Thread: Albino Clawed Frog, out of water?

Hcarney2

Default Albino Clawed Frog, out of water?

So ive got this cute little waterfall filter in my tank with my Albino Clawed frog... and it keeps jumping on top of the water fall and hanging out there all the time. I am starting to worry about it, I mean arnt they aquatic frogs? The African Clawed frog that is in the tank with it stays under water, and there are LOTS of place for the both of them to hide. So why is my frog out on land? Is this safe?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Albino Clawed Frog, out of water?

is the filter at the water line? if so they sometimes will "perch" on things.

if the filter is ABOVE the water line and he is climbing out of the water, he may be trying to escape due to poor quality water.

Do you know the readings of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

How large is the tank and how long has it been set up? How long has the filter been set up? Have you changed the filter media or filter pad lately?

How often do you water change and how much do you take out? Do you touch the filter when you do a water change? Do you treat the water with a dechlorinator before putting the new water into the tank?
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Jenna is absolutely right.

Here's a little secret... yes, clawed frogs are aquatic, however, there have been several recorded instances of these frogs leaving the water during extreme conditions. In fact, one species of clawed frog (Silurana tropicalis) likes to have floating lily pads so it can leave the water.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

5. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

Hcarney2

First thing I did was check my levels, they are normal, Ive got water lettuces in there that's evened out my nitrate level I was for a while having issues with that... I wash the filter once a week, and it wasn't very dirty. I guess that the guy was just doing it because he can. He is now back in the water and swimming around... Every once in a while Ill see him climb up there for an hour or so, then he jumps back in the water... Strange frog... The tanks been set up for about 2 months now. I do water changes when I clean the filter, but I only take like 1/5th of the water out, Once the lettuce grows more I shouldn't need to really change the water... Or I hope I wont need to change it, just got to balance the Eco system. I guess its just the strange frog in a million LOL!

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States

ok you said you checked your "levels, they are normal, Ive got water lettuces in there that's evened out my nitrate level I was for a while having issues with that"

what were your exact readings - - nitrate is not the level you have to worry about. Nitrate is actually safe in certain quantities. You want to be concerned with ammonia and nitrIte. Any readings over 0.00 ppm is harmful

When you say you clean the filter- how do you clean it exactly? You should not be cleaning it every week and it should never come in contact with tap water.

And you are not going to be building an Ecosystem. Even a fully planted tank would need water changes - - you do not have a fully planted tank and should still be doing 25% weekly.

Water changes should never be skipped - they are simple to do and are for the frogs benefit.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

xxianxx

Have any of you seen a xenopus laevis froglet on dry land? they hop like a "regular" frog, i had a batch of two hundred and i used to get the odd escapee whilst tank cleaning or transferring them from my tadpole tank to the froglet tank, they are quite agile unlike the adults who try to swim on dry land.

Thread Information