Thread: French Guiana Ventrimaculatus: observations

bshmerlie

Default French Guiana Ventrimaculatus: observations

Just wanted to share some of my observations about this species and I encourage others who keep them to share as well. This could be a good resource for someone interested in getting some vents in the future.

As babies they are extremely shy. They hang out under the leaf litter and would always retreat there if I opened the tank. I got a trio of babies when they were about a month out of the water. One, which later was determined to be the male would perch himself high up in the corners of the tank. The girls I very rarely ever saw. One I don't think I saw for about three months.

They eat the wingless melanogaster fruit flies but as babies they really like the springtails in the leaf litter.

At about six months Victor (male) started calling. It is a very faint short squeak. Slowly the girls started coming out of hiding. Andnow at almost eight months they are like a group of teenagers in love. They are all now very visible and active. They really like broms and will sleep inbetween the leaves at night.

If you get some you've got to be patient with them and resist the urge to tear apart the tank to find them. Don't expect to see much of them until they are about six months of age. Once they start exhibiting breeding behaviors they can be very enjoyable frogs to watch.

As with all thumbnails they are extrely small and all three could fit on my thumbnail. They do get a little bigger as adults but never will they be described as anything but small. Keep that in mind when purchasing frogs on the internet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: French Guiana Ventrimaculatus: observations

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie
    be patient with them and resist the urge to tear apart the tank to find them. Don't expect to see much of them until they are about six months of age. Once they start exhibiting breeding behaviors they can be very enjoyable frogs to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie
    As with all thumbnails they are extrely small and all three could fit on my thumbnail. They do get a little bigger as adults but never will they be described as anything but small. Keep that in mind when purchasing frogs on the internet.
    Two very important pieces of advice that apply to most thumbnail dart frogs. I wish more hobbyists would follow this kind of advice. Hopefully now they will!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information