Thread: Terrarium light hood good or bad?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Terrarium light hood good or bad?

I went out and purchased a Zoo Med terrarium hood for my 10 gallon tank. I moved Grif back into the ten gallon long tank last night and wanted to get a full spectrum UVA/UVB bulb for him to see if it stimulates his apetite. I also got at repti glo 5.0 tropical light too. Now my question is, is itbad to not have a temp gradiant inside the terrarium by having a hood that is the length of the tank and the light being almost as long as the tank? It seems that the fluorescent repti glo 2.0 and 5.0 take a long time to reheat the tank also. What should I do?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Terrarium light hood good or bad?

I would test it out before I added my pet. Get it all set up with everything but the frog. Place a few thermometers around the tank, then spend a few hours(or better yet days!) observing and recording your results.

I am by no means an expert of tropical frogs, but I personally believe that a temperature gradient is needed for any coldblooded critter. If they get too warm, they need to escape somewhere or die of overheating.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Nationality
    [United States]

I've decided to return it and buy a lamp shrowd that I can place over the center with the same bulb as a coil light and a new uth and place the uth on the side of the tank. Should work better as many people do this for their pacmans. Didn't want to risk it and the light doesn't produce much heat which pacmans need. Thank you for your advice.

frogmike

A glass top with a space for air is the best setup you can get! Use an under tank heat pad, and make sure the substrate is at least 3 1/2" deep so he get to hot. Also, just a reminder, keep the substate fairly damp all the way through( not just the top). UVA/UVB lights are realy not rquired with this type of frog. It has been known to cause major damage to there eyesight.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have a lot of trouble keeping his heat up and the humidity. The lights are more for a heat source and to try and get him to start eating since some of the bulbs can stimulate appetite. I don't know what else to do. He can't tell me what's wrong and I've been to the vet already twice. His stool sample came back normal. I don't know exactly what stressed him into not eating, but it was sudden. He acted like a normal pacman from all I've read and then stopped eating and started losing weight. I have no way of having an expert on pacmans examine him. I'm trying what I can to keep him alive. He's still active and moves around. He is shedding differently though. It doesn't just pull over him like a sweater anymore when he sheds. It kind kind of gets stuck around his legs after he gets it off his back. He used to pull it all off in one piece but now it gets stuck on his joints so I help him get it all off. Probably caused by me not having his humidity and temp right all the time. I even purchased a new UTH and put it on the side of the tank to increase the temp. But I guess it will take a few days of this to see a change.

demeteraurion

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I have a lot of trouble keeping his heat up and the humidity. The lights are more for a heat source and to try and get him to start eating since some of the bulbs can stimulate appetite. I don't know what else to do. He can't tell me what's wrong and I've been to the vet already twice. His stool sample came back normal. I don't know exactly what stressed him into not eating, but it was sudden. He acted like a normal pacman from all I've read and then stopped eating and started losing weight. I have no way of having an expert on pacmans examine him. I'm trying what I can to keep him alive. He's still active and moves around. He is shedding differently though. It doesn't just pull over him like a sweater anymore when he sheds. It kind kind of gets stuck around his legs after he gets it off his back. He used to pull it all off in one piece but now it gets stuck on his joints so I help him get it all off. Probably caused by me not having his humidity and temp right all the time. I even purchased a new UTH and put it on the side of the tank to increase the temp. But I guess it will take a few days of this to see a change.
    Sorry to hear this. Rupert is the same way, his shed gets stuck around his knees and feet, although I"m not sure his ever came off easily in the first place. He hasn't eaten in 3 weeks though from what I've seen. The only thing I could think is that he is preparing himself to go down for estivation or something but that seems unlikely since I keep his tank rather warm. You would think eventually they would get hungry enough that they'd finally just break down and eat something, but no!

Nationality
    [United States]

Ya I have to force feed Grif. Its all I can do to keep him going and so he has energy to move around and do whatever he wants. I've read that they feed heavily and store water before they ho down for the long nap. I'm not sure what's going on with him. It bothers me a lot. I don't know their full behavior through out the year since I've only had him for 6 months. Ill force feed him for the rest of his life if I have to. I love Grif and will do anything I have to, to keep him alive and well. I hope he goes back to normal soon.

Thread Information