Hi, First of all, I am new to the forum, so Hi everyone! Second, I am also new to the keeping of any amphibians or reptiles. Since I heard a fire belly toad was the easiest to take care I decided to get one, also because they look so awesome! Anyways, I am finding myself in need of some help. Although I researched and searched the net on these toads, I am still confused! Any help appreciated.

Well first of all, let me talk about the setup. I have a 10 gallon tank, So I read that coconut husk would be a good substrate. So I bought it, and man its messy. Anyways, thats the substrate. I was going to do half water and half land but the coconut husk kept getting into the water making look dirty, so I just decided to put husk all on the tank and just putting a bowl of water. So I did, On the left side of my tank, I put some husk, a little food bowl, and a little cave, on the right, I put a bowl, that I then surrounded with sphagnum moss. I put some filtered water in the bowl, and some rocks so he can climb out. I will try to post pics later, but can anyone tell me if these sounds right? I feel that I made something wrong! And heres why, its because my toad wont come out of the water!! When I first brought him home, we has just in one corner of the tank, then he found the water, Now he aint coming out! So he has pretty much been in the water for like 2 whole days! I heard they wont eat if in the water, so how to I make him come out?

Also, is the moss really necessary, I just bought it cuz a bunch of people kept saying to get moss for the toad, but when I go to youtube, I rarely see any tanks set up like mine, their tanks are all nice with no moss or even coconut husk whatsoever! All they have is water, and a bunch of rocks piled up in a corner for their toad to get out of the water. This is another reason why I think I did mine wrong. Oh the other reason I say if the moss is necessary, is because its really bugging me, I tried feeding it crickets, and they always hide in the moss! How am I supposed to feed it if they hide? So I left three small crickets overnight, but I cant find them. They are either hiding or have been eaten.

That is another issue I have, feeding the toad, when i first got it and tried to feed it, it did nothing. The cricket literally walked on my toads face and it did nothing! Im scared it will die of hunger. I tried several times to feed it but it wont do nothing.

Also, the reason I think he just stays in the water is because it might be cold outside for it. So I read they dont need no heat, but a normal house bulb would do fine. And since its a bit chilly in my house now, what wattage can I use to warm the tank a bit? Also, its not extremely cold either, I dont have a thermometer in my house, but I can feel the temperature is not to hot or to cold, I feel just fine.

Well thats all I want to say for now, so please anyone help me out. Im so desperate for help. Im so scared my toad might die of something! As I said, I will try to post pics of my set up so you guys can check it out and see if its a bad setup or if it should be fine. OH and if the moss aint really necessary, I might remove it and retunr to the store. (Is that possible?) Anyways, I hope to enjoy my time here on the forums helping and being helped. Thanks guys!