Thread: Parasites in WTF

jessica2n2

Default Parasites in WTF

Well I just made the appointment with the vet for my 2 White's. Does anybody have any experience with this? I brought them home 2 or 3 (max) months ago from an expo (bought from a breeder) and the past few time's I've cleaned the water dish, I've noticed multiple little white worms swimming around (they often defecate in their water dish).. Since one has it, I will treat them both for it, but in the meantime, should I seperate them? Or do anything specific? I suppose I could always wait and see what the vet says, but it would be nice just to have a bit of a heads up (I have no problems spending the money to get them better). Poor little guys Gah!

Any tips in the meantime would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

jessica2n2

Default Re: Parasites in WTF

(I don't mean to imply that they had already had the parasite coming home from the expo, just that I'm new to housing them and haven't really 'noticed' anything wierd in beaviour, as in they are now how they were then).

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would think since they have been sharing the same enclosure, I would be treating both.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Definitely treat both. You should keep them in a temporary container for the course of the treatment (usually 2-3 weeks). Get rid of everything in the old enclosure. Sterilize its furniture if necessary. By the way, just because there are worms in the terrarium does not mean they came from the frogs. They may be present in the soil. However, treating them is the best way to be safe. Of course you need a vet's input on the treatment and prescriptions.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

jessica2n2

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Definitely treat both. You should keep them in a temporary container for the course of the treatment (usually 2-3 weeks). Get rid of everything in the old enclosure. Sterilize its furniture if necessary. By the way, just because there are worms in the terrarium does not mean they came from the frogs. They may be present in the soil. However, treating them is the best way to be safe. Of course you need a vet's input on the treatment and prescriptions.

They are both definitely getting treated. It's good to know about the sooil, I didn't even think of that. Though I use brick-form cocofiber, would that still be an issue? And my last question; they do have a live plant in there, would it be best to get rid of the plant all together or would rinsing it be good enough? Thanks

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Dump the substrate, no matter what it is. As for the plant, if you can remove all of its soil and dunk the whole think in 5% bleach solution it should be fine. Just be sure to not leave it in there - a dunk for a few seconds, then rinse with water, should be fine, then re-pot it.

jessica2n2

Oh it will all be dumped, and everything sterilized, absolutely. Alright, I will do that with the plant then
    I just didn't think the substrate would be the source of them (brick form coco-fiber). Oh well. Main thing is that they're going to be taken care of. Thanks again John!!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

It's so much a source as a stopping off point. For example, the frog defecates some parasite eggs, these stay in the substrate, and stick to a cricket you put in for food, the frog eats them and gets the eggs in its gut again.

Thread Information