Thread: Size & Age

demeteraurion

Default Size & Age

Does anyone have or could make a set of pictures that show how a pacman looks at what age. I know my frog is at least 5 or 6 months old but he is very small and doesn't eat at all. He also doesn't burrow. My eco earth is slightly moist and its a little wetter by the water dish. I've seen some people whose frogs stay in eco earth that looks super dry. Rupert just sits on top of the dirt, he quit burrowing quite some time ago.

But on to why I posted this, I'd really appreciate some help. Here are some pictures of him recently. Last time he at was about 3 or 4 weeks ago, he has went to the bathroom too. Remember he is at least 5 or 6 months old. Sorry the quality is bad, its hard to get a good picture because of the lighting.
    Name:  rup1.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  56.8 KBName:  rup2.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  36.7 KBName:  rup3.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  76.0 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Size & Age

Your frog is not well. These frogs eat every 2 days or so if they are feeling well and kept appropriately. IF it hasn't eaten in weeks it's likely on death's door at this point. In Pacman frogs, the most common cause of death is not keeping them at the appropriate temperature and humidity. This leads to lack of appetite and they fade away. I doubt there's much you can do for yours at this point but a trip to the vet is certainly in order. You also need to make sure you have the correct conditions for your frog, otherwise it won't get better either.

As for age, it's impossible to judge the age of these frogs accurately. Their growth rate is highly dependent on how warm they're kept and how often they're fed. The kind of food also has a bearing. If they are not fed well when young, their growth rate can be severely retarded, effectively stunting them. If yours recovers, it's likely in this situation.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

demeteraurion

His conditions are correct, he has 80 humidity, 80 to 84 degree during day and 75 at night. I am prepared for him to die, but I hope it won't come to that. I'm beginning to think its not my fault, and its something Petco (where I got him) did. Because they had him for months before I even got him and he never seemed to grow when I would come in occasionally to see him. There are no vets that work on amphibians anywhere near me so that isn't an option. If he does pass I would like to get another frog but Petco is the only store that ever has any and there are never reptile expos here. Thanks

Nationality
    [United States]

I read the thread and I'm sorry to hear about this. I always kept Grif's temp and humidity correct too. Even now that he isn't eating on his own. I really hope that both Grif and Rupert recover from this. Maybe you could buy a reptile and amphibian first aid supplement. It may help keep him strong you'll have to feed him with the seringe supplied in the box. You'll need to weigh him to figure out how much of the powder to mix with water. Maybe he is lacking a vitamine he needs and the first aid for malnurished and dehydrated reptiles and amphibians will give him just what he needs. I think it is atleast worth a try. Grif is still active and moves around burrows and everything. Did Rupert burrow when you used to see him at petco? You may be able to aquire the first aid supplement at petco. I use it for Grif plus I have a soft canned cat/dog food that can be sucked into a seringe you can feed him as a solid food source its called (Royal Canin veterinarian diet) which Grif seems to like. It may not cost you much to get and it shouldn't hurt Rupert so atleast hell be getting vitamines and nurishment. He may just come out of it.

demeteraurion

I have some powder called ReptiVite, I mixed it with water and fed it to him with an eye dropper one time while he was eating a worm. I tried to feed him some dubias today too, put him in a little dish with them and put the dish in his tank so he will feel safe but he didn't eat them. I then tried to open his mouth with a card but it won't budge! I know its stressful to them but if I could get something in his mouth he would eat it Sorry to hear Grif hasn't ate yet either, this is so weird.

Rupert burrowed like normal when I first got him and for a bit after that and then it stopped. I'm about to clean his tank so I'll leave him in a box with some food while I clean it. Maybe he will decide to burrow in the new soil. He did burrow at Petco too, although they had his soil pretty dry, I still don't know how wet it needs to be. I'm beginning to think its a bacterial problem, not sure about red leg though as his legs don't look very abnormal and he hasn't been flipping over much either.

