Thread: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

NialR35

Default Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

Hello,

I read in a different threat that it's possible for small babies to "tox-out" from sitting too long overnight in the water IF the water has poop. Have you guys heard about this? Is it safe to leave a up-to-the-chin water bowl for my new pyxie or should I remove it until he/she is 2 inches+? Any feedback about this would be wonderful, because it did get me paranoid!

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

ive never heard of the "tox-out" theory before but as soon as you see poop its nesecary to clean it up as soon as possible.With your pixie froglet i wouldnt worry about the water level but you can put stones in the water or a small sheet of moss so he can have a choice of how deep he wants to go in the water bowl
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

maxQ

Default Are water bowls a threat for really young babies?

Ive also have been told that water level is critical. Ive always went with a rule of thumb that never have the dish deeper than the length of the babies body.

Using Tapatalk

Eel Noob

Most frogs will leave their dirty water bowls as soon as they're done doing their business in it. Latex gloves are very handy because there has been a few time where I must of caught my frogs just finishing up or what but had to move the frogs out myself to clean their bowls.

NialR35

Well one of the things that was mentioned was that a baby frog has the possibility of absorbing through its skin the contaminated water if they sit in it for too long; so its not recommended to have a water bowl when a frog is less than 2" inches long. The member recommended to just do baths every other day.

Any other feedback?

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes they can tox out from sitting is soiled water. The amount of water determines how quickly they may Tox Out due to the toxins being slightly diluted in larger water sources, but also if the dish is too deep and the frog cannot get out it will drown.

NialR35

So do you normally keep your babies without water bowls?

Eel Noob

Quote Originally Posted by NialR35 View Post
    So do you normally keep your babies without water bowls?
    Every one of my frogs starts out with a appropriate size bowl, I like for my frogs to be able hydrate and relieve themselves whenever they want. Frogs can absorb toxins even through from substrate they're kept in so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If really worried than keep frogs like how they do it over seas, keep them on sponge/foam. Animals are very good at hiding their illness due to predators, predators will pick off the weakest and oldest first. That's why it's so hard to tell when a animal first gets sick until it's too late.

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Yes they can tox out from sitting is soiled water. The amount of water determines how quickly they may Tox Out due to the toxins being slightly diluted in larger water sources, but also if the dish is too deep and the frog cannot get out it will drown.
    So Colleen/Jerrod,

Do you agree with what Justin posted in that other post about the loss of that cornuta? Do you keep your babies less than 2 inches without a water bowl? Justin did make a point but I'm wondering how dangerous it really can be. It's true that if the baby frog goes in the water overnight while you are sleep and stays in the water with feces, it could be dead by the morning. I thought frogs would not stay in the dirty water like that for so long.

Nationality
    [Canada]

i wouldn't get too paranoid about that, they do need clean water at all the time, so just make sure you clean it as soon as he poops or/and once a day if he didn't poop and water level is no higher then his chin. of course you can't sit and watch him all day long if he soil his water or not, check in am, check after you home, change it and you'll be all good. i personally like ceramic bowls that you put plant pots in, cheap and just right depth and size for most
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

NialR35

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    i wouldn't get too paranoid about that, they do need clean water at all the time, so just make sure you clean it as soon as he poops or/and once a day if he didn't poop and water level is no higher then his chin. of course you can't sit and watch him all day long if he soil his water or not, check in am, check after you home, change it and you'll be all good. i personally like ceramic bowls that you put plant pots in, cheap and just right depth and size for most

Thanks girl !

Well what I do is change the water daily every night after feeding, since they spend most of their time awake at night at least it will have clean water if it goes inside to rest. But that post really made me paranoid lol...

Nationality
    [Canada]

Do you agree with what Justin posted in that other post about the loss of that cornuta? Do you keep your babies less than 2 inches without a water bowl? Justin did make a point but I'm wondering how dangerous it really can be. It's true that if the baby frog goes in the water overnight while you are sleep and stays in the water with feces, it could be dead by the morning. I thought frogs would not stay in the dirty water like that for so long.
    no, absolutely not! it is not possible for a frog to die just because it was staying in his soiled water for a few hours ( overnight), not unless there is underlying heath condition. will go check on that post, but it is not even theoretically possible as well as to prove that.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks girl !

Well what I do is change the water daily every night after feeding, since they spend most of their time awake at night at least it will have clean water if it goes inside to rest. But that post really made me paranoid lol...

you're welcome, sorry I'm not around lately, I'm in a middle of nowhere with close to none internet connection, cells are down too lol

NialR35

no, absolutely not! it is not possible for a frog to die just because it was staying in his soiled water for a few hours ( overnight), not unless there is underlying heath condition. will go check on that post, but it is not even theoretically possible as well as to prove that.
    Well he did not say that was the reason but mentioned it could be ONE of the reasons why it died; because it was a random death from apparently a healthy frog( was eating well and bio breaks every week). Nevertheless, he did mention that it could be a form of toxicity. It's in the pacman boards...titled "Suriname Horned Frog died"

NialR35

you're welcome, sorry I'm not around lately, I'm in a middle of nowhere with close to none internet connection, cells are down too lol
    Yea I was starting to wonder where you were!

Nationality
    [Canada]

there is never a random death from a healthy frog. there is always a reason, but it is not always an easy task to point what that is, so unless proven it is not possible to say yes or no, but you can speculate based on theoretical facts, and based on these, nothing can be toxic to frog in his poop to the point it will die from sitting in it for a few hours, however if he is constantly sitting in such water, perhaps for days at a time than is different.
    the fact is - don't stress out over this, keep your baby as clean as you can possibly do it and everything is gonna be all right.

Nationality
    [United States]

So Colleen/Jerrod,

I never not provide a water source. Yes it is very possible that the very fragile baby cornuta could easily tox out from sitting in soiled water for extended periods, but it is the keeper's duty to prevent such occurences by removing the frog from the water and changing it after a few hours or sooner. Justin knows his stuff. Most are smart enough to leave the water once it becomes soiled, but each individual frog is different. Cornuta are natoriously fragile and are prone to SADS or Sudden Amphibian Death Syndrome. There are not warning signs of this until the frog has passed for what appears for no reason so caution should always be taken.

Now the frogs you have are not as fragile as a Cornuta so don't freak out.

NialR35

Awesome, thanks for the peace of mind guys.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I never not provide a water source. Yes it is very possible that the very fragile baby cornuta could easily tox out from sitting in soiled water for extended periods, but it is the keeper's duty to prevent such occurences by removing the frog from the water and changing it after a few hours or sooner. Justin knows his stuff. Most are smart enough to leave the water once it becomes soiled, but each individual frog is different. Cornuta are natoriously fragile and are prone to SADS or Sudden Amphibian Death Syndrome. There are not warning signs of this until the frog has passed for what appears for no reason so caution should always be taken.

Now the frogs you have are not as fragile as a Cornuta so don't freak out.
    exactly!

Thread Information