Thread: Froglet Tank Size Question

meganmcnerney

Default Froglet Tank Size Question

Hi All...I have 6 gray tree frog tadpoles getting ready to turn into froglets. Can I keep them all in a 10 gal tank? If so, for how long? I do not plan on keeping them in the 10 gal forever, just the temporary tank until I have the permanent tank ready.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Froglet Tank Size Question

Yes, that is a good size for them while they are growing. That way they have an easier time finding food. You could probably leave them in there for a couple of months, I'm not sure how fast gray tree froglets grow! I've had my spring peeper froglets in a 10 gallon for 4 weeks so far and they aren't near big enough yet for the next size tank...though they stay MUCH smaller than grays anyways.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Lynx

My Grays morphed about 2 months ago, and they're still in their "temporary" tank (a 20 gal high) until I finish their hopefully awesome digs. They grow amazingly fast. Right now the one I could measure is about 1 1/4" snout to vent, and all 4 seem to be about the same size. Your tank will work for now, but if you plan on keeping all 6, I'd definitely go garage sale hunting for a larger enclosure.

One other note, because it happened to me and it caused a very stressful first few days: make sure you have fruit flies or pinhead crickets on hand when they morph. They won't eat until their tails are fully resorbed. I knew my local pet stores carried fruit flies but not pinheads, so I wasn't worried about food. However, when the time came that I needed them, every store in 20 miles was out . I had to enlist neighborhood children to help me round up enough bugs small enough for them until my online order arrived. That was a pretty big fail on my part.

meganmcnerney

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely keep the food in mind. Only one of the tadpoles is growing hind legs at this point...I'm not very patient, so I'm ready for them to morph already! I'm not sure yet if I will keep all six. I doubt it, and I have one friend who is interested in taking a couple and I can always return others to the person who gave us the tadpoles in the first place. She has an outdoor frog pond.

Do you have a picture of your froglet tank? I'd love to see it.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would recommend about 10 gallons per tree frog when you move them to a larger tank. I have my 4 in a 35 gal hex tank, if it wasn't for the nice vertical space of that tank, it would probably be too small, but it works well.

Here is the spring peeper grow out tank -

I would add in some crisscross branches for the gray tree frogs. They like the bromeliad because it holds water, but not enough to drown them.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Thread Information