Thread: Spots when I'm dark green?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Spots when I'm dark green?

As I am new to my RETF please tell me...

I have noticed a few white spots on the back and one on the left hind leg of my frog. I can not see them during the day when she is light green. They are only visible at night when she is darker green. I have just recently been photographing her at night and am not sure if they were there prior, as I usually look at her most during the day.

Her habits have not changed and everything seems fine.

Should I be concerned?

I took pictures last night. Please let me know what you think.

I was about ready to head to the store for distilled water. And of I need chamomile, do I use a tea bag?

Also, being I have a waterfall and water base in my terrarium, how often should I clean it and what to use?

How often should I do water changes for the base and what percentage of the water? I don't want to kill the flora if I don't have to.

Also, in a new terrarium or vivarium with a water feature (in case I start another), how long should I wait for the tank to cycle to safely house new frogs?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks so much!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Default Re: Spots when I'm dark green?

I wouldn't worry about the spots.

I've no idea what you need tea for. Where's that idea from?

Changing the water in the base is really a "make it up as you go" kind of thing. If it looks to be turning murky I would change the whole volume out.

You don't need to cycle the water in the water feature unless you're keeping fish in it (bad idea). The water section is really for drainage, not much else. Any "filtration" is done by the substrate as moisture passes down through it.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

I read online that if the spots are the start of oodinium that I should remove her and rinse her with distilled water and then slightly tinted chamomile tea. ? And then to clean the tank again.

Thanks!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I would try to get a professional diagnosis before jumping to conclusions. Who made this recommendation?
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Mine will occasionally have a few white spots that go away a day or two later. Never concerned me since it doesn't seem to bother them. Only happens rarely but has shown up a few times.

If they concern you, have them check by a vet like John said before taking any action.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

I read it online after searching through the web. Was just scrolling around to check photos and remedies.

She is acting normal and they don't seem to bother her, which is relieving. I'll keep an eye on her.

cowbully

hi i have a red eye and its dark green with light green spots all over what do i do i have had it for a month and its not been good like a week after i got it?????

Nationality
    [United States]

John was right. I soaked her in distilled water and then let her be. She is eating and pooping well and has had no symptoms of illness. And gee, I think she's even grown a bit more. The spots are less visible and she seems fine .

Does your frog have any signs of being sick?

cowbully

I cant really tell if its eating but it doesnt really stick to the glass it just hangs out at the bottom or on a leaf i have the red eye in his own tank if there is somethen wrong i dont want my other getting sick

cowbully

Name:  securedownload[1] (4).jpg
Views: 285
Size:  38.7 KBmaybe hard to see but i just took the pic of my red eye i have not seen him that light green in a couple weeks ????

cowbully

and the spots are a light green not white

Nationality
    [United States]

Is he still eating well? I am not so sure. I've not seen the light green spots. Try posting a fresh post with the picture. Someone will likely know and have recommendations. They will answer quicker with a "new" post. If I find out anything I'll let you know. Good luck either way! I hope you baby stays well.

bshmerlie

Cowbully, the lime green spots are usually a sign of a bacterial infection and it needs to be treated right away. People have used baytril to treat this infection and have been sucessful but it has to be done right away. I would suggest getting your frog to a vet who treats frogs and get him looked at immediatley. You don't have much time so please do not wait. Lower your humidity to 50-60% and see a vet ASAP.

Heatheranne, to me your white dots just look like the normal white birth marks that are often found on Red Eyes. They will come and go and there is nothing to be worried about. I consider them to be like freckles. I often use the dots to help me to identify which frog is which as the dots are unique to each frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

That is a good explanation and makes sense. They are faintly visible only if I turn on the black light. In the day light they are "invisible". And my baby seems healthy as a horse, lol!

I have been reading a lot more to know and understand my little guys. And everyone here shares so much knowledge also. It has been very rewarding and is helping me to keep my babies happy and healthy .

Thanks so much to everyone here!

Nationality
    [United States]

I dont like how that frog looks, Cowbully. I agree with Cheri's assessment, with the exception that it may be fungal in addition to or in lieu of bacterial. I don't wanna jump to conclusions, but I've seen that type of coloration in frogs that I eventually treated for chytrid. Certainly a vet visit is in order.
    Azureus Matecho BYH Citronella Regina White's TF

Josh (aka jwthought81)

Thread Information