Thread: Best way to keep pacmans?

SiNi5T3R

Default Best way to keep pacmans?

Right now, iv got my pacman in one of those seethrough Bin Containers with the blue snap on lids, have holes in the lid for air circulation.

For bedding I am using that exo terra Coco Husk stuff all wet down and soaked in water with 2 - 3 mistings a day with a Light on the side of the bin. Im going to put some plastic rap inside the top in the middle later on i think to get the humidity up a lil bit as im having trouble keeping humidity.

Any suggestions?

Iv seen some pictures where people have lots of frogs and just have them in the little containers with a pad for them to sit on and then the rest is just water. is that healthy for pacman frogs?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

BG

Default Re: Best way to keep pacmans?

Thats a technique over in Asia thats how they keep them i don't know if thats a long term housing or not

Kevin1

I have one suggestion, instead of coco husk switch to coco fiber. The coco husk has some large particles that if eaten could cause impaction. Other than that it sounds great.

SiNi5T3R

do you suggest feeding in a different container if i keep using the husk? or will that upset my frog at all?

Kevin1

I wouldn't suggest a different container but if you would rather use coconut husk try feeding off a dish. Less stressful than moving them for feeding.

SiNi5T3R

lol how do you feed crickets on a dish? pull off all there legs accept like 2 so its moving still? lol

ill switch to the fibers once this small block of husk is gone. I dont want it to go to waist since im not the richest person in the naborhood hahaha

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Personally I think the "best" way to keep a Pacman Frog is in a 10g tank with an under tank heater stickied on the side of the tank, 2-3" of cocofiber, a water dish, and a screen lid (depending on how much trouble is had keeping up the humidity).

I realize that not everyone can afford a larger setup, but Malcolm moves around alot when he is hungry, and I find it easier to keep the temps down with a screen lid rather than a plastic one with holes drilled. Just my opinion on the matter.

SiNi5T3R

Iv got ten gal tanks but I read big environments for small reptiles can hard core stress them out. Are pacmans more ok with this or is it the same? He is still a baby. He is eating crickets like a beast tho right now. What about the muddy type of soils iv been seeing alot in pictures? Is that good? I really want to get the basic structure of housing and bedding down before I get albinos and the more expensive morphs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, if it is a baby, then it is probably best to leave it in the container for now, assuming the container is capable of meeting the Pacman Frog's needs (humidity, temp, etc.). Larger juvies and young adults are fine with larger tanks such as a 10g tank. I personally think this is the best size, but others will say 20g Long, and others will say itsy-bitsy. I am just speaking from much research and personally watching my Pacman interact with his environment.

Young Pacman Frogs are very good about eating. Many of them will eat every day if you offer it. Malcolm grew out of that phase at about a month old, though. *sigh*

Muddy is good, just as long as they wont drown themselves if they burrow abit. You don't want standing water under the surface of the substrate. Moist cocofiber is a great way to keep the heat up, and it closely emitates their nature environment, near swamps and riverbanks in South America.

jessica2n2

Yes, definitely the coco fiber over the husk. Give him/her a few a good few inches of substrate though, as they love to burrow.

Gah! I barely ever see mine eat at all. The cricket supply just sorta goes down over a 2-3day span haha. That's the only time I really see him actually, as soon as the cricket gets put in, you look a few seconds later to find eyes poking out of the substrate ^.^ It's always a shock actually, occasionally he'll be in the water dish and he's just.. bigger haha.

Nationality
    [United States]

I think tubs or racks from walmart are the best way to go provide alot of humidity for them my 3 pacs are in tubs and the big female is in a ten galwith eco earth and waterdish
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Nationality
    [Ireland]

These frogs like cover, so while keeping them on a pad is easy, it has to stress the frog over time. I would definitely use a real substrate.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information