Thread: Feeding questions

Voltage

Red face Feeding questions

I just bought a FF culture. It's really booming with flies, but I have a few questions. Along with the FF culture I bought a turquoise auratus, and it's very small, and in a 20 long tank. I tried feeding it but it seems to just ignore them. Should I wait for the PDf to settle in or is something wrong? I read on something about keeping them in a sweater box and feeding there and keeping them there until they're larger. Is this true or necessary? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding questions

I would cover 3 sides of the tank and give him a chance to settle in before you move him out of his environment to feed, that will probably stress him out more. Good luck!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

4. This member thanks LilyPad for this post:

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

He may require at least 24 hours to settle. Some frogs will feed immediately, some not. Just make it feel secure like Amy has advised and it should be open to eating soon.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

6. This member thanks John for this post:

Voltage

Thanks guys. I gave him a few hours to eat and most of the FFs are gone and i've seen him attack a few. Sorry for originally posting this in general discussion, I had a bunch of windows open and clicked on the wrong one when making this.

Grrrit

How old is it?
    I honestly would keep it in a smaller enclosure to get some initial weight on the little guy. I'm sure he appreciates the space in a 20g, but tge amount of flies you would have to dump in there to make sure he gets enough to eat would be extreme. I had four cobalt tinctorius' in a ten gal grow out viv and it was too hard to keep weight on them, let alone gain weight. I ended up pairing them up and moving them into 128oz. Containers. In two weeks they grew more than the month that I had them in the ten gallon. Just my experience with little froglets. Auratus are awesome frogs, I hope he thrives!

Voltage

Quote Originally Posted by Grrrit View Post
    How old is it?
    I honestly would keep it in a smaller enclosure to get some initial weight on the little guy. I'm sure he appreciates the space in a 20g, but tge amount of flies you would have to dump in there to make sure he gets enough to eat would be extreme. I had four cobalt tinctorius' in a ten gal grow out viv and it was too hard to keep weight on them, let alone gain weight. I ended up pairing them up and moving them into 128oz. Containers. In two weeks they grew more than the month that I had them in the ten gallon. Just my experience with little froglets. Auratus are awesome frogs, I hope he thrives!
    Thanks Garrett. He's eating really well now, but another thing i'm concerned is he only eats maybe 5 FFs with calcium/vitamins on them then all the FFs go out through the tank and the powder falls off. He is about half a month out of water i'm guessing,

Thread Information