Thread: New VA Pacman owner, just saying hi! Pictures!

Mariah94

Default New VA Pacman owner, just saying hi! Pictures!

Hello everybody!

I've been trying to join this site via mobile for a few weeks now with no luck (wouldn't let me choose my country so I couldn't join) but I've finally gotten on a computer and would like to proudly introduce myself, Jabba, and my other loved ones!

First off, I just picked up Jabba today (the pet store had nicknamed him this and well, SW fanatic here and it fits ) and he's fantastic! I decided to get a Pacman frog because I have a dubia colony that I currently cannot use due to my bearded dragon being on a temporary soft-body died, so Jabba here is going to help keep the colony in check . He's the coolest little guy, and a neat addition to my school desk. I fit a 20L perfectly on one side of my desk for him. Currently the tank is split up the middle since he's so small and my brother would like to have his own pacman (although he's already claiming Jabba as his...uh, no!) so we may add a perm. divider?

I bought my decor and stuff based off of the caresheets from this forum, pictures below. Any suggestions would be great! Also, how should I place the heat pad on the side of glass...directly against it with duct tape? I read not to put it on the bottom.

The light fixture above is just a reg old light from Walmart, not UVB. Is this okay? I plan on having it on during the day, off at night, or whenever I'm not home? I don't remember reading anything on them liking/disliking regular light?

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  55.8 KBName:  IMG_7153.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9467.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  128.6 KBName:  IMG_9628.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  135.8 KBName:  IMG_3694.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  138.0 KB
    This is all I could afford at the moment, but soon I plan on spoiling him rotten however until then I want to make sure that this set up is good for him health wise...so any suggestions on what I need to get that I don't have it definitely welcome!

And now onto my other babies...first I have baby Malachi, my bearded dragon I've only had her for three or so weeks. And we have been through hell and back together. She had a two night vet stay in "critical beardie care" due to improper conditions at the pet store and is now home and recovering and *loving* her medications. Did I mention she's say...five weeks old? She's such a charmer!

Name:  8FDD4FB5-3126-4793-9E09-9E2090FE751F-3164-000002B842DF5F16.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  91.5 KBName:  D06A2178-5BA1-44F7-BD86-918DF40DE063-404-000000CB384214A4.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  79.9 KBName:  IMG_8110.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  127.9 KB

I also am slave to seven rescued hermit crabs! I haven't sat down and named them yet, but I plan to soon. Right now 3 are molting so I haven't really met them all! These guys are great.
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  94.1 KBName:  6.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  81.5 KBName:  7.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  61.8 KBName:  85527e89.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  89.2 KBName:  2f968870.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  106.3 KB

And then of course my two doggies, Ben and Cricket!
    Name:  IMG_0031.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  87.6 KB

Sorry if that's too many photos...I just love pictures! I can't wait to learn all I can about frogs...I get the feeling I'll have more than Jabba before I know it!

Pluke

Default Re: New VA Pacman owner, just saying hi! Pictures!

Nice pets you have their and your little albino is great, I have one just like it. As far as the light goes, with albinos they have real sensitive eyes and I've heard can actually go blind from bright lights. You should get a red heat lamp and a night lamp as well for heating. You could buy a fixture with a dimmer and get a 100w bulb and dim it to fit the amount of heat you need. I imagine a plain light bulb is a little stressful on the eyes and they don't really need UVB. As far as the side of the tank heater goes, it has a big sticky area on it and sticks to the side of the tank perfectly. Just make sure you put it on the opposite side of the tank that the water bowl is on.

If you decide to get a divider for the tank to get another frog, make sure that there is no possible way for them to breach it and make sure they can't see each other. You don't need any stress or frogs choking on each other. Other than that everything in your tank looks OK to me, just make sure when you feed him that he can't ingest anything in that tank. There has been casualties where they'll accidentally eat a plastic plant/leaf, moss, stuff like that and they end up dying, you don't want that to happen, hehe.

Hope this helps you and also, Welcome to frog forums!

Mariah94

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post
    Nice pets you have their and your little albino is great, I have one just like it. As far as the light goes, with albinos they have real sensitive eyes and I've heard can actually go blind from bright lights. You should get a red heat lamp and a night lamp as well for heating. You could buy a fixture with a dimmer and get a 100w bulb and dim it to fit the amount of heat you need. I imagine a plain light bulb is a little stressful on the eyes and they don't really need UVB. As far as the side of the tank heater goes, it has a big sticky area on it and sticks to the side of the tank perfectly. Just make sure you put it on the opposite side of the tank that the water bowl is on.

