Thread: Exotic Starter Frogs/Toads

buzyee

Default Exotic Starter Frogs/Toads

I have been looking online for a few weeks now for a good exotic frog or toad that is both a good beginner animal and is mostly uncommon. Working in an exotic pet store for a good while, I have experience taking care of the common ones like fire-belly, pacman, red-eyed tree, african clawed (a personal favorite), etc. I want one that most people haven't seen, and that is a colorful and beautiful species. Suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sierra

Default Re: Exotic Starter Frogs/Toads

Have you heard of the bumblebee walking toads? They are super easy to care for, and they're tiny. I have a few pictures of mine on my profile good luck!

JeffX

I agree with the Bumbleebee Toads. They are great little toads and are very hardy.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

African clawed frogs are my personal favorites too, but not very colorful. However, I have found that some of the lesser known species are quite interesting like Xenopus borealis, X. muelleri, X. tropicalis, X. boumbaensis and X. clivii. They are easily obtained and make good conversation starters.

If you want a colorful species - try any of the Mantellas, Heterixalus alboguttatus or Heterixalus madagascariensis (Madagascar reed frogs) or any of the Scaphiophryne (Madagascar rain frogs). I had an opportunity to care for these frogs for our local zoo's Madagascar exhibits. The Heterixalus were easy to care for and breeding was no problem at all. One thing I noticed about the reed frogs - they are crazy and seem to have a death wish. I don't know how many have ended up in my uniform shirt . I was caring for about 400 frogs! The Madagascar rain frogs were a bit secretive, yet colorful and easy to care for.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

BG

Belive it or not i'v seen the bumble bee up for sale in petco

xxianxx

Hi, i have two reticulated golden xenopus laevis and they are quite pretty lol

buzyee

pics?

Nationality
    [United States]

Lecuomelas and azureus are good beginner dart frogs. They are pretty common in the dart trade but rare enough to not find them at your local petsmart. You may have to attend a reptile expo or find a local breeder (which shouldnt be hard).

A few Differences --

Leucomelas - yellow and black, one of the best group dart frogs, loud beautiful call, will use almost every inch of your tank, very bold, and very active.

Azureus - big blue frog, quiet call, should be kept in pairs of one male one female because of high aggression, generally stay on the bottom of the tank, also very bold and active.

Any more questions shoot!

-Kevin
    D. Azureus
    R. Imitator - "Cainarachi Valley "

Thread Information