Thread: Update on my albino

BigBlue83

Default Update on my albino

Hey ladys and gents. Its been a couple weeks since ive posted on my pacman frog. she seems to be doing well. I feed her every other day, sometimes ill go two days but thats max. Shes a pain in the neck to feed but just recently ive had some good luck with her. She wont eat from my habd but if i drop it in front of her face shell grab it from mid air and swallow it up. or if i continue to place the crickets in front of her she will eat them. at her last feeding Friday night. (got to feed her tonight) she actually ate around 6 crickets. thats pretty good. normally shell eat one or two then something (usually my daughter) will scare her off. so ive been trying to feed her when im home alone. it takes about 15 to twenty min, but i dont mind spending time with her. the other day while feeding her i noticed little bugs in her soil. I thinks its because she is using the bathroom in the ground. Ive had her for over a month and only found 1 turd in the water dish. so im assuming she poops under ground. Thats where she spends alot of her time. Shes actually been coming out on her own lately. when i first goit her if anyone remembers id un bury her head then 1/2 hr later unbury her body then feed. after feeding or as i sadi sometimes during she will go back to 90 to 100% hiding under the substrate. lately the past week or so ill go to work in the morning and shell be buried when i come home in the afternoon her head will be out. (part of this i think is because feeding time is after i get outa work.)
    i never ever ever see her in her water dish. sometimes it will be dry or almost dry due to the infrared light ( i have a pad but it doesnt do the job of proper heating by itslef) i dont have a dimmer switch however i do have a regulater. i dial in the desired temp and the light will go on and off to accomadate her proper temp. Ive started to spray the tank and add water to her dish twice a day. once before work and once when i get home. its been pretty good. now the water dish doesnt dry out. ive also covered half the top with plastic and tape.
    Being that i seen those little bugs i decided it be best to clean her tank. so i did that today. i have pics im posting...
    i normally use eco earth but the closest pet shop didnt have it, the had jungle bed. im not too fond of that stuff. alot of small to large size chuncks of wood and strands of grass. i was afraid shell swallow it so i thoroughly cleaned the stuff i put in. i even found a piece of paper in the substrate bag... never use that **** again.... any ways here are the pics...

oh yea kinda funny story, when she was in the carrier when cleaning my wife kissed the side of the carrier and she jumped to the other side to get away. when i did it she just sat there. my wife says she deffinately female lol

oh and i know she not impacted because when she was in the carrier i tryed to spray her clean to get her ready for the pics and she got scared and tryed to move out of the way when i finally hit her with the pray she **** lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Update on my albino

Good to hear she is doing well now. She did look pretty grumpy about being in the carrier. Becareful spraying them directly. You can harm them with the pressure from the bottle and if you are using distilled water to mist with it will steal minerals/salts/vitamins/ and electrolytes from her if you get too much on her. that's why you can't use distilled water for a main water source. Sometimes when they get startled or stressed they will not only pee they will poop too. She probably was startled by actually getting sprayed. Lol I guess she told you what she thought about that.

That's funny that she ran from your wife. Also since your the one who feeds her and takes care of her she will be more used to you and (like) you more. She looks great keep it up. Keep her moist and fed well as well as warm.

Nationality
    [United States]

Looking at your enclosure I see your gauges at the top. they should be about an inch above the substrate in the center of the back wall so you can get a more accurate reading of humidity levels and temps down just above substrate level where the frog is. You won't get an accurate reading of how condition are on the ground where the frog lives if the gauges are up in the air. I like your setup it looks very comfy for her.

BigBlue83

thanks for the complement on the set up. the plants are fake as i know pacmans can be brutal with trampling. that gauge is the only gauge thats on the top. its the one for humidity, i put it there before i realized the lower portion of the tank was the place to put them. it has a sticky back so the only way its coming off is if it never gets stuck to anything again. its there pretty securely, so i just leave it. however her infrared temp setter has a gauge that i suction to the bottom portion as well as the thermometer. as far as spraying her, i was only softly misting her, and i would NEVER use distilled. i only use polland spring and once in a blue as a back up, i use tap water that has been treated for chlorine with a solution AND by sitting for 48 hrs or more
    shes must be a female because shes so much attitude lol
    shes pretty tolerant of me, once in a blue if my hand is in the tank adjusting something or catching crickets to replace in front of her shell start the process of burying herself so ill just leave it at that cover her and give her her space than shell stop burying and relax. my only real thing is trying to get her to stop using the bathroom under ground so i can clean it. but as long as i keep reg. maintenance on her tank i think itll be fine. i think i may put her on the scale so i can keep track of her weight to make sure shes doing alright and groing strong. My wife seems to think shes plumped up a bit in the month shes been home.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue83 View Post
    thanks for the complement on the set up. the plants are fake as i know pacmans can be brutal with trampling. that gauge is the only gauge thats on the top. its the one for humidity, i put it there before i realized the lower portion of the tank was the place to put them. it has a sticky back so the only way its coming off is if it never gets stuck to anything again. its there pretty securely, so i just leave it. however her infrared temp setter has a gauge that i suction to the bottom portion as well as the thermometer. as far as spraying her, i was only softly misting her, and i would NEVER use distilled. i only use polland spring and once in a blue as a back up, i use tap water that has been treated for chlorine with a solution AND by sitting for 48 hrs or more
    shes must be a female because shes so much attitude lol
    shes pretty tolerant of me, once in a blue if my hand is in the tank adjusting something or catching crickets to replace in front of her shell start the process of burying herself so ill just leave it at that cover her and give her her space than shell stop burying and relax. my only real thing is trying to get her to stop using the bathroom under ground so i can clean it. but as long as i keep reg. maintenance on her tank i think itll be fine. i think i may put her on the scale so i can keep track of her weight to make sure shes doing alright and groing strong. My wife seems to think shes plumped up a bit in the month shes been home.
    Yeah you won't be able to restick that gauge if you take it off. Usually they will change holes if they poop in them. You can always check for poop when she unburies. You have to remove waste daily or weekly depending on how often your frog goes. She doesn't look of a bad weight. Could maybe usle a little more plumping but she looks good. Mine like to be tucked in, in the morning when its time for them to sleep.

