Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacman looking very round.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Exclamation Pacman looking very round.

New frog owner here, we've not had our pacman very long but it has grown a lot since we first got it.
    Recently we had someone look after it and they fed it some morios which we were told is fine. Since coming back and checking on it it looks like it's full of air or water, it's basically really round looking. I sprayed it (with treated water) and it did pass some water at the time but has stayed the same size. Not sure what to do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Pacman looking very round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferretdragon View Post
    New frog owner here, we've not had our pacman very long but it has grown a lot since we first got it.
    Recently we had someone look after it and they fed it some morios which we were told is fine. Since coming back and checking on it it looks like it's full of air or water, it's basically really round looking. I sprayed it (with treated water) and it did pass some water at the time but has stayed the same size. Not sure what to do.
    No idea v what morios are but try soaking him in warm treated water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nationality
    [United States]

Wait maybe not!
    I may have given you bad info if this sounds like your situation....
    Water Edema Syndrome
    The frog will start to swell up because of water retention. In very extreme cases, the frog may feel like a squishy water bag. A damaged lymph heart and kidney disease are common causes of water edema, and to date, there is no information as to prevention for the disorder. You can limit the amount of water that is available, or a vet can release retained water via small incisions at swell sites; but, this can be tedious, and you'll find the end result will be the same.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What is with these worms lately lol

We call them superworms in North America, they have a high chitin component, less then in mealworms though, still feding them =impaction risk. They are also very fattening, that also doesn't help much.

so the questions are - what are your temps? Humidity? Substrate?, when your frog pooped last?
    please post a pic of your frog ( you need to host it somewhere like photobucket and then post url here.)

what you describe sounds like impaction and associated with it bloating, if so you should start with warm bath ( water level no higher then frogs chin) every day for 20 min for at least 3 days, but let's make sure there is nothing else going on.
    while you do that look for a vet in your area that treat frogs to have it on hand if bath doesn't help.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by smokinsam View Post
    Wait maybe not!
    I may have given you bad info if this sounds like your situation....
    Water Edema Syndrome
    The frog will start to swell up because of water retention. In very extreme cases, the frog may feel like a squishy water bag. A damaged lymph heart and kidney disease are common causes of water edema, and to date, there is no information as to prevention for the disorder. You can limit the amount of water that is available, or a vet can release retained water via small incisions at swell sites; but, this can be tedious, and you'll find the end result will be the same.

That is not correct. water edema is direct symptom of kindey failure, its irreversible, the cause in most cases keeping a frog in low temps for prolonged time. Doesn't sound it applicable to the situation on hand
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

That's what it says.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I'll have to get some pics in the morning, he's in a 30x30x30cm exo and has the canopy that goes with it. Temps are usually 23c sometimes a bit higher again we were told this is fine by the shop owner The person looking after the house said it had been cold at night but I'm not sure what it might have been dropping to. There is exo soil and moss in there, I'm taking the Moss out tomorrow.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

His Temps are 22c with no heating on currently. They're about 24-26c during the day sorry.
    I tried to get pic as I can't sleep from worrying.
    http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/x...pss2hydm8f.jpg

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

He's not pooped for over a week. Which is around when it started getting colder at night and when he got fed the worms. Not sure on exact humidity. But we mist him a few times in the day

Nationality
    [Canada]

22C is about 72F, 24-26 are about 75-79F. These are too low, but not critically low. You need to raise them, but make sure you do up gradually! I'm for 25-26 C day, 27-28 night.
    Next - soaks in warm water 80F (26-27C), 20 min a day, tomorrow ( it's probably today across the pond from us) when you do it, very gently massage the sides and try to feel a big hard mass on the left or right of both sides. Please tell us if you feel it or it all feels like a gelly.

What kind of water are you using?

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Did the picture work?
    We use Reptisafe with the water. How would you recommend raising the Temps? The canopy currently has it at 23c (it's day time now) during the night the canopy is off

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

He's had a soak, lots of wee, felt like he's of air.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Those 30cm tanks are not really good for pacmans IMO. They're difficult to heat and too small for a thermal gradient, the frog will also grow out it fast. They need temps between 26-29C at day and not below 21C at night. You'd be best with a starter kit like this http://www.globalgeckos.co.uk/public...roduct_id=1160

It's a bit expensive, but has almost everything you"ll need to save yourself a headache and will house an adult, but the 30cm tank won't.

15. This member thanks jasonm96 for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Good catch Jason!

Ferretdragon - great news! Hopefully it will stay this way

17. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

It won't let me edit my other post for some reason but I meant to say he feels full of air. Will bathe again tomorrow. He didn't really change size either. Just did a few wees
    Thank you for the link, unfortunately I trusted a petshop owners advice

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

It's unfortunate that some pet shops are not the best for advice, been there and wasted money. If you're stuck for money after convinced to buying that then zoomed do an 10-gallon amphibian starter kit which is perfect and all you've need is a dome and a moonlight bulb, I think all together this would set you at a £100. In a heated room the tank you have would be fine for raising a juvenile, but you just can't heat a tank that small properly. Heats the most important thing, which allows them to grow well, feed and digest their food properly.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Pet stores... my favourite topic ��.....

yes, you should give him a bath for a few days, hopefully it'll help

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Been keeping up baths, his skin isn't as taught now but hes still big, but he's just sat on top of his mud constantly - his eyes aren't cloudy or anything, he's just sat there. Probably waiting for more food -_-

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Pacman has passed away :(

Unfortunately it seems that at some point during the day today he passed away. I've been keeping everything up, heatmat was added to up night temps, he was peeing and was not as bloated as he'd started, he was still bright eyed and had been moving around the tank. I check on him nightly and in the morning and this afternoon whilst tidying my sons room we noticed that his eyes were flat and shrivelled, his sides are completely sucked in bar whatever he was blocked up with, he's entirely hard now with no softness left to him. We tried getting him wet (He gets misted daily anyway) and no response. We tried turning him over etc and he is just stiff and unresponsive. Very upset. My son is going to be absolutely heartbroken. I do want to get another frog but now I'm really worried that even if I buy a better setup etc this can happen all over again

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pacman has passed away :(

so sorry to hear

but

are you sure it's dead? as the temps were cool it could have decided to go into aestivation and they do look innamate ??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information