Thread: Am I feeding my toad right?

Poly

Default Am I feeding my toad right?

Hey everyone!

Just an update(with a few questions... ).

So, my toad is doing great! She eats good, and is growing very fast!

I have a few questions though...

1. Am I feeding her correctly? Here's what I do: I get her food ready, pick her up by hand and place her on the floor, then drop the food in front of her until she eats it, or I will hold the food in my fingers and drop it in front of her. I notice many people use tweezers to feed there amphibians, but I just use my hands, and my toads not afraid at all. I pick her up and she never pees on me either.

2. Is it normal for her sides to "bulge" otwards after a large meal? She looks like a tomato frog because her sides bulge very similarly to that:Name:  to.bmp
Views: 157
Size:  76.3 KB Name:  t.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  11.4 KB

3. How do I get her to eat slugs, she tries but can't seem to grab them, any tricks? I was thinking maybe, put them on paper towels?

Thanks!

~Royce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

JeffX

Default Re: Am I feeding my toad right?

Do you feed her on the floor? Or in a separate container? I suggest a container or in the tank.

I usually place the food in front of my amphibians and let them snatch it up from there. You can use your fingers as long as they are clean.

I've never fed my amphibians slugs and never heard of anyone doing it either. I'll let someone with more knowledge then myself answer that question.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Can you take a picture of her so we can get an idea on the bulging please? Regarding slugs, it's a learning experience for them, and usually they only eat the very small ones.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I'm glad your toad is doing so well. I don't use a tweezers to feed my toads or hand feed them. I just drop the food in their tank and watch them to make sure they are all eating good. My kids dropped a slug in their tank one day, and they have not touched it yet, it is just wandering around, doing its own thing. They do LOVE cut up earth worms and little red wigglers though. Some pics of the toad definitely would help.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by JeffX View Post
    Do you feed her on the floor? Or in a separate container? I suggest a container or in the tank.
    Yes, I feed her on the floor, if I put her in a seperate tank, she focuses more on trying to escape than eating, on the floor she's free to hop around and stalk her food.

John; I haven't been able to snap off a photo yet, it seems as though, when the toad has nothing in it's stomach, it's sides are "flat" but after a meal, they bulge out, it looks identical to a tomato frog, after the toad eats a meal. My girlfriend (she loooves amphibians like me), looked at the toad and asked me, honest to god this is what she asked "What's wrong with your tomato frog, there normally red, where'd you get a brown one?"... Hahaha!!! I then proceded to tell her the "meal = bulging" theory... oh, and that it's an american toad... not a tomato frog... (She was like; ...)

Amy; Yes, I found out about the cut-up earth worms... I cut one in half, dropped it on the floor in front of the toad, and it went crazy until it finally got it in it's mouth, then it was battling to keep it in it's mouth for 30 seconds or so... I think I just found a great, readily available (at any bait store) winter food!

~Royce

RABBIT 1

I would love to be able and own a white three frog, but i need to get another tank look where cheaper than new....

nicodimus22

I feed my toad in a bowl on the table. It keeps the crickets relatively close to her until she can get them. This is a good thing for a toad that misses 10-15 times before getting the tongue placement right. Terrible aim, that one.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Hi.

I've fed my boys small slugs before - they love them and snatch them up (only Louis has troubles once in a while, but he's notoriously bad at snatching earthworms, slugs - anything not a bug lol). So slugs can do just not too big. When I feed my two guys earthworms, I pick them up, place them on our floor (wood) and they then stalk the earthworms, until caught. This is easier for me, since the earthworms quickly burrow, if I let them loose in the tank, and they guys get bits of dirt in their mouth when snatching them, which makes them spit it out and not wanting to take the worm. (we never use any chemicals to clean our floor).

Otherwise, they are fed slugs from my finger or tropical bench chunks or crickets in a bowl, in the tank.

Thread Information