Thread: RIP Froggy the one eyed baby green tree frog

mommyof4froglovers

Default RIP Froggy the one eyed baby green tree frog

This morning the baby tree frog my friend brought over died. I know his tank was right and he was eating so he must have been sick or something already. My children have been promised new frogs but I have to sanitize everything and wait awhile before we can get another or maybe two to ensure that they wont catch what ever was wrong with him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: RIP Froggy the one eyed baby green tree frog

You've had him what, 2 days? It was nothing you did. I saw those pics you posted and he was not a healthy frog. At least you gave him the best care you could until he passed. It still doesn't make it any easier though!
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

mommyof4froglovers

Yeah we only had him two days. I was afraid of this with him already deformed. But I figured since I had a place to put him it would be ok and if he lived it would be nice. I told the kids that we gave him a great home, better than the petstore could, and he was happy till he died. We are going to clean everything and get new dirt and after I am sure I wont bring in other frogs to just get sick we will get them another one, but this one will have two eyes and hopefully be healthy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

By the way his legs looked, I doubt he got the proper nutrition that he needed. Good luck on your next adventure though! I'm sure you will have a much loved healthy frog then
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

mommyof4froglovers

I hope so. We have a healthy whites tree frog and had already planned on getting him a friend, now we will be buying another green tree frog that will hopefully be healthy and live a long time also. We have learned so much about frogs on this site. My 5 year old could probably write a book on whites tree frogs. And I hope to teach them about green tree frogs too, now that we had one. Thank you everyone.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Very sorry for your loss. But you're absolutely right, he was probably unhealthy when you got him. You took great care of him until the end. If he seemed content with you, he must've been happy right up until he died.

I do again want to thank you though for taking in a frog that was in need of a good home, sick or deformed or whatever. It takes a lot of a person to do something good like that, and I give you big props.

As for sanitizing the tank, a bunch of warm water and cupful of bleach should do well. Also, you can use frog-safe antibacterial cleanser, I use Zoo Med's Wipe Out! to clean my tanks.

I wish you better luck in your other frog endeavors!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

mommyof4froglovers

Thanks. I ussually use vineager but I am scared it wont kill everything so I am glad you said bleach would be ok, but I think we will wait 3 days instead of two to repopulate that tank just to be safe and know all the bleach is out.

I dont think I am special. I just have a hard time saying no to anything in need. I hope he was happy. I know he ate maybe he was content. But he will be missed even with new froggy's around the corner.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yeah you can use bleach, just use a very small amount diluted in water and then rinse it out really well after it. Let it sit out so all the fumes dissipate before you put in new frogs.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

mommyof4froglovers

Thanks.

Thread Information