If you decide to get a divider for the tank to get another frog, make sure that there is no possible way for them to breach it and make sure they can't see each other. You don't need any stress or frogs choking on each other. Other than that everything in your tank looks OK to me, just make sure when you feed him that he can't ingest anything in that tank. There has been casualties where they'll accidentally eat a plastic plant/leaf, moss, stuff like that and they end up dying, you don't want that to happen, hehe.

Thanks for the quick reply! Okay let's see...so because he's albino this regular house bulb is too much for him? It's not UVB, just a regular bulb. is there anything else I can use for light? My room light doesn't reach the cage well so I wouldn't ever get to see the little guy. Also the heat pad I have is no longer sticky, that's why I'm wondering if duct tape could do the trick. After researching some more it looks like I'm gonna use this one tank for this guy cause apparently he will outgrow this split way and although they don't move about much, I would hate for him to be cramped all the time.

I've turned the light off because I absolutely do not want to damage his eyes. Now to find another light that can work. I do have plenty of red heat bulbs laying around that I got from a guy a while back, and I also have fixtures for it...but I was hoping to keep the heat limited to a UTH on the side so the humidity stays okay.

Thanks!

Pluke

Well, if it's warm enough in the room I'm sure the heater you stick to the side of the tank will work and yeah, I've heard of people using tape to restick it. You should get a glass lid for the tank too if you don't have one. It'll help hold heat. If you don't have one you could use plastic/saran wrap in the mean time. I had a piece of glass cut for my 20L and I THINK I had it cut at 27"x11 1/2". That left a good gap for air ventilation. As far as another light you could use, I'm not really sure. I don't use any light for mine right now, they just get light from the window (not direct sunlight). I kinda think those LED Light strip things may be alright, I don't know though. They just don't seem all that bright. You be the judge, if it bothers your eyes to look at the light imagine how it will for the frog.

I'd leave the tank split for him right now, big spaces will scare the little guy and a 10g might actually be fine for a male depending on his size, that's what mine is in right now. I don't think they'll find it too cramped, they rarely move to begin with. I've had my green for 2 months and he never leaves his corner, only when I give him his weekly soak.. then he goes right back, burrows completely under with only his eyes poking out, sometimes not even that. I only see him when he eats and soaks. That doesn't mean I don't want to dig him up and admire him more.

Mariah94

Okay I wil duct tape the heater tomorrow. This heater is used for my Dubia colony but I really don't need them breeding right now and Jabba needs it more

I am actually back on the idea of splitting the tank. I just fear that when they grow full size it won't be enough. As of now though his tank is split with cardboard since he's te only frog. When you split a 20L the two pieces are a tad smaller than a 10 gallon length wise so I'm just not sure...hmmm.

As far as lighting, I have read so many opinions on it on here that my head is just about ready to explode. So for now the light will only come on so I can feed him. The problem is he is on a desk in the corner of the room where my overhead light doesn't reach well. Probably good for him but sucks for me.

For humidity I have a few tricks I use for the hermit crabs since I always put hard top for the vivs on the last of my list to do so it never gets done. I use 50% plastic wrap covered with small holes, 25% damp towel and 25% fresh air with the damp towel only staying on a few days a week to allow some extra air flow. It typically works well. Doesn't look as good as a terrarium hood though haha.

Pluke

lol, I know what you mean, I have some paper towels on one of my aquarium lids with some plastic too. It doesn't look great but it does the trick.

And yeah, you'll find that people will have their own opinions on what lights to use.. but it's really just due to the frog being an albino in this case. Someone told me this when I got my albino last month, I'm just relaying the message. They're sensitive to bright lights.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Pluke View Post

Pluke 100 watts is WAY to powerful. No bulb should exceed 50 watts unless it is high above the enclosure.

Pluke

Ahh, yah that's why I mentioned the dimmer too. I'm going to have to use a watt higher than 50 because it's gonna get cold in my house, but I surely wouldn't put it close enough to burn my frogs. I'd just have a dimmer and adjust it til I get the perfect temperature for their enclosure. I should have just said 50 though, you're right.

Thread Information