Thread: What do you feed red eyed frog tadpoles?

Jori

Default What do you feed red eyed frog tadpoles?

I don't have any red eyed frogs as pets, but I have become obsessed with these frogs. Every night at dusk I rush out when I hear the males sing and start taking photos. The females have been laying their eggs on the bougainvillae leaves that arc over my swimming pool. I don't want them to hatch in the pool, so I tear the leaves down and fasten them to the trees that hang over the stream in my yard. I also wanted to witness the development of these frogs, so I taped some of the leaves with the egg clusters to the inside of the 5 gallon aquarium and they hang over the water below. I have quite a few tadpoles ranging in large to new born in the aquarium. I haven't found any dead ones in there and the oldest and biggest tadpoles are now close to 8 weeks old. I've had only 3 so far that have reached maturity, and they spend a day or two in the aquarium before they crawl out and move on. I have several with hind legs, and once they get their front legs, they seem to leave the water shortly after that. I have been feeding them fish food that you would give aquarium fish. The water in the aquarium is from the spring fed stream where other species of tadpoles live, (cane toads and smokey jungle frogs) and I also included some mossy rocks from the stream and some water plants. The tadpoles seem to enjoy the food, and they are hatching from the eggs, getting bigger, and starting to develop, but I need to know if what I'm feeding them is harmful. If so, I will let them go in the river on the property. I've learned a lot about these frogs from just spending hours observing them. I have photos of one doing something I have never seen a frog do before, and I think I've figured out what she was doing, but it was strange. Like I said I have become obsessed with them and sometimes don't come in until 2am because I get so caught up in their activities. I don't want to cause them harm though, and if keeping them until they are frogs is harmful I will let the tadpoles go and just observe the adults. Thank you for any assistance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: What do you feed red eyed frog tadpoles?

I really don't know a lot about frogs, but I do know that freeze-dried blood worms would make good feed as well!

bshmerlie

Welcome to the forum Jori. Which country are you from? Please post it in your user profile. The fish flake is fine and if you can get tadpole bites.

Jori

I'll have to go back and edit my profile. I'm an American, but I live in Costa Rica. I looked over some of the things people are feeding these various frogs, but the problem is that I have no access to any of them. I asked at my vet clinic, and they just sell fish food and iguana food, but nothing for any frogs. I guess I will keep them for the time being. I have one that left the water yesterday and still had a really long tail. Today he is more green and has a shorter tail. He'll probably leave the aquarium either tonight or tomorrow morning. Then he can eat what he wants. Thanks Cheri and Poly for your help. I feel better knowing that I'm not hurting them feeding them fish flakes.

Thread Information