Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Update on My Wood Frog Vocalization Experiment :)

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Weekly Update on My Wood Frog Vocalization Experiment :)

Here is an update on my experiment involving Wood frog vocalizations, I apologize that I didn’t update you all sooner, but with the recent death of one my wood frogs involved with this experiment, I had to put it on hold. Here are the results from my first trial, Test A, Frog 6 (aka Lil’ Porker). For those of you not familiar with my experiment, here is a link to the post:http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/10993...xperiment.html Enjoy .

+Final Report for Frog 6, Test A

During the first four days of the experiment, the frog was left to acclimate to the new surroundings. The temperature was maintained between 49-54F, the humidity between 50-75%, and the lighting was left on for about 10 hours each day, (conditions similar to the breeding season). The frog adjusted to the new conditions beautifully and did not display any signs of major stress. The frog continued to eat and digest normally. The frog also buried itself into the moss and was sluggish in movements (i.e. was slow to react when any crickets would pass by); these were the only two major behavioral changes observed.

After the acclimation process, the frog was then exposed to a series of Wood frog vocalizations for three days. These calls were played during 11:00am to 1:00pm and during 10:00pm to 12:00am. These are the times in which Wood frog vocalization is most active during the mating season, in late April and early May here in Fairbanks, AK. During this time the following observations were noted:

+Day 5 (11/25/11): Frog was given 2 crickets, both were consumed; the light was left on for 12hrs. Today I began the vocalization test (Test A). 11:00a-1:00p report: Vocalization CD was played near the frog's tank. On track 2, the frog perked up and its vocal sacs appeared to be swollen, but no sound was heard. Phonotaxis was not observed. 10:00p-12:0)a report: No phonotaxis; frog stayed in one location all day.

+Day 6 (11/26/11): The frog was given 2 crickets at approx 8:00, one in which was observed to be eaten. The light was left on for 10.5 hrs. Report for 11:00a-1:00p: No phonotaxis was observed and the frog did not respond with calls of his own. The frog remained in the same location throughout the whole test. 10:00p-12:00a report: The frog did become alert and poked its head out of the moss, however, no phonotaxis was observed and no calls were made.

+Day 7 (11/27/11): Of the two crickets given, one was observed to be eaten. Light was remained on for 10hrs. Report for 11:00am-1:00pm: The frog remained in the same location as the previous day. No phonotaxis was observed and no vocalizations were heard. The frog did not show signs of alertness either. 10:00p-12:00a report: No vocalizations were recorded and no phonotaxis was observed.

What are my thoughts: What I previously predicted (that the frog would display phonotaxis and respond with calls of his own) did not fall through. It may be that the frog thought it was time to hibernate or that Wood frogs will only vocalize during a precise barometric pressure level. I would like to compare the barometric pressure levels displayed earlier during the mating season with the ones maintained during the experiment. I also hope to establish a pattern of some sort to help adjust my experiment for future trials. However, these thoughts are to be treated as immature until the entire experiment is complete and results can be compared further.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Weekly Update on My Wood Frog Vocalization Experiment :)

Keep us updated!!

Poly

On Day 5, you state "its vocal sacs appeared to be swollen", my toads do this just before they croak, so perhaps your Wood Frog was about to call, but is it possible that you may of startled it?

Great Expariment Autumn!

Definitely keep us updated!

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEyedFroggie View Post
    Keep us updated!!
    Haha, you betcha ;D!

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    On Day 5, you state "its vocal sacs appeared to be swollen", my toads do this just before they croak, so perhaps your Wood Frog was about to call, but is it possible that you may of startled it?

Great Expariment Autumn!

Definitely keep us updated!
    Thank you! Haha yes, that is a definitely a possibility….. I have observed this too with previous Wood frogs that I have had and with Wood frogs in the wild .
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

LazyEyedFroggie

Maybe you could use a video camera instead of actually being there so they feel more secure?

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Maybe you could use a video camera instead of actually being there so they feel more secure?
    Actually, I do use a video camera in addition to a sound senor recorder. I only observe the moring trials (from 11:00am to 12:00pm) and record the experiment via these devices. However, I try to stay away from the set up as much as possible to reduce stress. The only times I am near the experimental set-up is when I need to restart the Wood frog vocalization CD or when I need to check on a few small details.

For the night trials (10:00pm to 12:00am) I soley rely on these devices to record the experiment ;P.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by frogluver View Post
    Actually, I do use a video camera in addition to a sound senor recorder. I only observe the moring trials (from 11:00am to 12:00pm) and record the experiment via these devices. However, I try to stay away from the set up as much as possible to reduce stress. The only times I am near the experimental set-up is when I need to restart the Wood frog vocalization CD or when I need to check on a few small details.

For the night trials (10:00pm to 12:00am) I soley rely on these devices to record the experiment ;P.
    Hmm, well, all you can do now is... do the experiment again!

