Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baby pixie [Problem]

Sublime

Default My baby pixie [Problem]

I just moved my pixie into a a 20/30 gallon tank and I put some crickets in last night. He/she ate like probably 5 crickets and the rest were kind of scattered around. My pixie keeps missing the leftover crickets in there and swallowing the coco fiber substrate. I tried doing the method where you put him in a water dish and put your food in there but he seems not interested. Whenever I'm trying to pick him up he's too active. Other than that he was in his water dish all night, but I can't get him to eat properly.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My baby pixie [Problem]

How wide is the water dish? If it's sufficiently wide, get some nightcrawlers (in the US, Walmart sells safe nightcrawlers in the bait fridge). Put the Pyxie in the water dish and dangle a worm in front of him. It helps to use forceps (big tweezers). If that doesn't get his/her attention, drop one in the water with it and then back away. This never fails to provoke a feeding response. It should learn pretty quickly to take them from a forceps. Earthworms/nightcrawlers are a far superior food to crickets for feeding African Bullfrogs, and they don't need to be gut-loaded, just dusted with mineral supplements very now and then.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Sublime

It's probably like a 4x4 square tupperware container. I'm going to Walmart today to pick up a bigger container anyways for him so that will be perfect to get nightcrawlers there as well. Now that you mention earthworms/nightcrawlers being superior to crickets that sounds amazing because I hate keeping crickets and nightcrawlers you just have to store in the fridge. I will try this later today with forceps and give an update, thanks.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Just make sure the water bowl isn't deep. They like to sit in the water touching the bottom.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Sublime

Alright.

Sublime

Alright so, I put him in his water dish and he sat in there for feeding time. Then after trying to use chop sticks to get the night crawlers out, I managed to get 3 adult size nightcrawlers. I put them in one at a time in his water dish while they were swimming underneath him and he went aggressive on them and tore them up. Then I put a fourth nightcrawler in and he kept trying to dive down with his mouth and was missing so I took it out and figured he was probably good. Then I got two crickets and put them in his water dish and at first they were climbing on top of him and going on his eyes so I had to swipe them back into the water. He ate those and I figured he would be good for the night. I don't know if he was still hungry, but I didn't want to stress him out a lot by keep reaching my hand into his waterdish or put my hand on top of him to get a cricket out. My dad thinks it's bad for him to eat that much for his size, but I was telling him these things eat like pigs. Would you guys say that was enough serving for each day ( I didn't do the 15 minute rule because those crickets were a hassle trying to get them in his water dish without them climbing on him and they would drown pretty quick so I had to either scoot them in his eyesight or scoop them out)? I love this little guy and how he's already extremely aggresive, it looked like shark week in his/her water bowl wrestling those nightcrawlers.

BG

get a plastic container about 8x8 and put the frog in there and put the dusted night crawler in there and if he wont eat it IL eat my Yankee hat lol only if the frog is healthy you should be watching a frog eating spaghetti

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    get a plastic container about 8x8 and put the frog in there and put the dusted night crawler in there and if he wont eat it IL eat my Yankee hat lol only if the frog is healthy you should be watching a frog eating spaghetti
    You should eat your Yankee hat regardless. Just saying, Evil Empire and all.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ha ha ha ! Funny!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

BG

I wont have to eat it my Yankee hat cause i know the pixie is going to be alright lol

Sublime

Haha alright

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by BG View Post
    I wont have to eat it my Yankee hat cause i know the pixie is going to be alright lol
    BG you don't have to eat your Yankee hat! My baby pixie is healthy, I just fed him 2 good size night crawlers last night in his water bowl (He still doesn't take them from the forceps so I just drop them in and he goes). Then I put like 5 adult size crickets in his terrarium and I noticed late at night he was trying to jump at the crickets while he was still in his water bowl. I felt bad for the poor guy so I scooped him up and took him out of his water bowl and he ate all of them. His perception right now is way off (Probably just because the new cage I put him in and he's still a baby); I really need to get him a new bowl that is level with the substrate and easier to access.

BG

Name:  1191820.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  25.2 KBName:  1191821.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  29.6 KBName:  007.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  164.7 KBName:  005.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  138.8 KBYup i was just there where you are a few months ago where i started with 3 baby pixies about and a half inch and and i lost one because i fed it tou much and it got cold and it blew up like a balloon and died so i was left with 2 and they are doing fine so start with wigglers and crickets and before you know it wala giant pixie enjoy

Sublime

Oh that sucks, sorry about that. Are both of your pixies males? I hope mine is a male, *fingers crossed*. Were yours easy to hold when they were that young? I have trouble with mine, every time I scoop him into or out of his water bowl he gets a little skiddish so I try to put him down as soon as I can. He/she was the smallest ones they had at LLLReptile when I went down there. I'll take a picture of him when I can get a better shot since he/she doesn't let me hold him. John recommended me to feed my pixie night crawlers so I'll just stick to those and crickets for now instead of red wigglers. He's in a 30x12x12 terrarium right now, I really need to get him some structure and a big water bowl.

Here I just took some photos of him basking:

Name:  IMG_0345.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  114.9 KBName:  IMG_0348.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  93.7 KBName:  IMG_0354.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  133.2 KBName:  IMG_0357.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  102.0 KBName:  tumblr_l9qo7mrZbZ1qzzud0.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  12.2 KB

BG

HIS BOWL IS TO HIGH SO TRY TO GET SOMETHING LOWER OR DIG IT IN THE COCO FIBER NICE LOOKING PIXIE I THINK ITS A MALE LIKE I SAID ITS NOT THAT LONG AGO THAT MINE WERE THAT SMALL OH YEA ONCE I PUT SOME WEIGHT ON THEM THEY JUST BECAME EATING MACHINES

Sublime

Yeah I know, today I scooped out all the coco fiber under the bowl to make it a little easier for him to access. The fourth picture you'll notice I packed more coco fiber around the sides so he can slip right in. Tomorrow I'm going to get him a big bowl and less height. Dude he's pretty beast at eating for his size, If I threw a porterhouse steak in there he would probably down it. I know man, I can't wait till he's bigger.

BG

so your a home run he's good to go actually he's a little bigger than what i thought

Sublime

Yeah, thanks. Do you think I should try to feed him the crickets in a soup bowl instead of them walking around in there? Seems more practical. I'm currently gutloading them with cat chow, apples, and some flukers orange cubes that are complete **** and don't work. I don't have any of that powder supplement on me. Btw the question that I asked you earlier, were you able to hold your pixies at the same size mine is at or were they skiddish too?

BG

when they were younger the were very skittish and unhandily as they grew older they slowed down i guess that makes sense when they are young they are very jumpy so they can escape from predators and as they get larger they are the predator SO i just didn't bother with them so i wouldn't stress them and i ran into a another problem they were so jumpy that they hit there head on lid of tank and cutting them selfs so i had to change there living courters

Sublime

Oh ok, yeah that makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information