Nationality
    [United States]

Your frog is looking good! I always love reading updates and seeing our babies grow .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

What is your frogs name?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

BigBlue83

I THINK IM GOING TO NAME HER DOROTHY AFTER DOROTHY PARKER MY FAV. WRITER WHO WAS MOST KNOWN FOR HER WHITTY RESPONSES (BESIDES HER WRITING)... sorry wasnt yellin my cap locks were on lol

BigBlue83

SHE DID IT!!!!! (im yelling this time lol) she ate the first pinky mouse i gave her!!! im soo excited. today is a good day for her and I!!!. i went to petco to get some crickets and decided it was time to give her something new, to balance her diet. so i bought a three pack of pinky mice maybe about the size of a quarter or half dollar length wise. well i new she wouldnt eat anything dead and they had no live ones so i also decided to pick up some tongs. they worked! im so excited. she took the first cricket within the first 4 seconds so i fed her another one. took her a second or two longer but she ate it. after the third cricket she stopped giving a ****, so i stopped putting it in her face (not directly dont worry just a statement) and she went after one on the ground then left two more. so all together she ate around 4 or five crickets. then came the pinky mouse. i put it in cold water to thaw for fifteen minutes (while i was feeding crickets i did this) then put it in warm water for another five minutes. grabbed it by the stubby tail with the tongs and dragged it by the tail around Dorothy. she was not interested at first keeped at it though, moving it all around it front of her. then out of no where bang! she took it. Im really excited. i tryed to give her one of the crickets that had gotten away from her a few moments before but she looked at it like what is that? give me some more of those pink things lol. i have another pinky defrosting so im going to attempt to give her that one then call it a meal and leave her be. just wanted to share my wonderful news.

Nationality
    [United States]

SHE DID IT!!!!! (im yelling this time lol) she ate the first pinky mouse i gave her!!! im soo excited. today is a good day for her and I!!!. i went to petco to get some crickets and decided it was time to give her something new, to balance her diet. so i bought a three pack of pinky mice maybe about the size of a quarter or half dollar length wise. well i new she wouldnt eat anything dead and they had no live ones so i also decided to pick up some tongs. they worked! im so excited. she took the first cricket within the first 4 seconds so i fed her another one. took her a second or two longer but she ate it. after the third cricket she stopped giving a ****, so i stopped putting it in her face (not directly dont worry just a statement) and she went after one on the ground then left two more. so all together she ate around 4 or five crickets. then came the pinky mouse. i put it in cold water to thaw for fifteen minutes (while i was feeding crickets i did this) then put it in warm water for another five minutes. grabbed it by the stubby tail with the tongs and dragged it by the tail around Dorothy. she was not interested at first keeped at it though, moving it all around it front of her. then out of no where bang! she took it. Im really excited. i tryed to give her one of the crickets that had gotten away from her a few moments before but she looked at it like what is that? give me some more of those pink things lol. i have another pinky defrosting so im going to attempt to give her that one then call it a meal and leave her be. just wanted to share my wonderful news.
    Don't give her a second pinky. She will become constipated due to amphibians having trouble digesting mammalian tissue. Don't feed her anymore tonight. Wait a day then offer her an earth worm to act as a stool softener.

BigBlue83

i didnt give her the other pinky. my wife and kids came home, as soon as she seen my daughter she went to 85% being covered. lol she really doesnt like my daughter lol. so i flushed the pinky mice because i wasnt going to refreeze it. i had no intentions on giving her anymore crickets. i cant get earth worms around here. petco doesnt have them and ts not fishing season so finding worms is like impossible. Ive been trying to find some for a couple weeks. thanks for info on the 2nd pinky, i know they are supposed to only have one like every two weeks like twice a month. i just figured that it was so small it would be ok. it was literally the size of a large cricket.

