Thread: pacman turning brown?

SiNi5T3R

Default pacman turning brown?

My pacmans back is turning brown and discolored. Is this what happens before they shed or am I not keeping the humidity high enough? Got a heat pad and put one side of the container on it and put a small book at the other end to make a pool of water for the pacman to sit in onto of the heat pad. He has been sitting in it since. But what's up with his back being all brown from his normal bright green.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: pacman turning brown?

Eventually, Green Pacman Frogs will start to turn brown. If this has been happening over the past few weeks/months, I wouldn't worry about it. If this is something that has happend over the last day or two, than there may be something causing it. I have found that Pacman Frogs will slightly changes colors if they are stressed, or if the humidity isn't high enough.

How old is your Pacman Frog? How reciently has it started turning brown?

SiNi5T3R

We got him not even 2 weeks ago. hes been eating great and as far as i know is still eating great. He is prob a few months old im guessing. about the side of a fifty cent piece. not too big. its happened over a span of about 2 to 3 days. he still hops around like he is okay tho. ill try and get the humidity up. any tips on how to do that fast? right now im using coco husk bedding and on one side is a small pool of water for him to chill in. you think if i just get that water on top of the heat pad it should humidify the place right up for him? I think the holes on each side of the lid i have is decreasing the humidity a bit aswell. may have to plug them up with glue or plastic wrap or something....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They do tend to darken as they get older. My pacman Grif had a lot more green in his pattern when he was little, but now he is mostly brown. However, if your frog has shifted colors in just a couple days, it could be due to stress factors (such as problems with temp or humidity or too much noise). If you are having trouble keeping the humidity up, you may want to try covering part of the lid with plastic wrap. It will help keep a lot of the moisture inside the tank. Just make sure you leave some area open for ventilation. Keep an eye on him. If there are no other symptoms and he continues to eat well, then it may just be the humidity. I hope you're little guy is ok!

SiNi5T3R

Well I have the same substrate in my bullfrog tank and one of my toads has also started turning the brown coloring on his back. Im starting to think its the tannins from the substrate leaking into there water portion of there tank and its just turning there skin a off coloration. As far as I know tannins are harmless to reptiles. Its okay for frogs right?

BG

Before I was looking for a pacman frog I did some research and I found out that the green pacmans loose that bright green when they are babies so what I did was I picked one up that had very few spots a on him but to tell you the truth there are brown ones from the fervor so the green ones are not really a try brown color its a different tone of colors that's why I love these guys they have the coolest patterns even the real brown ones.I THINK IN THE WILD THE LESS SPOTED ONES WOULD OF GOT EATIN BECAUSE THE MORE SPOTS YOU HAVE THE MORE YOU BLEND IN BUT THE PACMAN FROG IS A SMART ANIMAL IT HAS LEARNED TO ADAPT LIKE MY FROG CHANGED FROM SOLID GREEN TO A MULTI COLOR PATTERN

Tree Frog

It may be because of tannins but i didnt think they affected frogs

Thread Information