Thread: new and interested in frogs :D

Byron Salazar

Default new and interested in frogs :D

was up guys well ive recently wanted to get frogs but im at a loss for what kind of frogs i want but ive had in mind (red eyed tree frogs,tiger legged tree frog, peacock tree frogs or dart frogs) i was thinking of mixing them but as i read in lots of places people say not to so i will get 3 of the same ..any suggestions and info on taking care of them (ive looked up info but i would like to know from personal experience )
    i am saveing up for a vivarium and would like to know how big it should b and wat kind of supplies i should have
    also i live in los angeles and i cant find any reptile stores near by can u guys recommend any breeders or stores around (or online) although i would rather pick up because i feel it puts less stress on a frog and i can see before i buy
    i have other questions but i these are the main ones

Rae

Default Re: new and interested in frogs :D

I have Grey Tree Frogs so Im not too familiar with the ones you are thinking about.

For Starters I love how you are listening to many of the threads and not mixing species... next I would wait till all the care articles for the frogs are back up and running and read the care sheet on those you are interested. Make sure you can suppy the proper food, habitat, temp, lighting and humidity and any other specifics those frogs might need. It might help narrow it down a bit =). Also for 3 frogs I hope you have atleast a 30 gallon terrarium and tree frogs prefer height so a min of 24inches high is ideal. Rule of thumb you will read alot here is min 10 gallons per Frog. Hope this helped a lil!

BG

Welcome to the hobby your'e in the right place I started with white's treefrogs and theyare great low maintenance and then i got some pacmanfrogs and now i have some african bullfrogs all these guys love to eat so be prepaired to have there food in stock all the time like growing your own.good luck and dont be afraid to ask any questions

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hey there Byron glad to see you've joined our forum.

First of all, before you decide on where to buy your frogs you should definitely know the proper set up for each and weigh your options for size of tank, cost, etc. If you're planning on getting three of any of those frogs the size tank will vary BUT bigger is always better and it is best to try and go for ten gallons per frog.

Having said that, I myself and our member Grrit both own a pair of Phyllomedusa tomopterna, Super Tiger Legged Monkey Frogs, our lovely Moderator Cheri (bshmerilie) owns 4 Red Eyes and can give you lots of info on them (lots of other people own these frogs, I'm just recommending who I know has good info). I believe also that our contributor Eric has a Peacock Tree Frog (or Big Eyed Tree Frog), although I don't know any other members who may have experience with these.

I do agree with BG that White's are a good starter Tree Frog for anybody as they are great to own as pets, have wonderful personalities, are easy to care for and very affordable. Though they tend to eat a lot more than the other frogs you've mentioned above.

Once you decide one which frog species you want to keep, make sure to do your research. PM people, search the internet and this web site for care sheets/articles, and make sure you can provide for your pets finacially and spacially.

Having said ALL that, welcome to our family, and I hope you find what you're looking for!
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    --------------------------------------
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Byron Salazar

Thank you guys u all seem very friendly
    Well I'm thinking of buying a 30 gal tank but my friend is willing to sell me a 45 gal tank for about 60 bucks
    Which I hope he can ^~^
    @ bg D: African bullfrogs are beasts at eating lol my friend has one seems like thts all it does lol
    @ brit thank you for the advice I aim to have a big tank (40 gal atleast ) so they can live happily I plan to save sum extra money so I can always have food money ^~^
    How are ur super tiger legged frog ? Are they active ?
    O and do u have any online breeders u recommend I wouldn't like to have a sick frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Salazar View Post
    Thank you guys u all seem very friendly
    Well I'm thinking of buying a 30 gal tank but my friend is willing to sell me a 45 gal tank for about 60 bucks
    Which I hope he can ^~^
    @ bg D: African bullfrogs are beasts at eating lol my friend has one seems like thts all it does lol
    @ brit thank you for the advice I aim to have a big tank (40 gal atleast ) so they can live happily I plan to save sum extra money so I can always have food money ^~^
    How are ur super tiger legged frog ? Are they active ?
    O and do u have any online breeders u recommend I wouldn't like to have a sick frog
    Bigger tanks are always better so I hope your friend does sell you that 45 gallon, it'd be a great deal.

My Tiger Legs are wonderful! If you give them enough time to settle in they can be active and fun to watch. They're quite clumsy, and honestly pretty low maintenace, as long as they're healthy. I have a male and female and I love listening to my boy croak and chirp all night, they have a very interesting call.

