Thread: Article: Culturing Crickets - Care and Breeding of the Common House Cricket

Paul Rust

Default Article: Culturing Crickets - Care and Breeding of the Common House Cricket

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Guenhwyvar

I've started a tinyish (not as big as yours) breeding tank with the first crickets that matured in my holding tank(for food). I've seen the females stick their ovipositor in the substrate, but I haven't seen any babies yet. Will the parents dig up the eggs and eat them? I've seen them do a lot of digging and tunneling in the substrate after laying. I've seen this behavior for about 2weeks now. The males are chirping up a storm and the females are really fat and big, but i still don't have any babies. I think it may be the temp, the temp here dropped suddenly and it got real cold then real hot. I'll try again, my adults are right at the end of their life cycle, with closer attention to the temp.

Jdnocente

watch breathing in the cricket smell.. it can give most ppl a lung disease much like the lung cancer that can originate from airborn waste pathogens
    Intensive Poultry Production: Fouling The Environment - United Poultry Concerns - Revised 2009

KingCam

Default Re: Article: Culturing Crickets - Care and Breeding of the Common House Cricket

Do yourselves a favor and culture roaches instead Much easier, much cleaner. I used to culture crickets, and having to clean that bin out weekly was not only a pain, but it was absolutely revolting. I only have to clean my roach bin once every 4 or 5 months.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi there,
    Ive kept crickets for a while now and i had always had the crickets turn black, slow down and die, is this normal? and should i buy younger crickets next time?

Ornate frog

Do you have to have an incubator ?

manderkeeper

I prefer a slight cricket smell over roaches. They are too creepy. I also find that roaches tend to hide in the substrate if not grabbed immediately. I hatched out crickets in a plastic cup covered with saran wrap and held on by a rubber band. I just made a very small hole in the plastic to limit condensation. I sat the cup on the radiator which kept the substrate at 80-85F. An ultratherm heat pad on a rheostat should do the trick, too. The crickets seem to do best with some heat when they are first starting out.

Thread Information