Thread: Lighting, eating question about my pacman frog!

sobo2gego

Default Lighting, eating question about my pacman frog!

I have a couple questions about my pacman frog, hopefully someone can help me out!

1. How much light do they need? And do they require a overhead tank light?
    My room has 2 windows so I just assumed the sunlight was enough, but I want to make sure.
    I was reading and someone was saying that pacman frogs will stop eating if they get to much light and thats a problem for me.
    He gets light when the sun come up to when the sun goes down (7 am- 8 pm). Than when i get home around 11pm at night i turn on my bedroom light for
    4 hours. So the frogs getting 13 hours of light than 3 hours of dark than another 4 hours of light than 3 hours of dark. Is this bad for the frog and if so does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

2. My frog doesnt eat all that much. Hes about the size of the top of a soda can. Hes only eating one cricket at a time and thats every other couple days. (ate one on the 12 than another on the 16) I feed him bye moving him to a different small home, otherwise he wont move and wont eat.
    So how much should they eat/ how often do they eat?
    Do they eat during the day or night?
    If mines not eating, what might be the problem?

Information you might need:

The tank stays at a constant 60-70% humidity and a constant 78-82 degree heat.
    I use bed-a-beast like substrant ( not that exact brand but its the same idea)
    He has a water bowl with some fake plants around it, the water comes up to his shoulders.
    Hes in a ten gallon tank with a lid.

If anyone can help me out that would be great! thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demeteraurion

Default Re: Lighting, eating question about my pacman frog!

They don't require sunlight or lights. I wouldn't put him directly in front of a window though, regular room light should be adequate. He may start eating more if you raise the temps higher. My frog rarely eats too. I think many pacmans eat when they want but mine prefers to hunt at night time.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Lighting, eating question about my pacman frog!

Quote Originally Posted by sobo2gego View Post
    I have a couple questions about my pacman frog, hopefully someone can help me out!

1. How much light do they need? And do they require a overhead tank light?
    My room has 2 windows so I just assumed the sunlight was enough, but I want to make sure.
    I was reading and someone was saying that pacman frogs will stop eating if they get to much light and thats a problem for me.
    He gets light when the sun come up to when the sun goes down (7 am- 8 pm). Than when i get home around 11pm at night i turn on my bedroom light for
    4 hours. So the frogs getting 13 hours of light than 3 hours of dark than another 4 hours of light than 3 hours of dark. Is this bad for the frog and if so does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

2. My frog doesnt eat all that much. Hes about the size of the top of a soda can. Hes only eating one cricket at a time and thats every other couple days. (ate one on the 12 than another on the 16) I feed him bye moving him to a different small home, otherwise he wont move and wont eat.
    So how much should they eat/ how often do they eat?
    Do they eat during the day or night?
    If mines not eating, what might be the problem?

Information you might need:

The tank stays at a constant 60-70% humidity and a constant 78-82 degree heat.
    I use bed-a-beast like substrant ( not that exact brand but its the same idea)
    He has a water bowl with some fake plants around it, the water comes up to his shoulders.
    Hes in a ten gallon tank with a lid.

If anyone can help me out that would be great! thanks!

Pacman frogs are mainly nocturnal. They feed at night. He may need his temp during the day to be 85 F. Night time can drop to 75. Humidity should be kept around 70 to 80%. If he eats if even sparsly its good, but he should be eating more than that much more. The light in your room may not bother him very much as long as its not to bright. The sunlight is ok but like Demeteraurion said they don't have to get direct light. Don't put him next to the windo either or he may be cooked by the sun light amplifying through both the glass from the window and his tank. He may be a private eater so if you drop about 4 crickets in and leave him be he may eat. You could also move him to a room that it can stay dark in at night. They do require a 12 hour day/night cycle. If the light in your room is to bright it may bother him at night. You could try to use a less bright bulb for your room. Some frogs will eat if you spray their tank before you feed them to spike the humidity up. There are several factors for keeping them. Good luck.

Thread Information