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Hmm, well, all you can do now is... do the experiment again!
    Haha, totally! Now I just have to first finish Test A with the other 3 frogs.

In about an hour and a half I'm going to run Test A with frog 5 (Lil' Piggy). We'll see how this one goes ;D!
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

LazyEyedFroggie

Awesome! I'm sure some very intriguing results will reveal themselves

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Awesome! I'm sure some very intriguing results will reveal themselves
    Haha, I hope so!
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Guess what !!

The frog that I just finished testing with last week (frog 6....Lil' Porker), croaked this morning 8 times at about 7:49 am!! I didn't even have the Wood frog vocalizations playing and the conditions were normal living conditions, 65-70 F temps about 60% humidity.....nothing that resembled the mating conditions as Test A is meant to mimic.

It had to be the barometric pressure.....it snowed really hard yesturday and there was 25 mph winds. This morning though it was pretty calm outside, but overcast. It was silent and dark in the house when he croaked too. Hmmmmm.......
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

LazyEyedFroggie

Fascinating... He's happy

Poly

Guess what !!

The frog that I just finished testing with last week (frog 6....Lil' Porker), croaked this morning 8 times at about 7:49 am!! I didn't even have the Wood frog vocalizations playing and the conditions were normal living conditions, 65-70 F temps about 60% humidity.....nothing that resembled the mating conditions as Test A is meant to mimic.

It had to be the barometric pressure.....it snowed really hard yesturday and there was 25 mph winds. This morning though it was pretty calm outside, but overcast. It was silent and dark in the house when he croaked too. Hmmmmm.......
    Autumn, maybe even though they are WC amphibians, they have adjusted to terrarium life, considering that you caught them as juveniles, and that they have grown up in captivity, is it possible that they don't recognize their "mating conditions"?

Glad to hear he finally croaked!

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Fascinating... He's happy
    Haha, he croaked again later that day (with some Scottish folk music playing in the background....he was in the mood for singing lol) 6 times too ! He is happy!

Autumn, maybe even though they are WC amphibians, they have adjusted to terrarium life, considering that you caught them as juveniles, and that they have grown up in captivity, is it possible that they don't recognize their "mating conditions"?

Glad to hear he finally croaked!
    So I have total of 4 wood frogs....2 adult males and 2 juveniles. During the Wood frog mating season of this year, I captured the adults. I navigated the pond via canoe and located the adults by their calls (it was sooo fun). So the adults I didn’t raise. And then I captured the juveniles during their fall migration to higher grounds, so I’m raising them now ;D.

What you said makes perfect sense though. I had a juvenile WF four years ago that I raised and he called spontaneously once he matured. It was the funniest thing…..the TV was on, he would croak; the heater came on he would croak; the family would laugh, he would croak! It was like you said, he didn’t seem to know the right “mating conditions” .

Haha yup...me too !
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Oh, and the same frog croaked again this morning at 6:58, hehe!! Maybe he can sense the incredibly warm temperatures we are experiencing from a Chinook that's coming through. We are having 45F temps and some rain in the middle of winter! Last week we had -25F weather. That’s about a difference of 70 degrees. And tonight……we are expecting to have 30 to 55 mph winds and 4+ inches of snow, blizzard conditions. So unusual for the interior of Alaska.

And I have some exciting news to shed about Frog 5 (Lil’ Piggy) who is in the middle of the experiment right now. But I think I’ll be a little evil and make you guys wait until Monday when I write my report/conclusion for Frog 5 hehehehe ;P!!
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Badger

This is so interesting. My frogs call constantly at night, to the point that I wake up a lot. I'll try and get a temp/humidity reading if you would like?

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    This is so interesting. My frogs call constantly at night, to the point that I wake up a lot. I'll try and get a temp/humidity reading if you would like?
    Really, they do! Did you get your Wood frogs when they were juveniles or nearing adulthood? That would be great if you could do that! If possible, I would also love a record of the weather conditions when they vocalize. Thanks Dalton!!
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

+Final Report for Frog 5, Test A

The first four days of this trial in my experiment were dedicated to the acclimation process: Frog 5 (aka Lil’ Piggy) was left to adjust to the new conditions similar to the breeding season (49-54F temperatures and 50-75% humidity). The frog adjusted to the experimental surroundings smoothly and did not seem to display any signs of major stress. However, the frog did not eat consistently as usual. Despite this fact, the frog maintained a good weight. Similar to Frog 6, Frog 5 buried itself into the moss and was sluggish in movements (i.e. slow to react).