Nationality
    [United States]

i didnt give her the other pinky. my wife and kids came home, as soon as she seen my daughter she went to 85% being covered. lol she really doesnt like my daughter lol. so i flushed the pinky mice because i wasnt going to refreeze it. i had no intentions on giving her anymore crickets. i cant get earth worms around here. petco doesnt have them and ts not fishing season so finding worms is like impossible. Ive been trying to find some for a couple weeks. thanks for info on the 2nd pinky, i know they are supposed to only have one like every two weeks like twice a month. i just figured that it was so small it would be ok. it was literally the size of a large cricket.
    Well see the size isn't always the issue. You fed her large crickets yes? They can't digest the crickets heavily armored heads and with that combined with 2 pinky mice is a recipe for constipation although not full on impaction, but she may have required help to pass the mouse and cricket combo.
    I just recently helped a member with their frog who accidently was fed too many pinky mice in one sitting. You should only offer the pinky mice as a treat preferably once a month due to how much fat they contain. They are nutritious and are a complete meal all wrapped into once tiny bite sized morsel, but can sometimes be difficult to pass.

You may be able to find night crawlers at Wal Mart if you have one near you. Make sure they contain no dyes or chemicals. They should say on the container.

BigBlue83

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Well see the size isn't always the issue. You fed her large crickets yes? They can't digest the crickets heavily armored heads and with that combined with 2 pinky mice is a recipe for constipation although not full on impaction, but she may have required help to pass the mouse and cricket combo.
    I just recently helped a member with their frog who accidently was fed too many pinky mice in one sitting. You should only offer the pinky mice as a treat preferably once a month due to how much fat they contain. They are nutritious and are a complete meal all wrapped into once tiny bite sized morsel, but can sometimes be difficult to pass.

You may be able to find night crawlers at Wal Mart if you have one near you. Make sure they contain no dyes or chemicals. They should say on the container.

im not ashamed to say and quite proud to say you learn something everyday. I wasnt aware of the large crickets the wings and head armor would be an issue, or could cause an issue for that matter. to answer your question about feeding her large crickets im going to say yes and no. I have three firebellys that eat crickets i buy small and large from petco. so i have a variety of different sizes at one time. so she doesnt just get large because she will also get medium and ones that are kinda medium but on the small side. i have thought about walmart too. i know during fishing season they sell night crawlers never noticed if they do all year round. I havent been to walmart in a while, so i will make it a point to go by between now and wednesday so i can get her or try to get her some worms. Thanks for the info on the crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

im not ashamed to say and quite proud to say you learn something everyday. I wasnt aware of the large crickets the wings and head armor would be an issue, or could cause an issue for that matter. to answer your question about feeding her large crickets im going to say yes and no. I have three firebellys that eat crickets i buy small and large from petco. so i have a variety of different sizes at one time. so she doesnt just get large because she will also get medium and ones that are kinda medium but on the small side. i have thought about walmart too. i know during fishing season they sell night crawlers never noticed if they do all year round. I havent been to walmart in a while, so i will make it a point to go by between now and wednesday so i can get her or try to get her some worms. Thanks for the info on the crickets.
    You're welcome

If you ever offer her meal worms or super worms do it very sparingly as well. The chitin that their exoskeleton is made from also cannot be digested by the frog and if fed too many they can cause impaction. One or maybe 2 every 2 weeks would be fine just t add variety. You'll probably want to crush the heads of the super worms because they have strong mandables and can deliver a powerful bite to your frog and you.

BigBlue83

ive never offered her meal worms. the lady at petco tryed to tell me they are good but i wasnt listening to her. I have firebellys and i know that meal worms are not good for them because of their "shell" so i figured why would it be any different for a pacman... so i dont even bother. theres so many other things that are good why try something questionable you know....

Nationality
    [United States]

ive never offered her meal worms. the lady at petco tryed to tell me they are good but i wasnt listening to her. I have firebellys and i know that meal worms are not good for them because of their "shell" so i figured why would it be any different for a pacman... so i dont even bother. theres so many other things that are good why try something questionable you know....
    Exactly! Meal worms are safer than Super worms due to their size. Not as much chance for impaction for a Pacman with small mealies. They would be fine if offered 2 or 3 every so often. Not as much chitin to worry about with mealies for a large frog. I offer them occationally with no issues, but not super worms. They're a little too bitey and since they are much larger they have a lot and I mean alot more undigestable chitin. I stay away from them. I may try them once for my adult female Grif, but not Loki. I always say better safe than sorry.

BigBlue83

so i tryed to feed dorothy aka dotty worms today. after about ten minutes of trying to feed the worm with tongs and by letting it sit in front of her she didnt even make an attempt to eat it. so i gave up and gave her a couple of medium size crickets.

Nationality
    [United States]

so i tryed to feed dorothy aka dotty worms today. after about ten minutes of trying to feed the worm with tongs and by letting it sit in front of her she didnt even make an attempt to eat it. so i gave up and gave her a couple of medium size crickets.
    These frogs know what they like and are picky sometimes about trying new foods. She may take them eventually, but it will take time. Hornworms are a ggod treat for your Pac. If you ever want to try them out. You'll have to order them though. They grow so rapidly that I don't think any pet store will carry them. Very nutritious food though and filling. They get huge. Can reach 4 inches in length within a week to week and a half. They're really thick too. Also known as Goliath worms.

Thread Information