Thread: Changed Enviroment

wosborne

Default Changed Enviroment

I changed up the habitat / arrangement in my WTF tank and now the little dude hasn't eaten in a couple days. I went to a full water substrate with lots of vines and driftwood to climb on. Because of this, I am now feeding him in a feeding bowl instead of free range crickets. Is this normal - to get acclimated in the new environment for a couple of days before eating again. Temps are the same - humidity may be a little higher, but good. What do you think? Should I even worry for now?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Changed Enviroment

Since these frogs are not great swimmers, I would have to ask why a full water bottom and how deep is it? A photo would help here.

If your frogs never ate from a cricket bowl they may just need time adjusting. If you had the frogs for a white and they had found certain places they felt comfortable sleep at, and you removed those places, then your pretty much going through the acclimation process all over.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

bshmerlie

I had a frog in the same tank for almost two years...I moved him to a bigger tank and he wouldn't come out of hiding for a month. Give him time.

wosborne

Water is 1 1/2" max. I attached a pic. Its from my GoPro so its a fisheye lens. He is new the cricket bowl and he likes to sleep in a different spot now. I guess he is just getting used to it. Thanks for the reply's.

He is a pic from my GoPro.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]

Any big change can cause a frog to get out of their normal behavior patterns for a while. Probably nothing to worry about. However, I dont think this is the most appropriate enclosure for a white's, if for nothing else than that the water will need very frequent changing, as waste and dead crickets build up in the water.

Looks nice, tho.
    Azureus Matecho BYH Citronella Regina White's TF

Josh (aka jwthought81)

wosborne

Thanks. The water has a filter and the crickets remain in the feeding bowl. Water changes every two weeks. Simple to keep clean. Also, there is more land than the pic shows. Its not a very good pic.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think you'll find that the frog will spend a good deal of time in and around the water feature. You'll likely have to clean more regularly, but the filter will help some. I keep my 3.2 group with a really large water container (about 10 gallons at least) and I need to change it every other day. I used to be more lax about it, but I also would see different bacterial infections in my frogs a few times a year. Since I started more frequent changes, much less health issues. I should note that my group is housed outdoors so they are exposed to more potential pathogens.

Josh (aka jwthought81)

wosborne

Yeah, he loves the water. I have two large filters but I will up my water changes frequency anyways. It's way easier to clean the water/ tank than when I had a false bottom and soil substrate. I do have not any live plants so the water bottom seems the way to go. The humidity is easier (of course) to control too. Thanks for your input. It's always appreciate.

Also, what a 3.2 group?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by wosborne View Post
    Also, what a 3.2 group?
    It mean 3 males and 2 females....when you see 3.2.6, for example, it means 3 males, 2 females, and 6 unknown sexes. Male.Female.Unknown

My group is actually 2.3, i mis-typed earlier.

Josh (aka jwthought81)

Freebird11

Ive had two whites for a LONG time now. I use plants and have had no problems with them ever. It is a little tricky to pick plants that need a similar environment to what the frogs need, but I have a fern, a dwarf banana tree and a grape vine that are all thriving in the same tank as my frogs. The love to climb to the top of the tank, and using real plants and dirt makes maintaining a good relative humidity fairly easy. The only draw back that the real plants have is that they provide a place for your crickets to hide, and there is always one that never gets eaten and chirps its way through the night and day. As for where to get them, you can get them at petsmart or Petco, or online at kingsnake.com. You can handle them, they are quite robust, I am a teacher and I enjoy bringing them into my classroom every now and then. Also know that dumpy’s are mostly nocturnal, and kinda lazy, but beautiful and easy to care for. Enjoy ur new pets!

Thread Information