Thread: New Ranitomeya benedicta

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New Ranitomeya benedicta

Hi all.

I received four Ranitomeya benedicta juveniles a few weeks ago. They really are that red. They were shy at first but now they don't immediately run for cover when I walk in. I would have to say they're bolder than R. ventrimaculata. Definitely not at the boldness level of R. imitator or R. variabilis. Still, I expect they will be bolder after they start breeding (fingers crossed). This is the first time I've kept a member of the Ranitomeya fantastica sub-group of the thumbnail dart frogs. The thing that strikes me most beyond the coloration is the body shape. They're very streamlined, and they seem slightly elongated in comparison to R. imitator, for example. Here are photos of two of the four:

Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: New Ranitomeya benedicta

Those are beautiful John. I'm getting four of them from Chris Miller in October when I fly out to Chicago. Where did you get yours from ? Are you keeping them all in the same tank or did you split them up? What size tank are you using? Any pics of the tank? I've got to get mine setup ASAP.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I got them from Innovative Ectotherms. They're in a quarantine container. Basically I'm growing them out until I can reliably sex them, then I'll make a pair and sell the extras. I've already seen a little male on male aggression and calling, so that might be sooner than I had planned.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Those are some great looking little frogs John!! Thanks for sharing
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

6. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

They have beautiful markings
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I got them from Innovative Ectotherms. They're in a quarantine container. Basically I'm growing them out until I can reliably sex them, then I'll make a pair and sell the extras. I've already seen a little male on male aggression and calling, so that might be sooner than I had planned.
    I'm going to be keeping mine in an 18X18X24 Exo. I was hoping to be keeping them together until I could sex them as well. I'm worried about aggression happening while I'm at work...maybe I should split them into two tanks. What do you think? Honestly, I'm not skilled enough to be able to sex them myself until I hear a male calling. Are they going to start beating each other up before then?

wesleybrouwer

Impressive how you captured them on film.
    They aren't exactly the kind of frogs waiting for you to shoot your pictures

bshmerlie

Quote Originally Posted by wesleybrouwer View Post
    Impressive how you captured them on film.
    They aren't exactly the kind of frogs waiting for you to shoot your pictures
    That's because John uses "display" leaves that are tacky like fly paper. That way he can take them out and take their pictures with perfect lighting. Come on....haven't you wondered how his leaves are all so perfectly clean? And the perfect color?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Haha, no they're not tacky. They're just sea grape leaves, just like I use in most of my terrariums. I've spent much of the past 5 years photographing wild amphibians. They're so much more challenging than the captive variety, so photographing these guys, while not easy, is not as challenging given the handling skills I've developed. Mind you, I work up a lot of sweat taking photos like these. You have to watch the frogs like a hawk in case they get close to jumping off the table. You also have to be quick with the photography because they don't pose well (this species is particularly fond of bunching up and honkering down).

Regarding keeping them together, there's no problem when they don't have any laying sites, and not enough room to dominate each other. Though they do seem to be more belligerent than imitator.

bshmerlie

So when you're taking pictures of your frogs they're sitting on leaves on a table? And they stay? LOL....I'm doing something wrong. Are you sure no spray glue was involved in the making of your pictures?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow, the colors are so intense on these Ranitomeya benedicta, and you pics are awesome as always John.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    So when you're taking pictures of your frogs they're sitting on leaves on a table? And they stay? LOL....I'm doing something wrong. Are you sure no spray glue was involved in the making of your pictures?
    Well, they don't stay exactly. They eventually try to jump off the table. Basically I herd them around as they jump, and then I try to shoot them after they land. It takes some skill to constantly watch them, catch them, shoot, and not squish them. I've never squished a frog or harmed one in any way, but I grew up handling frogs from about the age of 4. I've also been blessed with lightning reflexes - they've saved me a lot of potential anguish!

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    Wow, the colors are so intense on these Ranitomeya benedicta, and you pics are awesome as always John.
    Thanks Don. Often I give the RAW photos a saturation boost but not in the case of these guys. That red, if anything, is more intense in person than in the photos. The blue is a kind of dark pastel blue - not as pretty as what you see in imitator, vents, and variabilis.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Come on John, we know your really Ave Ventura and can hypnotize the frogs with just the quick evil eye.
    Then you pose them, snap a pic or two and snap your fingers to awaken them. We Know.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

bshmerlie

Shooting them on a table with leaves does explain a lot. Now, I just have to work on that courage of mine.

Thread Information