Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20 Gallon Vertical Build Journal

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 20 Gallon Vertical Build Journal

I really wanted to do another vertical after making the 15 gallon vert.
    I really want to grow in more of a canopy mid tank so we'll see how that goes since the main plant I have will take some time to grow in.

Here is info on the main plant.... besides the usualy Broms.
    " new species of Biophytum that is incredibly rare and hard to find! This unknown species from Ecuador gets 3-4 times larger than its better known cousin, Biophytum sensitivum. This exotic takes on the shape of a dwarf palm tree as it grows. Each divided leaf resembles a palm frond held gracefully from the central stem, ultimately reaching a diameter of 10"-12" across. New growth emerges a coppery pink color. Small pale-yellow flowers appear intermittently throughout the year. A real must-have for the collector and few plants will add more distinction to the terrarium. Available plants are approx. 3" across and are growing in 3" deep pots." Quoted from Black Jungle website

Links to info on s larger version of this:
    Read the Intro mainly: http://culturesheet.org/doku.php?id=oxalidaceae:biophytum:sensitivum

and pics of the different movements in the plant: Name:  biophytumzwei.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  78.0 KB Name:  biophytumschlaf.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  113.6 KB
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Voltage

Quote Originally Posted by DonLisk View Post
    I really wanted to do another vertical after making the 15 gallon vert.
    I really want to grow in more of a canopy mid tank so we'll see how that goes since the main plant I have will take some time to grow in.

Here is info on the main plant.... besides the usualy Broms.
    " new species of Biophytum that is incredibly rare and hard to find! This unknown species from Ecuador gets 3-4 times larger than its better known cousin, Biophytum sensitivum. This exotic takes on the shape of a dwarf palm tree as it grows. Each divided leaf resembles a palm frond held gracefully from the central stem, ultimately reaching a diameter of 10"-12" across. New growth emerges a coppery pink color. Small pale-yellow flowers appear intermittently throughout the year. A real must-have for the collector and few plants will add more distinction to the terrarium. Available plants are approx. 3" across and are growing in 3" deep pots." Quoted from Black Jungle website

Links to info on s larger version of this:
    Read the Intro mainly: http://culturesheet.org/doku.php?id=oxalidaceae:biophytum:sensitivum

and pics of the different movements in the plant: Name:  biophytumzwei.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  78.0 KB Name:  biophytumschlaf.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  113.6 KB
    Nice plants, but 2 of those? Won't they quickly outgrow if they're going to get 12 inches across? Also one other thing. Is this going to have a vent? I have made a screen for a 20 long as an experiment and need to mesure my 20 long but if it's 16" i'm set there.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Only one of the Biophytum Sp. is going in. The picture demonstrate the ability of the plant to change from open to a closed position at the touch of your hand or changes in lighting.

Yes, the vent will be the same as on my 15 Vertical Build at the top. It will also have the misting nozzles come in through the screen on the vent at the top front.
    Name:  donlisk-albums-15-gallon-vertical-picture13318-redone-screen-top-section-mist-king-nozzle-amazed.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  209.3 KB

5. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Voltage

Thanks, Don. That looks about the same size screen as mine in height, but if I had my tape measure I could see if it would fit a 20H. I was thinking of if I ever did a vert, run the mist nozzle through the screen vent instead of drilling a tank, but never saw anyone do it. The tank is coming along nice very well. Keep us updated. Are there any side shots?
    Here. this is my screen.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hey Voltage,
    The only thing I did do when running the nozzle through the screen is have the nut tighten down on the inside lip of the scren frame to make it secure. It should tighten down on the screen itself but my thought was that it would eventually pull the screen out of the groove over time.

I'll have more pics up tonight... going to fill in a few spots first.
    Funny, but the spots where the foam did shrink are where it was applied least.

bshmerlie

Someone asked earlier how to get GS out of the inside of pots because it is such a small tight space. I use needle nose pliers. Reach in grab a piece and twist off a chunk. It works well for getting into tight spaces.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Someone asked earlier how to get GS out of the inside of pots because it is such a small tight space. I use needle nose pliers. Reach in grab a piece and twist off a chunk. It works well for getting into tight spaces.
    That is definitely the easiest way.

Mike asked if I was using the Cork Rounds as hides and after much thought, I might go that way. The original plan was for the plants but I ca always cut in new planting holes near the cork and the leaves overhanging the cork will make some cool hides. Thanks for the idea Mike.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

STEP 3
    Touch up, adding glass, and installation of hydroballs and substrate.

For touch up on the background, I actually located all the spots I felt should have more substrate added, spots that needed to be sealed off to prevent access to behind the background, and where I felt the white foam on the view-able side would be unsightly.
    Many silicone the sides and complete back before putting the Great Stuff on which would hide the viewing of white foam from the outside. Me, I seem to bypass this step and don't know why.

I then applied more silicone to the areas I wanted to correct, covered with my Zilla Jungle Mix, and allowed to dry overnight.

Once dry, I brushed off any loose substrate and sprayed down the background to remove dust and anything the brush missed removing. A quick cleanup of the glass and bottom and I'm now ready for adding the front glass.

Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15439-background-touch-up-wet-down.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  102.8 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15440-side-view-background-touch-up-wet-down.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  86.5 KB

I had the glass cut to match the previous built 15 gallon vertical since these tank will sit side by side.