*After the acclimation process, the frog was then exposed to a series of Wood frog vocalizations for three days. These calls were played during 11:00am to 1:00pm and during 10:00pm to 12:00am. These are the times in which Wood frog vocalization is most active during the mating season, in late April and early May here in Fairbanks, AK. During this time the following observations were noted:*

•Day 5 12/02/11: Frog remained hidden in moss. Given 2 dusted crickets; 1 seen eaten. 11a-1p report: No phonotaxis was observed; the frog remained hidden throughout the test. No vocalization observed or recorded. 10p-12a report: Before the test began, I located frog in the moss (was found on the left side of tank) and he was disturbed from hiding. At 11:28p, the frog changed location but not in direction of sound source. No vocalization was recorded.

•Day 6 12/03/11: Frog was visible but partially hidden. 11a-1p report: Frog did not display signs of phonotaxis. One call (vocalization) was recorded on video camera and recorder. Call was given in between 12:20p and 1:00p during the first tracks of the CD (2nd play). Temp was 52F and hum was 50%. 10p-12a report: No phonotaxis observed and no vocalizations observed either.

•Day 7 12/04/11: Frog is same location as yesterday. Not much movement observed. 11a-1p report: Frog did not display signs of phonotaxis. No calls were given either. However, frog vomited or did something similar to the gesture in between 11 and 12p. 10p-12a report: No phonotaxis was observed/recorded and no vocalizations were observed either.

What are my thoughts: This frog showed more results than Frog 5; however, the barometric pressure probably had an effect on the results. During the three days in which the frog was exposed to the recordings, it snowed heavily, rained, outside temperatures increased to 30-45F due to a Chinook, and winds were up to 55-60mph (quite a contrast to the calm weather conditions experienced during the test with Frog 6). I would also like to note that—based on the observations thus far—that the frog(s) may think it’s time to hibernate, based on the fact that they are brought into colder conditions then they are used to. This could be an explanation as to why they do not vocalize or display signs of phonotaxis.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Poly

+Final Report for Frog 5, Test A

The first four days of this trial in my experiment were dedicated to the acclimation process: Frog 5 (aka Lil’ Piggy) was left to adjust to the new conditions similar to the breeding season (49-54F temperatures and 50-75% humidity). The frog adjusted to the experimental surroundings smoothly and did not seem to display any signs of major stress. However, the frog did not eat consistently as usual. Despite this fact, the frog maintained a good weight. Similar to Frog 6, Frog 5 buried itself into the moss and was sluggish in movements (i.e. slow to react).

*After the acclimation process, the frog was then exposed to a series of Wood frog vocalizations for three days. These calls were played during 11:00am to 1:00pm and during 10:00pm to 12:00am. These are the times in which Wood frog vocalization is most active during the mating season, in late April and early May here in Fairbanks, AK. During this time the following observations were noted:*

•Day 5 12/02/11: Frog remained hidden in moss. Given 2 dusted crickets; 1 seen eaten. 11a-1p report: No phonotaxis was observed; the frog remained hidden throughout the test. No vocalization observed or recorded. 10p-12a report: Before the test began, I located frog in the moss (was found on the left side of tank) and he was disturbed from hiding. At 11:28p, the frog changed location but not in direction of sound source. No vocalization was recorded.

•Day 6 12/03/11: Frog was visible but partially hidden. 11a-1p report: Frog did not display signs of phonotaxis. One call (vocalization) was recorded on video camera and recorder. Call was given in between 12:20p and 1:00p during the first tracks of the CD (2nd play). Temp was 52F and hum was 50%. 10p-12a report: No phonotaxis observed and no vocalizations observed either.

•Day 7 12/04/11: Frog is same location as yesterday. Not much movement observed. 11a-1p report: Frog did not display signs of phonotaxis. No calls were given either. However, frog vomited or did something similar to the gesture in between 11 and 12p. 10p-12a report: No phonotaxis was observed/recorded and no vocalizations were observed either.

What are my thoughts: This frog showed more results than Frog 5; however, the barometric pressure probably had an effect on the results. During the three days in which the frog was exposed to the recordings, it snowed heavily, rained, outside temperatures increased to 30-45F due to a Chinook, and winds were up to 55-60mph (quite a contrast to the calm weather conditions experienced during the test with Frog 6). I would also like to note that—based on the observations thus far—that the frog(s) may think it’s time to hibernate, based on the fact that they are brought into colder conditions then they are used to. This could be an explanation as to why they do not vocalize or display signs of phonotaxis.
    Sorry for missing your replies Autumn! I definitely think the colder temperatures is the reason you have not observed much vocalization, and barometric pressure must have a large influence. Maybe you should try to bring the temperatures up a bit?

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Sorry for missing your replies Autumn! I definitely think the colder temperatures is the reason you have not observed much vocalization, and barometric pressure must have a large influence. Maybe you should try to bring the temperatures up a bit?
    Haha, np ! Yes, I have to agree.....and that's were Test B (testing the frogs for vocalizations/phonotaxis in normal living conditions) comes in lol !
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information