How do you manage to get Grif to open his mouth lol?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by demeteraurion View Post
    I have some powder called ReptiVite, I mixed it with water and fed it to him with an eye dropper one time while he was eating a worm. I tried to feed him some dubias today too, put him in a little dish with them and put the dish in his tank so he will feel safe but he didn't eat them. I then tried to open his mouth with a card but it won't budge! I know its stressful to them but if I could get something in his mouth he would eat it Sorry to hear Grif hasn't ate yet either, this is so weird.

Rupert burrowed like normal when I first got him and for a bit after that and then it stopped. I'm about to clean his tank so I'll leave him in a box with some food while I clean it. Maybe he will decide to burrow in the new soil. He did burrow at Petco too, although they had his soil pretty dry, I still don't know how wet it needs to be. I'm beginning to think its a bacterial problem, not sure about red leg though as his legs don't look very abnormal and he hasn't been flipping over much either.

I sent you a private msg.

Nationality
    [United States]

So here's what you do. Use one of the small shopper cards. You know like the little keyring versions of Kroger cards or something similar. Place the corner of the card between Ruperts jaws about halfway between the corner of his mouth and front of his mouth. Gently push down and lift up while also holding the card somewhat at an upward angle because of the way his jaws come together kind of an overbite that seals. He may try to whipe it away or hop away but you need a second person to kind of make him feel secure and to help so he doesn't get away or hurt himself. My fiance and I find that when one of us places their hand over Grif's back making a cave for him makes him less stressed also it keeps him from backing away. So you should probably enlist you boy friends help for sure. Also be careful to not put the seringe or eye dropper too far ion his mouth so tou don't choke him or if he decides to jump that it doesn't harm him by being forced into his throat. It is some what difficult because if he has been getting plenty of calcium then Ruperts jaws will be strong just like Grif's are. Sometimes he gets grumpy and bites down on the seringe but most of the time he is well behaved. You'll want him to be on something lowe to the ground also . That way there are no high falls that could injure or kill him. Set him on moist paper towels also. I hope this helps. Anything else you need just ask.

BG

I had the same problem so i had to force feed the frog and it worked the frog came back i also have liquid calcium and liquid vitamin and i put it in asuringe and feed it to the frogs or reptiles and warmth and that sould bring them back good luck

demeteraurion

Thanks for the advice. My boyfriend had been force feeding him worms during his lamisil treatment but we stopped because I thought he would start eating again. After I cleaned his tank he found a little spot to sit, though he isn't burrowed. It turns out some cricket thought it would be funny to lay its eggs in there so good thing I decided to clean it today. I will try to feed him tonight. I'll use a nightcrawler so I can easily put the syringe in his mouth, since it takes him a while to eat it all. I'm feeling better about Rupert's future now

demeteraurion

Well I feed Rupert a worm last night. We got his mouth open with the technique, thanks. It didn't go very smoothly though, I hope next time it will be better. He also had a lot of trouble eating the worm and I cut it in half. I think today I will try a dubia roach since it will be easier to eat. He does look fatter now and he made a "little" burrow type thing by the heat mat.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Good luck.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Well I feed Rupert a worm last night. We got his mouth open with the technique, thanks. It didn't go very smoothly though, I hope next time it will be better. He also had a lot of trouble eating the worm and I cut it in half. I think today I will try a dubia roach since it will be easier to eat. He does look fatter now and he made a "little" burrow type thing by the heat mat.

Be careful when you feed him. It may be easier to feed him with a liquid or soft food. He may be weak from not eating and he wouldn't have trouble with a non solid food. He probably looks fatter due to him obsorbing water from his substrate which Grif also does. As you feed him he will start to gain weight but very very slowly since it takes cold blooded animals a very long time to fully recover. Grif spits out any crickets or meal worms I try to force feed him so until he gets a lot better I m going to stick to the vitamins and soft food. Good luck.

Thread Information