Thread: Substrate question - please help

lindab22

Question Substrate question - please help

I was using something called reptile bark(smells like cedar) for my Fowler's toad. Yesterday I switched to eco earth loose coconut fiber which says it's for amphibians. This new substrate gets into Jabba's water dish and food dish. It also seems to stick to his body. Is this bad for him? He's just so lovable. Thanks for any advice. Linda

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Griffin

Default Re: Substrate question - please help

it shouldn't bother him

blood4eva69

i have eco earth and it is great for the moisture but if you are concern you could put a layer of frog moss (or any any moss)ontop of the eco earth so he doesnt get the sand all over him and his water.

mommyof4froglovers

It can bother some frogs skin, but if you put moss over it, it is fine. I have used it off and on for my whites tree frog.

Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by blood4eva69 View Post
    i have eco earth and it is great for the moisture but if you are concern you could put a layer of frog moss (or any any moss)ontop of the eco earth so he doesnt get the sand all over him and his water.
    does the frog moss you buy at a pet store(i think the brand is t-rex)in a bag come back to life if you keep it moist?

blood4eva69

Yes the frog moss does im sure the others will too. Just make sure it is moist not too damp. What moss are you buying?

Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by blood4eva69 View Post
    Yes the frog moss does im sure the others will too. Just make sure it is moist not too damp. What moss are you buying?
    well i have some tropical sheet moss right now that i have had for about 2 weeks and it is staying green,so hopefully it stays alive and grows.i wanted to try some other mosses thats why i asked and i saw the frog moss in pets-mart and it says if you put water on it it will come back to life and wanted to see if anyone had luck with it

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have not had luck with that myself Griffin. I put it in, wet it down, and it just turned brown, never grew! Does your toad burrow? For my toads, I have a good portion of the tank covered with hypnum moss. I chose that because it is hardy and can stand up to toad damage. I have the moss covering the eco earth with a lot of open spaces so they can find places to burrow. I would not recommend using sphagnum peat moss (the dead stuff you see in stores) as an aggressive eater (like a toad) could eat it and cause impaction. Your toad should be just fine with the eco earth, if it seems to be bothering him, then I would find a nice flat live moss to put in there.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Ren

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    well i have some tropical sheet moss right now that i have had for about 2 weeks and it is staying green,so hopefully it stays alive and grows.i wanted to try some other mosses thats why i asked and i saw the frog moss in pets-mart and it says if you put water on it it will come back to life and wanted to see if anyone had luck with it
    I also have not had luck with it... Ive had mine now about 2 months, and its kinda green, but mostly brown and no "new" life seams to be noticed...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Read this.

Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

While written with newts and salamnders in context, the same rules apply for frogs and toads.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Thread Information