Default my pomona fair pacman!

Name:  DSCF2774.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  95.3 KBName:  DSCF2771.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  121.2 KBName:  DSCF2772.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  114.6 KB

after years of debating i finally bought my first frog. i was torn between a pixie and this lovely frog but the woman(gf) made the final call. i got everything from LLL and thanks to a member here that menctioned the coupon i got everything for 10% off!!!

i do have a few questions though.
    1. the temp hovers at 75 night and day and the humi is currently 60. i think those are correct
    2 substrate. on the way to home depot and was wondering what brand of soil is safe. i was looking for coco substrate but didnt see any on their website. any suggestions?
    3. plants. i was thinking of adding some tillandsia plants to the foam insert just for looks, but i am open to any suggestions anyone here might have.

i got some meal works and crickets for the little one but he hasnt eaten yet. im not worried so ill give him a few more days to adjust.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demeteraurion

Default Re: my pomona fair pacman!

What is the day time temp? I'd raise it to at least 80, 75 for night time is fine. I also was wondering what soil is good, I couldn't find any at Lowe's that didn't have fertilizer in it. Also, the humidity should probably be a tad higher, 75-80. Nice little frog, hope he eats well for you!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What a cute little guy!! I don't know a lot about pacs, but definitely get eco earth. I got some of mine from my local petsmart and some online. The moss that is in there can get chomped up and cause impaction on your new baby. I think adding plants to the foam insert is a great idea. He will probably just dig them up if they are in the ground.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

jessica2n2

Coconut fiber works fantastic, you should be able to pick it up at a local petstore. They usually keep themselves burrowed most of the time, so make sure there's a few inches for them to hide in. I know I rarely ever see my guy. When I put crickets, you'll see eyes pop out of the substrate out of no where, and occasionally sits in the water bowl. Thats about it haha. They don't really have a use for plants, so its pretty well free range on what you like. I like big leafy things personally. You can even pick up some good fake ones from any place that sells aquariums/fish.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

You've gotten some very solid advice here. Pacman frogs are sensitive to the wrong temperatures. That's one thing about Pixies that I like - they are tough as nails and can stand a much wider range of temperatures. They're also more active and interactive (in my opinion). Still, that's quite a stunning frog you have there!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Jcal

Thanks everyone. I think i will skip the plants. I got eco earth and the humidity is closer to 75-80. I have a uth but im not using it bc i keep finding conflicting info about temps. So a consistant 75 isnt good? It must be 80?

Nationality
    [United States]

75*F is Ok at night, but really they would prefer 80-85*F during the day. Being coldblooded it helps them with their metabolism, so that they can move around a little. It also is very important to have the temps over 78 at minimum before you try to feed it. Without the higher temperatures, they can't properly metabolize their food, and that can lead to health problems later on.

Also, if you haven't already installed the UTH, wait. Pacman Frogs instictively burrow when they get too warm. They burrow to cool themselves. It is important for Pacman Frogs to have the UTH mounted on the side of the tank. 1) because you don't want to mess with their insticts (they don't understand when it doesn't work like they want it) 2) Your Pacman Frog could burrow down, and if unprotected, could burrow right over the heater. Unfortunately, many Pacman Frogs are burned like this.

If you already have it mounted under the tank, don't try to remove it and put it on the side. UTH have very weak wiring that if broken could cause electrical issues and fry your tank. That isn't good. If you have a heater mounted under the tank right now, unplug it. You can try to find some kind of barrier to go over it at least 1/2" over the heater so your frog is less likely to get burned. That still isn't ideal, so I would be saving up for another heater while this method is in place. Also, make sure there is absolutely NO standing water at the bottom of the tank, even if there is substrate there, because if the hot glass gets wet, it will bend, crack, break up, and could fail.

Glad to hear you got some cocofiber. You have a very cute Pacman Frog.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

They don't need the heat to move - that's a lizard/reptile issue, not an amphibian one.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    They don't need the heat to move - that's a lizard/reptile issue, not an amphibian one.
    Oh, that is odd. The is conflicting with some information I read awhile back on the internet, but I certainly believe you over a random article, John! But there is no question they need proper temperatures to metabolize their food, though, right? I have read that from a great many sources.

Jcal

got it guys. thanks again.
    i will side mount the heater and see how it goes temp wise. metree, you said exactly what i wanted to hear about the burrowing.

this is what i found at joshsfrogs
    "Many people recommend keeping a water bowl in with the Pac-Man frog. I have kept Pac-Mans with and without water bowls. As long as you keep the substrate moist, a water bowl isn’t a necessity.It is widely circulated that Pac-Man frogs need temperatures in the 75 to 85 degree Fahrenheit range. While this is true of their natural environment, Pac-Man frogs spend the majority of their time buried in the cool ground. In captive environments the substrate doesn’t provide the same protection due to lack of depth and the ability for air to move under the tank. Therefore, normal room temperatures of 65 to 85 degrees are recommended."

reguardless i will get the temp to 80ish and i still believe in a water bowl.

Eel Noob

Nice lookin albino.

bmpower007

Congrats on the pickup, I to was at the pomona expo and ended up picking up a pixie frog from LLL. Kinda regret not geting some pacmans..lol

Thread Information