Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeding Frogs Fruit Flies = Frustrating!

Chelspaz

Default Feeding Frogs Fruit Flies = Frustrating!

(Try saying that 3 times fast. :P)

I have young frogs who are still very small. They can only eat fruit flies right now and I'm finding it really difficult to find a regimen that works just right.

I put my frogs (3) into a separate feeding container together, and then I drop the flies in with them. This is the method I've been using recently:

This is the container of flies I got online. Specifically at snailtail.com:
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408672316118.jpg
Views: 2186
Size:  30.5 KB

I cut out the mesh from one of the breathing holes and put tape over it, like a bandaid so the flies don't stick to the tape over the hole.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408672405042.jpg
Views: 2157
Size:  31.2 KB

Then when I'm ready to feed my frogs I put a little plastic vial over the hole and let the flies crawl into the vial.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408672454576.jpg
Views: 2132
Size:  29.9 KB

Then once I've got the desired amount of flies in the vial I plug the vial with a cotton ball and set up my frogs in their container. Then I basically unplug the cotton and tap the flies into the container.

I guess what frustrates me the most about this technique is that I never do get my desired amount of flies in the vial.

I just really don't know what to do with these huge containers of flies to where I can feed my frogs without getting flies EVERYWHERE as well as keeping my frogs contained while I'm dropping the flies in their feeding container.

I just can't wait until my frogs are big enough not to have to eat these darn things ever again!!!! Can anyone tell me how long that may take? For them to maybe get big enough to eat small crickets? I have gray tree frogs btw.

The whole point of this post is to see what kind of ideas I can get about efficient ways of doing this. You see what I've got to work with, so PLEASE help me get creative with a cool solution for this!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

awelcome

Default Re: Feeding Frogs Fruit Flies = Frustrating!

check out my post, I think it might be helpful to you.

http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...fe-easier.html

Chelspaz

That is a nice modification. I will definitely consider that method! Thanks!

awelcome

It has saved me much frustration already, and is holding up perfectly.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What types of frogs are you feeding?

Fruit Flies can be frustrating and mess when you first start using them, but once you get the hang of it they are far easier than keeping crickets on hand

I have a video on my youtube channel that I show how I make new Fruit Fly cultures and how I feed from them. The link to my channel is in my signature
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Blue Jeans' (2014 Nicaragua Import)
    1.1.0 - Oophaga Pumilio 'Chirique Grande' F1
    1.1.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Citronella'
    1.2.0 - D. Tinctorius 'Azureus'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'Sipaliwini'
    0.0.2 - D. Tinctorius 'New River'
    0.0.4 - D. Tinctorius 'Leucomelas'
    0.0.4 - Terribilis 'Mint'
    1.1.0 - R. Ventrimaculatus 'French Guiana'

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/hashtagfrogs
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgC...sEZiZQoT8sOuuw

Chelspaz

I mentioned at the end that I'm feeding gray tree frogs. :P

I will definitely check out your video as well. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Why don't you feed fruit flies directly into the frog's enclosure and use feeding containers? Also; are you using food supplements (CA/D3 and vitamins) to dust flies? It is very important to do so during a froglet initial growth stage. Sample schedules in here: http://www.frogforum.net/food-feeder...schedules.html.

Here is method I use to feed all my darts in couple minutes. You will need 2 empty plastic 32 oz. containers; your fly culture; a sink to catch any escapees. In one container you add your food supplement according to schedule. Tap you FF culture and open lid; tap again. Tilt FF container 45-60 degrees (FF like to climb) and tap them into empty container held by other hand. If they start climbing up before getting dusted (slows them down) tap that hand to mix them up. Once you get the desired amount; tap both containers, place one with dusted flies down in sink, tap the culture and place lid on it.

Now tap lightly the container with flies until all are well dusted and tip it while lightly tapping to get dusted flies into the second empty container. The idea is to get all flies out while leaving supplement dust behind. Once separated (a bit of dust will always get through - no worries) then just tilt the flies into your frog's enclosure. You want to add enough flies so froglets eat to satiation.

