Thread: American Toads vomiting up dead skin?

Default American Toads vomiting up dead skin?

Hey guys, sorry for posting so much but this one is kinda urgent. I think I have two toads that are vomitting up what looks to be like dead skin. I was helping them get it out of their mouth but I realize that I could be hurting them so I will stop doing that, but the only reason I was doing that was because they would eat the dead skin or whatever it is again. It is also covered in dirt. I didnt take a picture of it and I shoudl have, but can't do anything about that until it happens again. Does anyone know what they are doing or what it is? These are the first toads I have ever had (I do have frogs but they never have done this before. What should I do? Thanks guys! If you need anymore info just ask!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: American Toads vomiting up dead skin?

Quote Originally Posted by Misakimon View Post
    Hey guys, sorry for posting so much but this one is kinda urgent. I think I have two toads that are vomitting up what looks to be like dead skin. I was helping them get it out of their mouth but I realize that I could be hurting them so I will stop doing that, but the only reason I was doing that was because they would eat the dead skin or whatever it is again. It is also covered in dirt. I didnt take a picture of it and I shoudl have, but can't do anything about that until it happens again. Does anyone know what they are doing or what it is? These are the first toads I have ever had (I do have frogs but they never have done this before. What should I do? Thanks guys! If you need anymore info just ask!
    I could be wrong but it sounds like they are just shedding their old skin. When they do this they eat their old skin and repeatedly open their mouths and which I guess kinda does look like vomiting. If they are shedding do not try and pull on the skin as it may hurt them

4. This member thanks Trout hunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trout hunter View Post
    I could be wrong but it sounds like they are just shedding their old skin. When they do this they eat their old skin and repeatedly open their mouths and which I guess kinda does look like vomiting. If they are shedding do not try and pull on the skin as it may hurt them
    Ok thank you so much, It may be the skin shedding. I won't help them anymore. Is there anything I can do to help them through this process? Or are they ok. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Misakimon View Post
    Ok thank you so much, It may be the skin shedding. I won't help them anymore. Is there anything I can do to help them through this process? Or are they ok. Thank you!
    Yeah no problem any more questions feel free to ask, If you just give them the proper care ie diet, calcium supplements , proper clean habitat then they will take care of the rest ie shedding skin. Young toads shed frequently due to the fact that they are growing.

7. This member thanks Trout hunter for this post:

Thread Information