Hello,
I've got an Western Toad that I've had for a few months since they got out of the tadpole stage. I've been feeding them live meal worms (small ones) since they got big enough too. I was tracking how many they ate and they were averaging 4-5 a night but suddenly started eating only around 1-2 a night about two weeks ago. This is my first experience with having an amphibian as a pet so I haven't been sure what is normal and what isn't.
On that note, I think this next bit is not normal. They always ate just fine but since slowing down they go after the mealworm, get it in their mouth, then their whole body tenses up and their legs straighten out and they just kind of freeze for a minute. They don't seem to want to eat much else after that. They've been eating only a mealworm or two since this all started a few weeks ago and I've been trying to look up what could potentially be happening but I just can't find anything. Has anyone else had this sort of issue before? I'm at a lose and I feel bad because they aren't eating nearly as much and I want to make sure it isn't something that I am doing.
Thanks to anyone reading this!
Chelsea