It sounds complicate as you read and first couple times; but once it becomes routine, you can feed many frogs from different cultures in a couple minutes .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Chelspaz

I dont think putting the flies in their enclosure would work all too well because the flies would get very easily lost in there and if they make it to the top, they could easily fit through the holes in the mesh lid. Are you saying to put the flies in a container and put that container in the enclosure?

I do put vitamin supplements on their flies every other day.

Chelspaz

What's to say the flies won't climb out of the container while it's in their enclosure also? Flies know how to get around, even if their flightless. I've definitely figured that out! Lol.

I guess I like the small opening kind of ideas for the cultures because I can more easily control how many flies I tap out. If I open the entire lid, I think it'll just be a mess. Even if I tap it, some will stick to the stuff they climb on inside the culture (forgot what it's called) and still make their way quickly to escape.

Fruit flies make me nervous. Lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

No I just dump the flies into the Vivarium. They can and will climb out of the tank if it is not FF proof. One thing you can do is set a small container near the tank or even on top of it filled with sugar water. The flies will dive in for a tasty snack and then die

A glass of vinegar works as well, but smells awful.

awelcome

In the beginning I was putting them all in and ended up with a good number of escapees from the tank.... either through the mesh or even the edges of the glass door. It was frustrating. Putting glass on top (for humidity reasons) only helped some and I still found them often. This was when I had a pretty bare tank in the beginning and they would scatter in the moss pretty quickly.

Then I redid my tank (to make it more proper for my species no thanks to the pet store) and I ended up with not only leaf litter which allows for a flatter feeding surface, but a large piece of flat wood which is my chosen feeding spot. It works great, and though the flies do scatter some they don't get far before he gets them. In fact not many make it off that log. The ones that do he picks off throughout the day, and I haven't had escapee problems since. I also, once I get them into the cup I will feed from doing the first cup method and then tapping into second cup to leave behind the extra supplement dust, put a lid onto that one and only drop in about a quarter to a third of the flies at once and let him get most of those before I add the next round. It takes longer, but I like to watch him eat anyway, and from start to finish I am always done within 10 minutes.

Chelspaz

Quote Originally Posted by awelcome View Post
    It has saved me much frustration already, and is holding up perfectly.
    I tried your modification tonight and it worked like a charm! Now I just have to get used to tapping and not tapping TOO hard because then I'll get too many flies! Lol. That's better than not getting enough though! This was also such an easy modification I feel silly I didn't think of it! Lol.

Thanks again!!!

awelcome

it took me a while to think of it lol... and I am glad it worked so well for you too. I can't imagine using these containers without it.

Chelspaz

Yea I honestly didn't know how the manufacturers or whoever thought we would be able to manage. I guess they just left us to think up our own ways. Lol.

awelcome

I started off with a nice mayo type jar from The Fruit Fly Company or something like that. It was MUCH easier to maneuver, so when I started culturing my own with the NEHERP containers I really struggled with the huge opening and the flies just pouring out all over like some horror film lol. I am sure with practice it's easier, but it was just too crazy for me and I am a problem solver.

17. This member thanks awelcome for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I will try to do a video tomorrow with a culture I have that is just busting with flies to show how I do it and get it posted. It really is easy once you get a system. I may have a couple flies get out onto the table, but those are easily caught and added into the feeding cup.

Nationality
    [United States]

Chelsea
    Could you post a photo of the enclosure the frogs are in?
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Chelspaz

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1408791273535.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  87.3 KBIt's just your basic frog starter kit that I got at Petsmart. I'm definitely planning on investing in something a bit bigger as the frogs themselves get bigger. but while they're small enough, this is working perfect.

Chelspaz

If you're interested in seeing pictures of my actual frogs, I have PLENTY of pictures on my profile page. I even have some of when they were tadpoles. I'm a photography buff so I kind of went a bit crazy with taking pictures of my frogs.

Chelspaz

Sorry I keep posting. I just keep remembering different things to mention - last one though.

I also fed my frogs in their separate containers rather than in their enclosure. Each frog even has its own little tupperware. I just find that easier for me to just control my frogs as well as the flies and also make sure all the frogs get food. I do have a lazy frog who doesn't work too hard for his food so I'm always concerned that when I feed them all together, he's not getting enough. But this way I can rest easy. Lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information