As for breeders, you asked the right person. I got my Tiger Legs shipped to me from Mike Novy (who is a member here, and very knowledgable and a great guy, he'll give you all the information and advice you need and his frogs are healthy. ) at Rainforest Junky's. I'll give you a link to his site. If I'm not mistaken, he'll also have some Red Eyes available in case you want to venture into that area. He's got good even prices and is very flexible when it comes to time and was super patient with me, as I was a total n00b when I bought my pair. XD;

I have my pair in an 11 gallon tall and they seem to be doing fine, they're just about at adult size. I know that tank does seem a bit small but I did my research and asked Mike and he assured me they'd be ok, I'd just have to watch them closely to make sure the tank size accomodated them.

Tiger Legs are beautiful frogs, I fell in love with mine even before I got them. They do stress very easily though so if you plan on getting some make sure you follow the proper procedures to keep them happy and healthy. Phyllomedusine frogs are particularly prone to stress, so just remember that if you plan on getting them.

Hope this has helped! Here's a link to the site.

Rainforest Junky's - Home
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea
    "The gallows are no place for the stubborn//Just you and your lover as a dark souvenir" - Bad Books, Pytor

Byron Salazar

Thank you so much ur a big help ^~^ ill check his website out and contact him when I'm all set to go since Im planning to get them in about a month or so
    Still along time but I'm so excited and want to take great care of them
    Wat worries me is how to control the humidity and temp I haven't really read anything on tht but I have a month to learn
    Also do u have a misting system ? I see a lot of people having tht but others don't ? Do tiger legs need it?
    And if u have any pics could u post them id really want to c ur setup

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Salazar View Post
    Thank you so much ur a big help ^~^ ill check his website out and contact him when I'm all set to go since Im planning to get them in about a month or so
    Still along time but I'm so excited and want to take great care of them
    Wat worries me is how to control the humidity and temp I haven't really read anything on tht but I have a month to learn
    Also do u have a misting system ? I see a lot of people having tht but others don't ? Do tiger legs need it?
    And if u have any pics could u post them id really want to c ur setup
    No problem! We're always willing to help a fellow frogger in need.

I do have some pictures in my profile in an album entitled "Phyllomedusa tomopterna", if you'd like to take a look. Also I have some pictures of their vivarium in the album entitled "12"x12"x18" Exo Terra" if you want some ideas for how to build their tank. Though mine isn't perfect, there are lots of good builds out there for thin-bodied leaf and monkey frogs. Also, you should check out my friend Grrrt's profile and take a look at some of his tanks. He also got some Tiger Legs from Mike Novy at Rainforest Junky's and has had no problems, and is far more experienced with building tanks than I am. He makes very happy homes for his frogs.

I do have a misting system but it isn't used on my tiger legs, as far as I know they aren't in need of it. Generally regular misting, once or twice a day with a spray bottle is enough to keep them nice and moist. I was told they should have temp and humnidity parameters close to that of Red Eyes, I typically keep mine between 60 and 70%, but sometimes they like it a little higher, especially in the hot, dry summers. Their temp needs to stay at close to 77 F, if it goes any higher than that just keep a close eye on them. The highest I've let my tank go is to 84 F (on a liquid crystal thermometer, but I'm not sure it's 100% accurate) and that was only for a few minutes. They really shouldn't go above 80 for very long.

Also, it's good if you set up your tank without frogs about a month in advance so you can see how the temp and humidity works and learn how to control it, also this helps to let your plants grow big and strong before you intorduce any frogs into the viv.

One more thing, it would really help us if you put your country and your state in your viv. It's easier to tell people how to deal with their frogs if we know the kind of climate you live in.
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

Byron Salazar

i checked the pics out n it looks really nice
    yea ive heard of his website i might consider buying from him ive also heard alot of good things about joshs frog
    i was thinking of haveing the tank a while before i buy any so i could get used to controling its temp and humidity
    i only change the country i did not see the state but ill look again might have over looked it

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Josh's Frogs works with Rainforest Junky's on all of their tree frogs, I believe. Not 100% on how it's going now but when I had a conversation from someone with Josh's frogs a little while back they said they're affiliated with Mike Novy, so buying from them should be about the same I think/ I haven't heard any bad reviews from Josh's either, so they're probably a safe bet.

I see you've added your country, but your state would be really helpful. It goes under "location".
    0.0.2 Litoria caerulea

JeffX

Controlling the temp and humidity really isn't that hard. I use a thin piece of plastic on my tanks. You can also use a towel or anything really to keep the humidity in. I think most people use undertank heaters for heat.

Thread Information