Thread: Monkey Treefrog - Eye diseases

butab

Default Monkey Treefrog - Eye diseases

Hi everyone, I just discovered my baby monkey tree frog's (3cm long) right eye is swalloned suddenly, and it is in red color looks like blood; and it may be the reason for him closed the other eye only when sleeping.

Initially thought that it might be a cricket bite / infection; and i would like to know if there's any medication to cure before seeing the vet.

Thanks a lot.

Name:  IMAG0278.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  35.5 KBName:  IMAG0279.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  33.3 KBName:  IMAG0280.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  36.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Monkey Treefrog - Eye diseases

You will need antibiotic eye medicine and the vet is the source of the correct medication. It's very similar to what's in neomycin that we use to treat human skin, but it has a different base material that is soft and not harsh on the eyes. I wouldn't try putting neomycin in a frog's eye, so take it to the vet.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

butab

Thanks for your reply John, I will take it to the vet asap. But do you know what kind of diseases is it? Is it possible for it to have a normal visual in the future?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Most of the time eye infections are bacterial in nature. I don't want to try to guess more than that.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

butab

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Most of the time eye infections are bacterial in nature. I don't want to try to guess more than that.
    My wax had been to the vet finally last week, the doc didn't mention anything about it's eye, but just give me a bottle of "Vetafarm" HydroPHIBIAN, and "Tarivid" ophthalmic solution which contain 3mg Ofloxacin. Honestly, I don't trust this vet too much. I would like to know is the Ophthalmic Solustion harmful to the frog? As there is a big word "TOXIC" at the back side of the bottle, and the vet ask me to drop 4times a day for it, if it becomes worst, then 2drops a day.

Thank you.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by butab View Post
    My wax had been to the vet finally last week, the doc didn't mention anything about it's eye, but just give me a bottle of "Vetafarm" HydroPHIBIAN, and "Tarivid" ophthalmic solution which contain 3mg Ofloxacin. Honestly, I don't trust this vet too much. I would like to know is the Ophthalmic Solustion harmful to the frog? As there is a big word "TOXIC" at the back side of the bottle, and the vet ask me to drop 4times a day for it, if it becomes worst, then 2drops a day.

Thank you.
    Hi butab, so sorry to hear that your little guy isn't doing well. If you don't trust the vet and are worried about the medicine he gave you I would try to get a second opinion from another vet or educated person (as you are doing now, of course.) I don't know anything about the solution you've mentioned but when my White's had an eye problem I gave him drops of Gentocin Opthalmic Solution (5ml) and was told you give one drop a day for a week, if the eye didn't get better by then I was instructed to bring him back for a checkup.

I would go with my gut instinct until someone tells you differently, I don't know much about frog medicine, but maybe one of the experts have worked with this medicine before and can tell you what to do with it and if it is safe or not. I wish you and your little waxy luck! Hope his eye gets better.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Thread Information