Thread: New Pacman Owner

cheeseandwhiskers

Default New Pacman Owner

Hello, I just bought an Albino Pacman Frog yesterday and was expecting a big fellow and ended up getting one the size of a loonie. We decided to name him Jabba the Frog. The little guy seems to flip over a lot and get stuck this way and I wonder if it is because of the substrate, he also barely moves. I have plantation soil (about 1 inch) and frog moss on top. I have one plant as a hide and a saucer for water. I am using a UVB light for a 12 hour cycle and I have a very weak UTH. Should I remove the moss to make it easier for Jabba to move around?
    Any other suggestions about anything I am doing would be great.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pacman Owner

I am not an expert but here is what i learned from reading on here- First of all what are your temps and humidity? Flipping onto their back is a sign that they are stressed. Also frogs do not need UVB lighting and if it is too bright can stress them out. The soil he is on is good so no need for change there. The UTH should be on the side of the tank and not under since they burrow to cool off. Pacman frogs are not very active so they will stay in one spot for long periods of time. I think the best thing for him would be to limit contact with him and you can cover 3 sides of the tank with black construction paper to reduce stress. I would also change the UVB light to a regular light since they only need the light for a day - night cycle. Also moss is dangerous if you feed him inside the enclosure because if he tries to catch his prey on it he could miss and get some in his mouth and it can cause impaction.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseandwhiskers View Post
    Hello, I just bought an Albino Pacman Frog yesterday and was expecting a big fellow and ended up getting one the size of a loonie. We decided to name him Jabba the Frog. The little guy seems to flip over a lot and get stuck this way and I wonder if it is because of the substrate, he also barely moves. I have plantation soil (about 1 inch) and frog moss on top. I have one plant as a hide and a saucer for water. I am using a UVB light for a 12 hour cycle and I have a very weak UTH. Should I remove the moss to make it easier for Jabba to move around?
    Any other suggestions about anything I am doing would be great.
    What Sherry says is true. You need to reduce as much stress as possible. If you are going to use a light you need a lamp with a dimmer switch so you can accurately control the amount of heat and light produced from the bulb. Flukers makes a lamp with a dimmer switch. Get rid of the UVB bulb because they are fluorescent bulbs and are way too bright for your Pacman. Since he/she is an albino you will damage its eyes badly with that bulb. You need to use a infrared bulb that is no less than 25 watts and no more than 50 watts. This way your frog will not be burned or blinded by the bulb. You need to do this now. Day temps have to be between 24 and 26 degrees C. And night temps 21 to 25 degrees C. Humidity levels need to be between 70 and 80%. Get rid of the moss. You can't use fluorescent bulbs with a lamp with a dimmer switch so don't try and you don't want to use fluorescents with your frog anyway because of how bright they are and especially not with an Albino Pacman. You need to do this now. Babies can get ill and die quickly get him/her warm and stress free ASAP! Also as Sherry said place the UTH on the side of the tank opposite the water dish so he/she has a temp gradient. Keep us posted and welcome to the forum.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I learned most of that from you Grif!

Thread Information