Thread: Feeding Troubles

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Feeding Troubles

I'm having some feeding troubles with my fire bellies, and I need some advice. I've encountered several problems, so I'm going to list them. I usually feed every other day.

1. I don't think one of my FBTs, Duckweed, is getting enough food. He seems quite thin compared to Cowslip, who is a similar size. Cowslip is a really aggressive and quick hunter, so I'm worried that Cowslip is stealing the majority of the food and leaving poor Duckweed without much. However, I don't want to feed Duckweed outside the cage because Duckweed is terrified of my hands and being handled stresses him too much. What should I do about it?

2. I have another frog, Olive, who is quite overweight. That was my fault, I'm afraid. I've been trying to help her lose weight for a while now. I've been feeding her outside the enclosure and giving her one cricket every other day. But it doesn't seem to be helping much. How can I help a frog lose weight?

3. I want to stop feeding Olive outside the enclosure since being handled stresses her, but then I'm afraid she won't get enough food. Olive is very introverted and prefers to stay on her island while the boys are on the land portion, so she never even notices when it's feeding time. That, and the boys are aggressive hunters while she's a rather slow one, so she might not even be able to get enough food.

So many problems. Does anyone have any advice for me on how I can make sure all my frogs are healthy and happy?
    No frogs currently!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Tongue Flicker

Default Re: Feeding Troubles

Females are normal being fat. This is to accommodate their reproductive ability. Try giving her something smaller to eat or skip a day of feeding. Won't hurt her if she fasts 1 day of the week

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Really? That's relieving, because I don't want her to get sick or anything. How can I get her to start being a better hunter in the enclosure again?
    No frogs currently!

Tongue Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonPearl View Post
    Really? That's relieving, because I don't want her to get sick or anything. How can I get her to start being a better hunter in the enclosure again?
    Put faster moving prey but cut-off the leg tips to prevent it from climbing. Most crickets are fast moving if you nudge it right to attract the attention of frogs.

Thread Information