Thread: Frog Vision

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Frog Vision

I've been searching for an answer to this question but have had no luck. Does anyone know how far a frog can see? I know they see in color, their eyesight doesn't overlap, they use their eyes to swallow but how far can they see?

My Whites have recently got new neighbors, two Eublepharis Macularus aka Leopard Geckos. They seem to be ENTRANCED by their new friends. They will sit on the side of the tank closest to them for hours and seem to stare at their tank. Now the geckos tank is a about a foot and a half away and set a little lower than the frogs are. So it makes me wonder can they really see the geckos or are they just fascinated with the light and movement? They also have a beta fish that sits about 2 feet away on the other side of their tank and every now and then I catch them staring at her.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

SkeletalFrog

Default Re: Frog Vision

Actually, in many species, they do have visual fields that overlap, and use their binocular vision for catching prey. Obviously is this going to be more the case for something like a tree frog than for a burrowing species like a chubby frog.

As far as the distance they can see, I'm not familiar enough with the literature to know of any studies, but I know from my own work on frog jumping that some species can accurately target objects up to 5 feet away.

Nationality
    [United States]

Pacman Frogs have pretty good vision, but cannot see directly in front of their nose due to the position of the eyes. They can insects from across their tank which in some cases they will get out of their burrow and Chase down their prey. Most adults are kept in 10 to 20 gallon tanks and they can accurately see prey all the way on the end of the tank.

I don't know about all frog species, but Tree frogs need good vision as well a depth perception in order to leap from danger and not possibly fall to their death. It can be assumed that they have good vision.

Tyson

Grif, your right, when ever I feed my pixie, if its right under his nose, he cant see it. He has gotten surprised when he felt a bug trying to burrow under him LOL

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Pacman Frogs have pretty good vision, but cannot see directly in front of their nose due to the position of the eyes. They can insects from across their tank which in some cases they will get out of their burrow and Chase down their prey. Most adults are kept in 10 to 20 gallon tanks and they can accurately see prey all the way on the end of the tank.

I don't know about all frog species, but Tree frogs need good vision as well a depth perception in order to leap from danger and not possibly fall to their death. It can be assumed that they have good vision.

That makes sense. They would have to see good to be able to jump from danger.

Thread Information