I silicone the inside front of the tank to prevent water from leaking out of what is normally the tanks top. A good thick bead applied about 3 inches up each inside side and along the inside front's bottom.

I put a very slight amount of silicone around the outside lip of the plastic I am going to set the glass into. I then place the bottom glass into place and run a thin bead of silicone around the glass when it meats the tank sides and bottom. I then smooth it into place with my finger to get a nice clean looking finish.
    Note that if you mess up here, just pull it away from the tank and allow it to dry completely It is so much easier to pull off the dry silicone then it is to clean up wet silicone. Once dry and then removed, just try installing again.

Once the bottom glass silicone is dry, I cut my hinge to fit and attach it to the bottom piece of glass.
    I then test fit the top piece which will be the door, and attach my magnetic tape to the glass.

Next I place the glass door into place and determine the location where the magnetic tape should be applied to the tank itself.
    I have found that you need to ensure the magnet tape is tested for polarity since if attached backwards, the magnets tape will repel and not grab the door and keep it closed.

Once the door is in place, I add the door handle with double stick tape. Note here that I did not have the handle I have ordered so I used a wall hook for the time being.

I now add in my hydroballs, screen material and then my substrate on top of the screen.
    Added a few accents such as Monkey Ladder and Monkey Pods, and I'm ready to plant once the last of the silicone fumes have cleared.

The results is shown in the pictures below. I will add in the top vent section above the door but its getting late :-)

Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15443-completed-minus-plants.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  88.5 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15442-completed-minus-plants.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  117.3 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15444-completed-minus-plants.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  80.0 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15445-completed-side-view-minus-plants.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  108.6 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15438-completed-minus-plants.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  96.5 KB

Enjoy and comments are always welcome.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Wow, been a day, beside the work above, I ran out and purchased an unfinished kitchen island and build that. Kinda wound up and still looking for more to do.... maybe I need to stop brewing coffee this late :-)

bshmerlie

Wow, been a day, beside the work above, I ran out and purchased an unfinished kitchen island and build that. Kinda wound up and still looking for more to do.... maybe I need to stop brewing coffee this late :-)
    Ok Don..it is official....you are crazy. ...lol.

This is a great learning thread Don. Just wanted to give one suggestion to anyone who's reading this. I mostly use Exo Terras for my builds. During the silicone process I run a bead of silicone around the bottom and three inches up the sides. This ensures you wont have any leaks after the build is finished. Some Exo Terras and Zoo Meds have been known to leak straight from the factory. It only takes a few seconds to do but could save you a world of frustration

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah, having it all done and finding out later you have a leak would be heartbreaking.
    So, you have a little smell of silicone in the tank, would you plant and light it anyway or wait about a week or two?

I usually wait but really want to get the plants in and the lights/nozzles going soon.

bshmerlie

Don't tell anyone but I only wait 2-3 days and then put my plants in. I always set up my tanks way ahead of time before I get my frogs so smell is not a factor by that time. None of my plants have ever died from silicone intoxication.

Voltage

Started my 20H thread if any one wants to see http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/par...n-journal.html by the way Don, very nice! I think Cheri has it right, as long as you have ventilation.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok, so the plants went in and now I need to chase down some double head nozzles... might have to call Mist King direct.

Vacation next week and will need to rearrange the tanks to have everything running off the Mist King .... Cheri you rock.

Voltage

I wish I had a mist king setup. Would save me so much trouble. You might wanna try Ebay or craigslist or a dbl head nozzle

bshmerlie

Vacation next week and will need to rearrange the tanks to have everything running off the Mist King .... Cheri you rock.
    Don you are THE tank building animal. Now do see why I upgraded your MistKing? You wont stop. Its Ok its called an addiction. I have it too.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bshmerlie View Post
    Don you are THE tank building animal. Now do see why I upgraded your MistKing? You wont stop. Its Ok its called an addiction. I have it too.
    Oh I know :-)
    Looks like a road trip to Black Jungle to grab some Monsoon nozzles until I can order and get the ones I really want.

bshmerlie

Oh I know :-)
    Looks like a road trip to Black Jungle to grab some Monsoon nozzles until I can order and get the ones I really want.
    I can send you one....what do you need?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Cheri, had to correct this since I checked my box of excess viv parts and wahoooo I had a nozzle so I'm god to go.
    I eventually want to change each tank over to a dual nozzle vise have two singles in each.

The new tank will have a single until I get is some from Marty at Mist King.
    I'll wait to order them though since I would hate to see them sit on my porch while I'm away on vacation.

Thanks for the offer though.
    Don

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Well, the vent is installed, glass is in place, misting system connected, and the plants went in yesterday.
    I am looking for one vine to finish this off but for now, here are the results.

Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15586-completed-minus-vine-i-am-looking.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  175.1 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15582-completed.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  138.3 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15581-completed.jpg
Views: 1285
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15583-bromeliad.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  146.6 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15584-bromeliad.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  100.3 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15585-bromeliad.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15588-completed-side-side-15-vert.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  186.7 KB Name:  donlisk-albums-20-vertical-build-picture15587-completed-side-side-15-vert.jpg
Views: 2851
Size:  149.2 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information