Thread: My frog died!

artangel86

Default My frog died!

I am not sure why but Norma Jean, the youngest of the 2 baby tree frogs, died. She jumped in her water bowl like she normal does and swam around, I noticed she was having a hard time getting out for some reason so i reached in to try and help her, tried a few times but she wouldnt latch on to my finger or the ledge and she is too tiny to try to pick up, and all of a sudden she just stuck her back legs straight out and was dead Idk why this happen, any suggestions? I tried to get her out but she just wouldnt grab on to anything. I am so sad now.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

artangel86

Default Re: My frog died!

Nevermind...i took her out of the water and laid her on the moss, when I came back she had gotten up and moved and I saw her blink. Maybe she was playing dead but I am soo happy she is still alive. Now if they would both eat something very soon!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Could be a defensive reflex. I hope they eat for you.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

artangel86

I am thinking thats it cause she is doing fine today it seems, just snuggled up to Dean. Now to get them to eat haha. I was told before to try and hand feed them but they dont like that at all!!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How long have you had the frogs?
    What sizes are they and what are you feeding them?
    Lets see if we can figure out why they are not eating for you.

Pics of the enclosure and the frogs sometimes helps too.

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Voltage

You knowI had a whites a long while back for a few months, and it did that when ever it went in water. It would "Swim" but looked dead with it's legs out.

artangel86

That is very interesting Voltage, I wonder if that what she is doing?

Don...

I will post some pics up for you to see. I have an exo terra medium sized habitat tall not long. I have had the frogs since they were tadpoles. They were brought to me out of a friends swimming pool and I raised them. The oldest got all 4 legs on July 29th and was put into a land habitat on August 2nd, simply because I was told they were supposed to have no tail left but a nub before moved to land. The second one got its legs on August 4th and I moved it to the habitat on the 5th. They both dont really move about a whole lot at all, they stick to pretty much one spot. I do get them out and check them to make sure they are still alive and try to get them to eat but they just wont eat anything for me. I have put in flightless fruitflies that were suggested to me because they are so tiny at this point that all they could eat otherwise (what I was told by petsmart) are pinheads and I cant find anyone around that sells pinheads. The others are too big at this point. The frogs were suggested by john on here to be P. Ferrariums more than likely and they are about the size of a dime right now. My oldest started out a dark green/gray color and has now changed to a pretty light color, sometimes almost white. My youngest is still a pretty dark green color/ gray color. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Name:  friends.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  85.4 KBName:  habitat 1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  58.4 KBName:  habitat 2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  61.6 KBName:  Dean.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  176.5 KBName:  Dean2.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  153.4 KBName:  Dean3.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  51.2 KBName:  Dean and Norma Jean.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  67.9 KBName:  Norma Jean.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  60.6 KBName:  Norma Jean and Dean.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  77.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'd put a small piece of banana in to keep the fruit flies coming to one area, somewhere near where the frogs seem to hang out.
    They are probably eating at night while you sleep, but you should try to order in some pinheads unless someone else chimes inwith a suggestion of an alternate food source.

They do look well in the pics.

artangel86

Ok thank you I will try that and see how it works Where would you suggest I order pinheads from? I have only found one place near me that gets them but they cant tell me any times, they just tell me to check back and each time I call I just get told they are about 2 weeks old now and too big.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Call Josh's Frogs and see if they have any in stock... shows they have 1/8 inch crickets at 7.99 for 500 count.
    Their number is: 1-800-691-8178

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Do you have 3 sides of the tank covered? With my spring peeper froglets, that's what I had to do to get them to relax. Now they come jumping to the feeding area as soon as they hear the bowl tap the tank. It took a bit though.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

artangel86

Amy...No actually its open on sides and fron with the back covered. What exactly would I cover it with and do I leave it all the time or just until they get comfortable?

Don..thank you I will have to remember that. I found a place here that would order them so I went ahead and did that, only could order a minimum of 1000 1wk olds for $25. I think your suggestion will be best for the future!

artangel86

Well I went out of town on an overnight trip because my father in law passed away yesterday morning. I left with instructions for my mother to come to the house and feed the frogs, turn the lights on/off and to mist (not hard to do I dont think). I come home tonight and Norma Jean is shriveled up completely dry and dead Dean is extremely skinny and looked like he was soon to follow her. I immediately put him in some water to rehydrate him and misted the **** out of my tank, the whole top layer was almost completely dry because my mother forgot to come turn the light off and mist or for that fact didnt do anything. I am so upset its not even funny and the poor little things must have just been so miserable and suffering so much

hannahtheawesomest

Quote Originally Posted by artangel86 View Post
    That is very interesting Voltage, I wonder if that what she is doing?

Don...

I will post some pics up for you to see. I have an exo terra medium sized habitat tall not long. I have had the frogs since they were tadpoles. They were brought to me out of a friends swimming pool and I raised them. The oldest got all 4 legs on July 29th and was put into a land habitat on August 2nd, simply because I was told they were supposed to have no tail left but a nub before moved to land. The second one got its legs on August 4th and I moved it to the habitat on the 5th. They both dont really move about a whole lot at all, they stick to pretty much one spot. I do get them out and check them to make sure they are still alive and try to get them to eat but they just wont eat anything for me. I have put in flightless fruitflies that were suggested to me because they are so tiny at this point that all they could eat otherwise (what I was told by petsmart) are pinheads and I cant find anyone around that sells pinheads. The others are too big at this point. The frogs were suggested by john on here to be P. Ferrariums more than likely and they are about the size of a dime right now. My oldest started out a dark green/gray color and has now changed to a pretty light color, sometimes almost white. My youngest is still a pretty dark green color/ gray color. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Name:  friends.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  85.4 KBName:  habitat 1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  58.4 KBName:  habitat 2.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  61.6 KBName:  Dean.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  176.5 KBName:  Dean2.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  153.4 KBName:  Dean3.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  51.2 KBName:  Dean and Norma Jean.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  67.9 KBName:  Norma Jean.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  60.6 KBName:  Norma Jean and Dean.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  77.1 KB
    Try www.ghanns.com

BG

That is a great deal. I could use some for my slings.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Call Josh's Frogs and see if they have any in stock... shows they have 1/8 inch crickets at 7.99 for 500 count.
    Their number is: 1-800-691-8178

Thread Information