Thread: Frogs don't use UVB...

Tony

Default Frogs don't use UVB...

Conventional wisdom says that frogs do not need or use UVB lighting, apparently my froglets didn't get the memo. This little guy just spent 20 minutes basking before he found a spot to fold up and go back to sleep.

Last edited by Tony; February 14th, 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

poison beauties

Default Re: Frogs don't use UVB...

He is a little pasty, Maybe some UVB will help.

Michael

bshmerlie

LOL...He does look pasty. . My Red Eye tank is over grown....they could sleep anywhere to stay out of the light but they choose to sleep on leaves that are directly above the lights. Go figure.

wesleybrouwer

I believe that especially tree frogs have a certain need of UV.
    Above all of my vivs i use UV lights now, since i found that my tree frogs were lying in the beams of UV emitting lights, after a while they just have enough and descide to go underneath some leaves again.

I also found that my females when developing eggs, spend a lot longer in the UV beam.
    Results are bigger and better clutches, if it is coincedence? Not really sure yet, but i have a feeling it might just contribute.
    UV helps them develop D3 vitamin in a natural way, on it's turn D3 is part of a healthy calcium household.

Some species i saw in a greenhouse and in a viv without UV, even showed a different patern. I believe this also has something to do with the lighting.

I wrote an article about it a while ago, it was about lighting in general, part of it was dedicated to UV and it's working.
    It is only published in Dutch tough, but it will be published in the English edition soon.

6. 2 members thank wesleybrouwer for this post:

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

There are various schools of thought on this. My thinking is that if any frogs can benefit from it, it's Latin and South American tree frogs, but no one has presented any scientific studies to prove they need it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

poison beauties

My actual thoughts in this are that many of these frogs live under the canopy and are nocturnal. Im sure more than a few of them never see the rays of the sun. Whether actual uvb helps or not in the tads is something Im more interested in. As the rays of the sun do hit the water often.

Michael

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by poison beauties View Post
    My actual thoughts in this are that many of these frogs live under the canopy and are nocturnal. Im sure more than a few of them never see the rays of the sun. Whether actual uvb helps or not in the tads is something Im more interested in. As the rays of the sun do hit the water often.

Michael
    Phyllomedusines typically spend their days on leaves or perched on branches where they are exposed to a significant amount of sunlight.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Phyllomedusines typically spend their days on leaves or perched on branches where they are exposed to a significant amount of sunlight.
    That's absolutely right, and they cover themselves in a secretion that's a bit like sun cream (in concept).
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

wesleybrouwer

Indeed little research is done on the needs of frogs concerning UV or even vitamins/minerals.
    But almost every living thing benefits from sunlight (UV), i can't see why a frog would be any different.

UV provides a natural source of Vitamin D, something that is included in most of the supplements as well.
    I do believe a natural source is always better then by getting it trough supplements,
    that is why i use the UV in stead of a lot of Vit.D in powder form.
    It is essential to nerves and Calcium:Phosphor household,
    so i think the importance must not be underestimated

Even under the canopy, there is always an amount of radiation.
    Altough you might not expect it, people can even tan or burn in the shade.

This is because not all radiation is filtered out by a tree or umbrella.
    Altough most UV-B will be absorbed, UV-A wich is far more present in sunlight will come trough.
    Sunlight concists out of around 10% UV, of which 96% is UV-A, the rest is UV-B.
    UV-B radiation however, is 10 times as strong as A radiation.

To get tanned or sunburned by mostly/only UV-A radiation will take you approx. 10 times longer, but eventually it will happen, even when you think to be protected from the sun by sitting in the shade.

To my understanding, the waxy monkey tree frog, uses it's secretion because of the high temperatures,
    It prevents them from drying out, if it has an UV block, i am not certain.

@ Poison beauties

About the effects of UV on tadpoles, i've read some studies, in which it became clear that different species have different reactions.
    Some don't have any negative effects in any stadium, from egg to froglet/toadlet.
    Others seem to be less secretive when a high dose is provided, causing them to be easier prey for predators.
    I saw some species getting a higher mortality rate in tadpole stage because of this.
    Just google for a while to see the different outcomes on different species.
    It might be in line with the natural deposit sites.
    In case of froglet/toadlet stage, the mortality rates didn't seem to differ significantly.

Research done on frogs about this subject, i am verry interested in.
    So if you are familiair with some, please let me know.

poison beauties

Tree frogs are not my strong point. I do use a uv sterilizer and uv lighting over my hydroponic tad pole setups
    I will post them up when I get a chance to. temp controled, filter driven water runs through the system and if anything my success rate has greatly improven with the mre difficult thumbs like fants and reticulata.

Michael

Socrates

There have been numerous independent studies performed by various scientists pointing to the dangers of UVB on amphibians development and immune response. I only know this, because currently I am performing research on Rana sylvatica, and will be exposing them to various suspect stressors and seeing what their immune responses are. I read many times (from my mountain of scientific journals) that UVB can decrease growth, retard predator avoidance behavior of tadpoles, increase susceptibility to Bd and other fungus as well as increased incidence of parasite infection. Plus it makes sense that various species of frogs produce UV protecting mucus secretions, because they are protecting themselves from the damaging radiation. I find it all very interesting, but I have a gut feeling that it would not be beneficial going by the research to assume frogs actively bask like many reptiles do in full sunlight for extended periods.

Ok, I'll stop the nerdy train :-)

P.S. Beautiful frog.

iheartfrogs

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    There are various schools of thought on this. My thinking is that if any frogs can benefit from it, it's Latin and South American tree frogs, but no one has presented any scientific studies to prove they need it.

Since I started learning about frogs I found that seems to be the case in all areas ):
    I'm hungry for more information.

nok1888

I'm going to be keeping PDF's and will have a 2.0 UVB bulb. I know they don't necessarily need it but there needs to be a light so why not just use a UVB bulb. That way if they need it it's there and if they don't it'll not harm them. I'm new to all this and usually over think things but prefer to be safe than sorry

2.0 Border Collies - Jinky and Chance
    3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger and Crunchie
    1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina and Sedrick
    0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
    1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
    0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

Thread Information