Thread: Making my own tank

Voltage

Default Making my own tank

In a few weeks I was either thinking buying a 20H and vert it or make my own tank (Was thinking a 18x18x24, like an exo or zoo med. But I have a few questions. Since this isn't ever going to be an aquarium, does the thickness matter that much? My local glass cutting shop only has 3/16 glass, but it's really cheap (I could make a 18x18x24 for around 25$) Would this have a high chance of breaking? I'm aiming for a 20H vertfor a few reasons. thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Making my own tank

3/16ths is a little thinner than I would advise but it could work. 1/4 is safer.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Ask if their window glass is safety coated and/or tempered. This can make all the difference.

The safest is the 1/4 as John stated. This can easily be purchased at furniture supply shops as it is used to make glass table tops. It does take some skill to cut glass, especially the thick stuff. I find it is cheaper and easier in the long run to pay to have it cut custom.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Voltage

Ok. At lowes they have 1/4 inch glass but they charge around 20-30$ per cut piece of glass, with I would probably be better off buying an exo or zoo med in the first place (expensive ) So I guess i'm doing a 20H vert

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Not to be a negative Nancy, but if you're building a tank just to save money, I suggest you re-think the idea. If you've never made a tank before it's unlikely to look as good (or be as sturdy) as a store-bought aquarium. Plus you have to pay for silicone. And for an 18x18x24 inch (45x45x60 cm) terrarium, I would not consider anything less than 1/4 inch thick glass. I'm looking at my 40 breeder in my living room right now and that's made out of 1/4 inch glass, and the volume of that aquarium is only about 1.5 times that of an 18x18x24 exo.

If you're worried about the cost of the Exo, visit a reptile show. They are usually cheaper there than at the store.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

John tells it true! My suggestion would be to start small and practice. Play around with acrylic or lexan. Build some 5 gallon hospital tanks out of the stuff. (They make great holding tanks during cleaning and photographing too!)

I've built over 100 different types of enclosure over the years and I long ago gave up working with glass. In fact, I don't even bother with wood or plastic anymore either. Lots of expensive failures have taught me that it is much cheaper to recycle used aquariums off of craigslist and garage sales.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Voltage

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was thinking,
    John.
    It wouldn't be as attractive or sturdy, and cost the same, if not more. I was a fully set up 18x18x24 at my show (plants, background, etc) for 160$. Also they had a 12x12x18 zoomed for 125$ fully set up. I was thinking of getting one, if my budget allowed it. I wouldn't be worried about the cost of silicone, though. I know where to buy a 10 oz tube of aquarium silicone for 5 bucks.
    Johnny
    Arcylic is even more expensive. To make an 18x18x24 it would cost maybe 200-250$! I do think that if I were to ever want to make a custom tank or a large one acrylic is the way to go though.

While thicker is probably better, for what it's worth I have a 16x16x26" one under construction out of 3/16" glass (the glass has been assembled but not much progress on the interior). I've hauled it around from room to room and used it for various things in its current state (glass table, photo studio, small water pool) and it feels pretty darn sturdy. Having thrown away numerous windows with 3/16" glass and seeing just how much punishment it can stand before it breaks, I can't see this tank ever going wrong under normal use. Under pressure from water like an aquarium would be another story though. Just my opinion.

I've also made a smaller 12x12x20" vivarium out of 3/16" glass about a year ago and no problems.

My glass is free though, recycled from old slider windows. If I had to pay 25$+ to make one I'd probably head to craigslist or kijiji.

How thick is the glass on the 18x18x24" exo terra or zoomed anyways?

BG

Supplies are too expencive. I would look on craigslist ,and yard sales or even trash day. I found so many tanks, and filters. And afcaurs expos like John said . Pet stores are 300% markup on dry goods.

Thread Information