Thread: Silly frog...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Silly frog...

I think my little Apollo is a confused boy.

When I got him a year ago, he would croak at the sound of the hair dryer. Every time it was used, he would start up. He loved that hair dryer until he heard the lawnmower one day, then he would croak whenever the lawn was being mowed. He went back to loving the hair dryer after a while. When we moved, he started croaking whenever my cat would start "coughing", and then when I got sick, he did the same thing. Can't forget video game music & fights. He loves those too.

Why do they croak at the oddest of sounds? Is there something within those various noises that triggers them to do so?

Just curious as I have noticed he's very random about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Australia]

Default Re: Silly frog...

He could think they are others of his species? Other than that I don't know that's very odd haha
    ~ Australian frogs Gotta love them

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

That is funny I have heard of frogs croaking at the sound of the vacuum and certain things on the TV, so your frog isn't totally strange hehe
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I have the same experience with my little male WTF Paul. He'll randomly croak (always during the day) when I'm vaccuming, playing Video Games, watching action movies, or just randomly when I'm on the computer and the room is silent. It's funniest when he croaks when I have a lot of people over and we're all talking at once, it's like he wants us to share some of the attention. XD;

Not sure what makes them do it...

And btw, I have two Tiger Legged Monkey Tree Frogs named Apollo and Artemis, what a coincidence.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

White's Tree frogs are known to croak when there is a change in the atmospheric pressure, in other words when there is a storm in the forecast. Nearly every time before it rained or during a storm, my White's tree frog would croak. However, sometimes my frog does croak to the sound of the vacuum or to heavy static on the radio. There could be a certain frequencies in those certain noises that we humans are not sensitive to, that white's are able to detect. Those frequencies could be the same frequencies that are found in a White's call. For a project on frog vocalizations, I have played back calls that I recorded of my White's; every time he responds back to his own calls. It's pretty interesting to watch.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frogluver View Post
    For a project on frog vocalizations, I have played back calls that I recorded of my White's; every time he responds back to his own calls. It's pretty interesting to watch.
    That's very interesting information...I had a theory that there were sounds that we couldn't hear that call for the frogs to respond. Also, what you said above about playing back your frog's own calls...that might explain why my little guy won't respond to any other frog's croak. I think I've played youtube videos of White's croaking about a dozen times with only one response. And right after he's done croaking, he won't do it again for some time. Very weird.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Nationality
    [United States]

I can get my white's to start calling by imitating their call myself...i have too much time on my hands.
    Azureus Matecho BYH Citronella Regina White's TF

Josh (aka jwthought81)

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

You should record your imitated call and post it on here so we can all hear it lololol !!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

My WTFs when a storm is coming in : Whites Tree Frogs at Play 5-24-2011 - YouTube
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    That's very interesting information...I had a theory that there were sounds that we couldn't hear that call for the frogs to respond. Also, what you said above about playing back your frog's own calls...that might explain why my little guy won't respond to any other frog's croak. I think I've played youtube videos of White's croaking about a dozen times with only one response. And right after he's done croaking, he won't do it again for some time. Very weird.
    That is very peculiar and interesting.

Hugsy

My male use to start calling to a certain Tim McGraw song... though I can't remember which one now. I can also get him to start calling to a recording that I found online here. I'll have to google it. I'm not sure what the policy is on posting links? Then he randomly croaks through out the day and my two year old tries to imitate it. It's too funny.

Nationality
    [United States]

Here's a few frog recording to experiment with:

Songs of the Frog
    Azureus Matecho BYH Citronella Regina White's TF

Josh (aka jwthought81)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Striped marsh View Post
    He could think they are others of his species? Other than that I don't know that's very odd haha
    I think it's adorable. My mom and I always start laughing when he does it because there are times that it is so random.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyPad View Post
    That is funny I have heard of frogs croaking at the sound of the vacuum and certain things on the TV, so your frog isn't totally strange hehe

Hehe. Well, that's good to know. I've just always wondered why he does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisa View Post
    I have the same experience with my little male Whites Tree Frog Paul. He'll randomly croak (always during the day) when I'm vaccuming, playing Video Games, watching action movies, or just randomly when I'm on the computer and the room is silent. It's funniest when he croaks when I have a lot of people over and we're all talking at once, it's like he wants us to share some of the attention. XD;

Not sure what makes them do it...

And btw, I have two Tiger Legged Monkey Tree Frogs named Apollo and Artemis, what a coincidence.

Mine hasn't tried getting in on the conversations yet. He's my little buddy though and likes to be in the room with people. I pull him out once in a while and he just chills with me on my shirt.

That's crazy! Haha. I hadn't named mine, so I posted something in my blog and got a response. Like Apollo and Artemis better than Echo and Narcissus. I'm jealous! -steals frogs- I want some Tiger Legged Monkey Tree Frogs. They are sooo pretty. Are they hard to take care of?

Quote Originally Posted by frogluver View Post
    White's Tree frogs are known to croak when there is a change in the atmospheric pressure, in other words when there is a storm in the forecast. Nearly every time before it rained or during a storm, my White's tree frog would croak. However, sometimes my frog does croak to the sound of the vacuum or to heavy static on the radio. There could be a certain frequencies in those certain noises that we humans are not sensitive to, that white's are able to detect. Those frequencies could be the same frequencies that are found in a White's call. For a project on frog vocalizations, I have played back calls that I recorded of my White's; every time he responds back to his own calls. It's pretty interesting to watch.

He's never responded to other frog calls. And as far as the weather goes, it's been pretty constant here lately. Not sure what the atmospheric pressure is right now. I know he started croaking to the vacuum cleaner the other day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information