-shaped leaves, and Dieffenbachias are also classified as "false palm trees". In normal house conditions, dumb canes usually grow slow. But get them into a humid green house, and they grow very fast and very tall. There are some that stay small, but even these reach about 4' tall in a green house.
    Unfortunately, they are also very toxic. I don't know if the sap would harm or kill a frog if absorbed through the skin. Dieffenbachias are called dumb canes because the sap has alkaloids, that if injested by pets or humans will cause the throat to swell up and the vocal chords to be inflamed for several days. This, on the mild side makes you unable to speak untill the inflamation to go away or lessen slightly. On the strong side, this can cause trouble breathing and or swallowing.
    As I stated, I don't know how the sap affects amphibians, but it's worth checking into. Pothos vines have similar compounds, but they only usually cause burning sensations in the mouth.
    I'm not telling you to not use these plants, but they will grow fast, and take up a lot of space. The sap's effects on amphibians is not known to me, but I'll do some research for curiositie's sake.

Kurt

If the plant oozes sap then by all means get rid of it, because it will poison your frogs. Remember amphibians absorb water through their skin, which means they can also absorb toxins as well. Their skin will not keep them out.

justin shockey

ya that sucks im sorry man

pacman

I just got a different one to today!!!

Kurt

A palm, I think they are safe but I can't swear to it. I did keep one before in a terrarium with a day gecko, but I have a history of killing plants and the palm faired no better than previous plants. I think the killing streak is over. I have a bromeliad that I got at the last show for $3. It has flowered and a new shoot has popped up on one side. So I think its thriving. It is in with a poison dart frog. The tank has a piece of sheet glass on top with about a 3/4" space which has a folded paper towel in it to keep the fruit flies from escaping. The tank has a false bottom and the humidity is rather on the high side. So I guess the secret to keeping a bromeliad in high humidity. My bromeliad looks like the one below but has yellow flowers that look like bananas coming out of red part. So I guess that I am recommending a bromeliad or two. I think I may get some more. I saw one that was pink with purple flowers.

justin shockey

looking good

Kurt

Yeah, they're awesome plants. The leaves form a cup in the middle that gathers rain water. Many dart frogs use bromeliads to lay their eggs in and to raise their tadpoles in.
    Also FYI, pineapple is a bromeliad and it is not a native of Hawaii. It originally came from South America.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I don't want to resurrect an old thread, but is it safe to keep one american toad in that size cage. because I so stumbled upon one of those on the street...
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]

Default My setup!!!

Yeah i think so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I recently moved into an apartment, on the third floor and I can't move my 20 gallon long up there so I need a small cage to keep Lola in, and all I have is an exo terra.
    "Look on the wall behind you. Look at that little girl's face. I know you've seen it. But you know what she's never going to be able to see? She's never going to be able to see the simple wonder of a leaf in her hand. Because there's not going to be any trees. Now you think about that."
    R.I.P. Lola
    R.I.P. Bandit

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLynch View Post
    I recently moved into an apartment, on the third floor and I can't move my 20 gallon long up there so I need a small cage to keep Lola in, and all I have is an exo terra.
    That is a bummer, I love the new viv you posted for Lola. What about a 10gal at least? I can find them around here for about $12, even cheaper if used. In fact, if you were ever up in the Milw area, I have an empty one that I'm not using at all right now that you're more than welcome to. I actually used it for an American toad, she was very happy in there.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Default My setup!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    That is a bummer, I love the new viv you posted for Lola. What about a 10gal at least? I can find them around here for about $12, even cheaper if used. In fact, if you were ever up in the Milw area, I have an empty one that I'm not using at all right now that you're more than welcome to. I actually used it for an American toad, she was very happy in there.
    Really? $12? Up where i live, a ten gallon costs about $30-40!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman1031 View Post
    Really? $12? Up where i live, a ten gallon costs about $30-40!

Yes, that's just the tank though, no lid or anything. I find them on sale pretty regularly for that price. Found several on CL too for the Chicago area - 10 Gallon tanks
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information