Thread: Crickets chirping

Kreamcheese

Default Crickets chirping

All of my animals are in my room including salamanders, frogs, chameleons and tarantulas. My large bin of crickets is kept in my garage and they do fine in there. One thing I started to do a while ago was clip off the male crickets wings before putting them in for feeding in my room. As far as I've seen the crickets aren't really affected by it and it completely eliminates all chirping so I can sleep in peace. Am I the only one doing this? It does take some effort but I've gotten pretty good at it over the past year.

2. This member thanks Kreamcheese for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Crickets chirping

I didn't find it disturbing when I had crickets. If anything I liked it and it wouldn't disturb my sleep at all. You could put the crickets in another room when you go to bed so they don't disturb you.

Kreamcheese

Quote Originally Posted by Whistly View Post
    I didn't find it disturbing when I had crickets. If anything I liked it and it wouldn't disturb my sleep at all. You could put the crickets in another room when you go to bed so they don't disturb you.
    All of my crickets are stored in the garage. My only reasoning for clipping their wings is when they're in my 8 different cages for feeding which all happen to be in my room.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

i also have muliple naturalistic cages. that chirping drives me crazy! That would be an aweful job though. I hate touching crix.

Kreamcheese

Quote Originally Posted by sajane View Post
    i also have muliple naturalistic cages. that chirping drives me crazy! That would be an aweful job though. I hate touching crix.
    I wear rubber gloves when i clip the wings so it isn't that bad. Just wondering if anybody else does this to their crickets haha

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I don't do that but man, it's a good idea!! I am sitting here now listening to a cricket that managed to grow to adulthood in my viv without getting eaten by any of my four gray tree frogs. It has been driving me insane for over a week now!!!!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]

Lol!!! I keep my cricket keeper in the other room if they get to chirping. They are so loud. But you're right! There's always that one in the tank that you can never sleep and is louder than ever, lol!

Just when you start to relax at the sound of your tank waterfall, chirp, chirp, chirp!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

In the summer I can hear thousands upon thousands of field crickets chirping outside my window. Will you come and clip their wings for me?

Honestly I don't mind the chirping of my feeders (or the wild ones for that matter) - it gives me the feeling of warm summer evenings year round.

Kreamcheese

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    In the summer I can hear thousands upon thousands of field crickets chirping outside my window. Will you come and clip their wings for me?

Honestly I don't mind the chirping of my feeders (or the wild ones for that matter) - it gives me the feeling of warm summer evenings year round.
    Sometimes I have wild ones chirping outside my window but those don't bother me. It's just when they're chirping right inside my room that drives me nuts.

bshmerlie

Ohhh how I wish all my frogs ate fruit flies.

Nationality
    [United States]

The outside ones sound nice. It's those little stinkers in the cricket keeper .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

I've been trying to raise crickets over the past month (one successful batch hatched) and I love the sound of the cricket chirp. Makes me feel like I'm camping, but then I only have one very happy male, the rest are females, plus it's entertainment for the cats. Hey, but kudo's to you for taking the time to do such a thing.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just a question for everyone...

I always feed my babies store bought crickets. But my honey has a house in western NY, in the country. There are a bazillion wild crickets in the yard and in the hay bales there. They are darker than store bought crickets, nearly black. It looks as if their outsides are a little tougher (Crunchier? Lol!). Would it be safe to use them? Not sure if I could catch them or if it would even be worth it, but thought I'd ask.

?

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Just a question for everyone...

I always feed my babies store bought crickets. But my honey has a house in western NY, in the country. There are a bazillion wild crickets in the yard and in the hay bales there. They are darker than store bought crickets, nearly black. It looks as if their outsides are a little tougher (Crunchier? Lol!). Would it be safe to use them? Not sure if I could catch them or if it would even be worth it, but thought I'd ask.

?
    Wild caught crickets are advised against due to parasite concerns (according to members more knowledgeable than me at least, see Johnny's and John's posts especially in http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ht-foods.html# )

Nationality
    [United States]

Ah, I figured.

MonsterPyxie

when I use to use crickets there where times I liked there chirping, made me fall asleep faster I think. Then there where times where one little jerk would jump out of my hands, and I would be tearing my living room apart trying to find the dang thing.

That was when I had an apartment, and the landlord came to me one time and said the person that lived next to me was complaining about hearing crickets all night, for weeks, that she had her bed against our wall that we shared. I just told her she must have been hearing it from outside, lol.

VERY glad I don't have to deal with them anymore now that I have a decent sized dubia colony

Nationality
    [United States]

Lol!

Sublime

I'm one of those exceptions where the chirping is peaceful to me. It's like white noise for me lol; I pass out so fast.

froggymatt

wow...i tried your idea and it works! best sleep i got in a month!

Kreamcheese

Quote Originally Posted by froggymatt View Post
    wow...i tried your idea and it works! best sleep i got in a month!
    Glad it worked!

Thread Information