Thread: Questions about Pacman Frogs and housing

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Questions about Pacman Frogs and housing

Hi All,
    After reading many posts on these frogs, I decided since I really did not have the answers to many of the questions, I should spend some time reading about them and learning what people use to create a desirable habitat for them.

I was amazed to find such different kits and had some questions, since from what I read in care sheets, the kits are somewhat not what one would want to house them correctly.

Here is one kit for example:
    Pac-Man Frog Habitat comes complete with:

• 1 Zoo-Med 12x12x18 Naturalistic Terrarium Tank
    • 1 12x18 Realistic Background with Plants
    • 1 Zoo-Med Microclean 304 Internal Mini Pump/Filter Combo
    • 1 2.5 Pound Bag of Zoo-Med's Hydro Balls Substrate
    • 1 8 Quart Bag of Zoo-Med's Eco-Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate
    • 3 Fluker Farm's 5.5" Ceramic Dome Light Fixtures
    • 1 Fluker Farm's 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Bulb
    • 1 150W Zoo-Med Basking Lamp Bulb
    • 1 50W Zoo-Med Infrared Night-Time Lamp Bulb
    • 1 T-Rex Thermometer Gauge
    • 1 T-Rex Humidity Gauge

So, I get three dome lights? Am I to put these on a mobile and spin it to select the correct lighting over the day? This kit also provides items for creating a waterfeature. I don't see why I would choose this setup at 229 USD when the following setup is less expensive and gives the frog so much more space and selection of accessories provided for 20 bucks less.

• Exo Terra Terrarium PT2605 18x18x18
    • Exo Terra Light Fixture
    • Repti-Glo 2.0
    • Repti-Glo 5.0
    • Zilla Frog Moss
    • Medium Water Bowl
    • Medium Rainforest Heatwave Under Tank Heater
    • Assorted plastic Plants
    • Plantation Soil
    • Hygrometer
    • Thermometer
    • Multi-Vitamin
    • Calcium D3
    • Exo Terra Vine

Note that the above setup has no water feature but a bowl for water.

I guess my question is to all the Pacman owners here on the forum.... if you were building a new habitat for a new pacman frog, what would you buy/use and why?

Thanks,
    Don

1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demeteraurion

Default Re: Questions about Pacman Frogs and housing

I agree, some of those "starter" kits are just ridiculous. Such as for hermit crabs, they give you hardly any sand and a bunch of junk, a tiny little heating pad, and its supposed to be sufficient. And all of the frog kits at my pet store include "frog moss".
    If I were creating a Pacman starter kit it would include:
    10 Gallon tank with lid
    Eco earth
    Small dome lamp
    25w blue bulb
    Small heat pad
    Humidity and temp gauge
    Calcium or multivite
    2 plants
    Water dish
    Mister
    Tap water conditioner

I think that is the "basics" although some people might choose different lighting/heating. You could also use a large plastic bin instead of a tank.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks Demeter.
    Do these little guy like to soak in the water dish?
    Do you think there is much of a difference between the Eco Earth and Plantation Soil? I always liked the plantation soil and it feels pretty similar to the Eco Earth.

demeteraurion

I think the water dish helps when they are shedding and I've read that many frogs like to go potty in the water bowl although mine never has. I do like to soak my frog in a dish of warm water every few days though. I have never used the plantation soil but it looks just like eco earth. I don't think it is available at my pet store.

Nationality
    [United States]

I do not agree with most kits for anything. It is quite often people throwing in afew relevant things, but making you buy a whole bunch of stuff you don't need, and then you still have to collect things that you didn't get from the kit.

I agree with everything Demeteraurion said. Personally I would add a Thermometer and Hygrometer to moniter the daily humidity and occasionally the temp. Just afew safety notes on the plants and lighting (just in case).

Plants are great to have in the tank. They can help increase the humidity and keep it stable. You have to be very careful about the type of plants you stock in your Pacman Frog tank, however, because Pacman Frogs will absorb any "sap" they come in contact with. Maybe types are extremely harmful to be absorbed, and may harm or kill your Pacman Frog. The other thing is that since Pacman Frogs burrow alot, you need to make sure that your Pacman Frog can't get tangled in the roots. Other than that, plants are great! I've have thought about getting Malcolm some, especially after I setup my Dart Frog vivarium.

As far as lighting goes, I am certainly not an expert. I briefly looked into it, but I decided not to. Lighting can be great for display, or day-cycles in dark rooms, but you need the correct type. Pacman Frogs don't move around alot, so if they stop under the wrong kind of light, it can dry them out. That is not good. I believe that Demeteraurion knows quite abit about lighting, though, so I seriously doubt you would have to worry about that. That type of lighting sounds fine to me.

As far as soaking, I don't know if Pacman Frogs *need* to soak, I have heard both ways, but I definately think that it is very important for them to have a water bowl that they can soak in. They don't swim, so you need to make sure the water bowl won't cover their mouth, or they could drown. Malcolm sits in his water dish all the time. Sometimes he climbs in by himself, but it is usually me placing him in. After feedings I often put him in his water dish and he will sit there for days until he gets hungry again and then he'll climb out and I will feed him. He also occasionally "does his dirty work" in there. I always clean out his bowl when I take him out, reguardless of how clean it looks.

I hope that helps. Don, I couldn't tell from the first post, but are you looking at getting a Pacman Frog?

Nationality
    [United States]

Mine loves his water dish. He has had several bouts with impaction, so I sit him in the water dish with the light on to warm the water up to prevent that from happening. It's a lot less stressful than taking him out and putting him in a different container for that. Also, I've noticed him using it to regulate his own humidity. On occasions when the humidity in his tank drops a bit too low, he'll hop into the water dish to sit. IMO the water bowl is really important.

I've seen so many different opinions on lighting that I've basically come to the conclusion that, unless you're worried about harming an albino's skin or eyes, anything that meets the heat requirement and doesn't scorch your frog is good. There are a lot of people who know more about lighting than me, but it seems like they all have different ideas about what's correct!

A lot of care sheets or starter kits recommend 10 gallon aquariums, which would be great for an adult, but I feel like that much space could be overwhelming for a small frog. If the frog was a baby, I'd suggest a 5 gallon. They don't really move that much anyway..

Has anyone else seen the start-up kits that call for hides? I used to have something in my tank for my pac to hide under, but he never used it, and I've seen a lot of really good enclosures without hides. Does anyone have a frog that actually goes into a hide?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Thanks do much for all the great info. I'm not looking for one MeTree, just want to learn more about them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah, I agree. I like to see small Pacman Frogs in a smaller container. That seems to be the popular assessment going around, and from a little bit of personal experience I also agree.

The hides just depend on the frog. I have heard stories of Pacman Frogs living in a hide most of their life, and then I have heard stories of Pacman Frogs never stepping foot in their hides, ever. Malcolm is more like the second. He doesn't have a "proper" hide. He used to go to the corner where there were lots of fake leaves, but now he just sits anywhere. I think a hide should be provided at first, and if they don't use it then it just sits in the tank and looks cool.

Don, I kind of gathered that you were just researching to get a better understanding, but honestly I was kind of hoping you were considering getting a Pacman Frog. They really aren't all that expensive, especially compared to Darts and tree frogs. They are pretty low maintanence also. I'm not going to nag you about it, though. Just a thought.

demeteraurion

My frog doesn't seem to like hides either. I've put a hide over him before and he just hopped out of it. I would like to get one of those log hides though, but crickets would probably just use it to get away from him.

In regards to lighting, I try to recreate a "canopy" effect by layering a vine/plant under the lamp so only parts of sunlight actually reach the bottom but it still provides heat.

Thread Information